Lords of the Fallen (2023) [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Is it really so hard to grasp that performance isn't everything to most people? They are allowed to still enjoy a game despite some technical flaw(s). There's nothing unreasonable about this. Giving it some low score over stutter issues even though they overall had a good time playing the game wouldn't be an honest review, it would be a protest. All they can do is give their opinion, and that's the way it should be. Nobody should be demanded to review games in any certain way outside their own subjective experience. This isn't a teacher grading a test.

I mean, I loved Bloodborne. That was a mere 30fps with drops *and* had constant stutter issues on top of that. Still loved it. Did it detract from the experience? Yea, it did. In fact, it's probably the only thing keeping it from being tied as my favorite Souls-like game. But it didn't ruin the game for me. As usual, it's the sort of thing that I tend to just phase out after a while if the game is good, especially if it's the only game I play for a time.

Uh who said anything about not being able to enjoy the game? An 8/10 is a very good score. Points should be deducted for poor technical quality just like points are deducted for poor gameplay. This isn’t a controversial opinion.

It’s your prerogative to forgive and overlook shoddy work but that shouldn’t set the bar for everyone else. I agree most games have small glitches that we all ignore but there’s a limit.

Uh who said anything about not being able to enjoy the game? An 8/10 is a very good score. Points should be deducted for poor technical quality just like points are deducted for poor gameplay. This isn’t a controversial opinion.

It’s your prerogative to forgive and overlook shoddy work but that shouldn’t set the bar for everyone else. I agree most games have small glitches that we all ignore but there’s a limit.
How do you know their score wasn't affected by the stuttering issue? They certainly complained about it in the actual review(that I'm guessing you didn't actually read/watch).

Either way, I dont think you understand that game reviews shouldn't be treated like test grading, where you deduct 'x' points for every flaw in the game. It is all completely subjective. You can point out that some technical issue exists, but how much it actually bothers somebody is still 100% subjective. I could write a short novel-length book about the things Skyrim doesn't do well, yet it is still one of my favorite games ever made. Upsides can outweigh downsides.

So ultimately, there is nothing at all wrong with the reviewer giving it an 8/10 score. They did their job of pointing out the issue exists, and then it's up to readers to assess how much they think that will bother them. It shouldn't demand that the reviewer give it a low score just cuz you are perhaps more sensitive to such issues that you absolutely cannot enjoy a game with such a flaw. The reviewer clearly still had a good time with the game despite this issue.

This is not 'overlooking shoddy' work, this is just understanding what the purpose of a review is, and understanding that people have opinions that are different from my own and that this is ok. You are free to open up your own review site so you can give low scores to any game that doesn't perform as well as you like, no matter how good the rest of the game is. It is not reasonable to demand other reviewers conform to your own preferences, though.

How do you know their score wasn't affected by the stuttering issue? They certainly complained about it in the actual review(that I'm guessing you didn't actually read/watch).

Either way, I dont think you understand that game reviews shouldn't be treated like test grading, where you deduct 'x' points for every flaw in the game. It is all completely subjective. You can point out that some technical issue exists, but how much it actually bothers somebody is still 100% subjective. I could write a short novel-length book about the things Skyrim doesn't do well, yet it is still one of my favorite games ever made. Upsides can outweigh downsides.

So ultimately, there is nothing at all wrong with the reviewer giving it an 8/10 score. They did their job of pointing out the issue exists, and then it's up to readers to assess how much they think that will bother them. It shouldn't demand that the reviewer give it a low score just cuz you are perhaps more sensitive to such issues that you absolutely cannot enjoy a game with such a flaw. The reviewer clearly still had a good time with the game despite this issue.

This is not 'overlooking shoddy' work, this is just understanding what the purpose of a review is, and understanding that people have opinions that are different from my own and that this is ok. You are free to open up your own review site so you can give low scores to any game that doesn't perform as well as you like, no matter how good the rest of the game is. It is not reasonable to demand other reviewers conform to your own preferences, though.

Ok buddy.

Back