Llano IGP vs SNB IGP vs IVB IGP

Desktop:
Model Number CPU cores CPU Freq. L2 Cache Turbo Core Model GPU GPU Config GPU Freq. TDP Release Date
E2-3250 2 1 MB TBD HD 6370 160:??:? 443 MHz 65 W Q3 2011
A4-3350 2 2 MB N/A HD 6410 160:??:? 594 MHz 65 W July 20, 2011
A4-3360 2 2 MB N/A HD 6410 160:??:? 594 MHz 65 W Q4 2011
A6-3450 4 4 MB N/A HD 6530 320:??:? 443 MHz 65 W June 20, 2011
A6-3450P 4 4 MB N/A HD 6530 320:??:? 443 MHz 100 W June 20, 2011
A6-3460 4 4 MB N/A HD 6530 320:??:? 443 MHz 65 W Q4 2011
A6-3460P 4 4 MB N/A HD 6530 320:??:? 443 MHz 100 W Q4 2011
A6-3550 4 4 MB N/A HD 6550 400:??:? 594 MHz 65 W June 20, 2011
A8-3550P 4 4 MB N/A HD 6550 400:??:? 594 MHz 100 W June 20, 2011
A8-3560 4 4 MB N/A HD 6550 400:??:? 594 MHz 65 W Q4 2011
A8-3560P 4 4 MB N/A HD 6550 400:??:? 5940 MHz 100 W Q4 2011

Mobile:
Model Number CPU cores CPU Freq. L2 Cache Turbo Core Turbo Speed GPU Model GPU Config GPU Freq. MEM Freq. TDP Release Date
A8-3510MX 4 1.8 GHz 4 MB Yes 2.5GHz HD 6620M 480:24:8 500 - 725 MHz ? 45 W June 2011
A4-3330M 2 2.2 GHz 2 MB Yes ? HD 6480M 160:8:4 ? ? ? June 2011
? ? ? ? ? ? HD 6620Ga ? 400 - 500 MHz 667 - 800 MHz ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? HD 6520Gb ? 400 - 440 MHz 667 - 800 MHz ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? HD 6480Gc ? 400 - 500 MHz 667 - 800 MHz ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? HD 6380Gd ? 400 - 500 MHz 667 - 667 MHz ? ?

Some of that is confusing but we can fill in some of it.
Since when the shader count or the mhz changes they have a different GPU model.
As well as the number of CPU cores and L2 cache MB line up...

Last edited by a moderator:
why 3 pci slot?

for people needing a parellel port, tuner, sound card, add an old 100Mb NIC, lab/industrial equipment?
all the same old reasons.

I run a sound card and an Ati Rage in my PCI slots for instance. if noise wasn't a concern I could plug it in an old SCSI controller and have a raid 0 of low latency old disks for the operating system.

I've been paying attention to PCIe slots now, I run a cheap PCIe gigabit NIC, and there are some great PCIe sound cards.
the PCIe 16x slots, even if working at 4x are very versatile. low power graphics card for adding outputs, PCIe 1x card, or high bandwith stuff that already exist but is yet to come to the consumer market (10GBase-T, Thunderbolt)

if the board has IOMMU I'm sold;

so this board looks very nice. lack of IDE means, well I'm giving up optical drives.
sure they could have made it so you lose a PCI slot when you use a dual slot GPU.

a bit more detail - and prices:
amdbulldozerlianofiyat_dh_fx57.jpg

http://www.donanimhaber.com/islemci...iano-islemcileri-icin-ilk-fiyat-bilgileri.htm

The price looks so low on the highest models that i'm starting to ask if bulldozer is a new "agena core"

it's about the price of Intel's new "high end" i.e. the core i7 2600k.

sure there is the hexacore on socket 1366, and the future processors on socket 2011 but those are rather marginal for consumers. AMD's socket C32 somewhat competes with them.

Still looks like HD6450-ish performance. Well maybe a bit more for the faster parts. That's what everybody is expecting anyways, so I'm not really impressed. Still, great for a IGP, should make for quite nice not too expensive notebooks.
I'd be more impressed though if we wouldn't know the cpu part is unlikely to be competitive.

It's going to come down to price. Power consumption is important too but in the end Llano based notebooks will have to come up with decent overall performance to avoid being associated with "cheap" relative to Intel. AMD has worn that badge for too long and it continues to hurt them.

It's going to come down to price. Power consumption is important too but in the end Llano based notebooks will have to come up with decent overall performance to avoid being associated with "cheap" relative to Intel. AMD has worn that badge for too long and it continues to hurt them.

There is nothing in that list that has a TDP lower than 65W.
That's not impossible in a notebook, but it's not terribly desirable either, particularly given that the graphics inevitably will be rather lack-luster compared to dedicated gfx-solutions with much better memory subsystems.

The price looks so low on the highest models that i'm starting to ask if bulldozer is a new "agena core"

By architectural analysis and leaks alike, it's probably going to be beaten by Sandy Bridge in terms of single thread performance, but may make up for it in multithreaded performance, provided you can use 8 threads load balanced, and without memory hierarchy limitations. I'd say the pricing is higher than I fear is justified in the real world, but hope to get a positive surprise. Very curious about the performance of their new memory controller.

There is nothing in that list that has a TDP lower than 65W.
That's not impossible in a notebook, but it's not terribly desirable either, particularly given that the graphics inevitably will be rather lack-luster compared to dedicated gfx-solutions with much better memory subsystems.

Those are only for the desktop parts. The Laptop parts have a TDP of 45W or less.

