Live Video Downloads more successful than Amazon download [Report]

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
It seems the ease of use of the Video downloads under live is proving more successful than amazon's download service:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117956232.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1&query=xbox

The biggest surprise of the year, however, has been Microsoft offering movie rentals and TV downloads to the Xbox 360 via its Xbox Live Internet service.

Though there are fewer than 3.5 million 360s in the U.S. by last count, movies available from Warner and Paramount, as well as content from CBS and MTV on the TV side, are doing at least as well and, in some cases, better than on competing Web sites, which are available to anyone with a PC and high-speed Internet connection.

Xbox 360 owners are a tech-savvy and media-hungry bunch, of course, but the relatively strong start for video downloads on the console show that there is a market when watching a download is as easy as pushing a few buttons.

HD has proved particularly popular with Xbox 360 owners, many of whom already use the console to play vidgames in high-def.

For Warner, the only studio offering HD versions of its movies, consumers are consistently downloading more copies of a pic in high-def than in standard def when both are offered, even though it takes several extra hours to get the HD version.

"If you look at our sales charts, movies like 'The Perfect Storm,' 'Unforgiven' and 'Swordfish' are all doing disproportionately better than you would expect, and the only explanation is that they're available in HD," said Ross Honey, senior director for media in Microsoft's content and partner strategy group.

Interestingly the report also gives some indication that MS may be having some success in penetrating "into the livingroom" and breaking out of the pure gamer mold a little:

Some studios had been worried that only young male-skewing content would get downloaded by gamers. That fear has been realized to some extent.

While "V for Vendetta" and "South Park" are the most popular downloads on Xbox Live, other titles on the top 10 chart include "The Lake House," "Failure to Launch" and "CSI," indicating that some people who typically don't play "Halo" are watching video content on the 360.

That's a good sign for Microsoft, which wants to make its vidgame console an entertainment center for the whole family, even if it was purchased for a young gamer.

Well, I'm not surprised. It's exactly as the article says:

Xbox 360 owners are a tech-savvy and media-hungry bunch...

...HD has proved particularly popular with Xbox 360 owners, many of whom already use the console to play vidgames in high-def.

Though I'm annoyed at how they structured this wording:

Some studios had been worried that only young male-skewing content would get downloaded by gamers. That fear has been realized to some extent.

Yet they go on to give reasons why studios shouldn't fear that. Well, whatever. :)

IMO the downloads are too expensive, but again I'm not surprised it's doing well.

Movies and TV sgows through live sounds very appealing but 20GB harddrive space is pitiful today and severely cripples the concept.

Most people buy things to keep them and having to delete to make room for new stuff and then redownload the old before being able to watchh again is a bother.

If MS released a bigger harddrive (to a reasonable price) I'm sure they could sell lots lots more video material through live.

Oeace.

Movies and TV sgows through live sounds very appealing but 20GB harddrive space is pitiful today and severely cripples the concept.

Most people buy things to keep them.
That's fundamentally different from a rental service though. I dunno what XBLive's service is, but low cost deliveries for short-term viewings don't need lots of storage.

IMO the downloads are too expensive, but again I'm not surprised it's doing well.

i wouldn't say they are too expensive...it's about $5 either way but Marketplace HD downloads have many more benefits

traditional movie rentals:

the cost of driving to the local video store to pay $5 to rent a standard def DVD for only 5 days and then the