With DDR3-1600 they'll have almost as much memory as the desktop equivalent (in this case the Radeon 5570). And with the clocks being lower than the 5570 it shouldnt be too starved of memory b/w. We're still talking roughly 3-4X Sandy Bridge performance

almost yesterday most laptop graphics used to have 64bit ddr2 or be an Intel GMA X3000, now it's sandy bridge or a llano with 128bit ddr3.

an interesting test would be running duke nukem forever, or rage for that matter. I hereby predict they will run great on a 45W llano :)

With DDR3-1600 they'll have almost as much memory as the desktop equivalent (in this case the Radeon 5570). And with the clocks being lower than the 5570 it shouldnt be too starved of memory b/w. We're still talking roughly 3-4X Sandy Bridge performance
Except that there's also a CPU and some other subsystems using that RAM bandwidth. It will be interesting to see its performance. I think it will probably be beaten by Radeon 3850/4670/5570 or GeForce 9600 level hardware. Which is still ok I guess as it establishes a new budget gaming performance level.

Except that there's also a CPU and some other subsystems using that RAM bandwidth. It will be interesting to see its performance. I think it will probably be beaten by Radeon 3850/4670/5570 or GeForce 9600 level hardware. Which is still ok I guess as it establishes a new budget gaming performance level.

>360/PS3 power in intergrated chips can only be a good thing. But by the time these chips are in the majority of PC's we'll be looking forward to the next generation of consoles.

That said, now that AMD are in on the game and Intel look like they are starting to get serious (especially in light of the new competition from AMD) we might see the intergrated chips equaling the power of next gen consoles much sooner next generation. If your basic off the shelf laptop is able to graphically compete with next gen consoles by only midway through their life then it could bode very nicely for PC gaming.

I think most people underestimate the truly huge advantage of PC gaming that is cost of games. I don't think I've paid more that £12 for a game in 2 years and most of those are AAA's from the same period. Take that alongside a platform that everyone has already for doing homework and you have a pretty potent combination.

We're still talking roughly 3-4X Sandy Bridge performance

I don't think so. Here's a benchmark for Nforce 420: http://www.anandtech.com/show/828/12

Sharing memory takes quite a bit off performance. Nforce 420 with 50% more memory bandwidth gets outperformed by the Geforce 2 by 20-30%.

Benches comparing 5570 with 5450 gives a difference of 2.5-3.5x depending on the application. Also, the leaked benches suggest 1.5-2x difference, unless you include the 6EU chip. There's even the laptop comparison slide which shows gains as little as 30%.

I don't think so. Here's a benchmark for Nforce 420: http://www.anandtech.com/show/828/12

Sharing memory takes quite a bit off performance. Nforce 420 with 50% more memory bandwidth gets outperformed by the Geforce 2 by 20-30%.

Benches comparing 5570 with 5450 gives a difference of 2.5-3.5x depending on the application. Also, the leaked benches suggest 1.5-2x difference, unless you include the 6EU chip. There's even the laptop comparison slide which shows gains as little as 30%.

I agree with your critique of Erinyes statement, but I think this link from Anandtech, directly comparing the desktop HD5570 with Sandy Bridge HD3000 drives home the point that there is no way that Llano can offer 3-4 times SB performance. Direct comparison link
Also, while Bulldozer will offer some improvements over the previous generation in terms of main memory handling, I have heard nothing of the sort for Llano (not that I've had my ear to the rail for that processor. Not my segment professionally.).

I agree with your critique of Erinyes statement, but I think this link from Anandtech, directly comparing the desktop HD5570 with Sandy Bridge HD3000 drives home the point that there is no way that Llano can offer 3-4 times SB performance. Direct comparison link
Also, while Bulldozer will offer some improvements over the previous generation in terms of main memory handling, I have heard nothing of the sort for Llano (not that I've had my ear to the rail for that processor. Not my segment professionally.).
It is said that some changes have taken place through K10.5 to Llano, most are not about memory system but maybe some.

True the CPU will definitely have an impact but i dont expect it to be extremely significant (looking at Zacate performance). Here is my own post from earlier in the thread regarding that - "Zacate with its GPU at 500 mhz performs anywhere between 50-70% of a discrete Radeon 5450 (which is clocked at 650 mhz, so its got a 23% clock disadvantage anyway)"

Edit: And Zacate has a 64 bit DDR3-1066 memory controller. Radeon 5450 is mostly using 64 bit DDR3-1600

Hmmm maybe i was being too optimistic regarding the performance of Llano, i think i should revise my estimate to 2X-3X of Sandy Bridge performance. The link you've posted shows that the 5570 regularly performs about 2.5 - 3X of Sandy Bridge, but that isnt a true comparison IMHO. The comparison needs to be performed at medium detail and/or higher resolution. If you have the GPU performance of Llano, you wont need to run at low detail except for the most demanding games. And moving to medium details and/or higher resolution can change the picture quite a bit.

And Llano will have a distinct CPU disadvantage which will definitely be felt in some games (eg. Battlefield BC2, Starcraft II to name a few). 32nm should move the clocks up a bit and with the addition of Turbo mode the CPU performance should take a step up from current Athlon II/Phenom II levels. So i think overall a figure of 2X-3X is quite possible. (Also Llano + hybrid Crossfire with Redwood/Turks will be a formidable mobile gaming platform)

Oh and Llano will feel the heat from Ivy bridge six months after its release. If IB manages to double SB performace, its not going to be a pretty sight for Llano.

Back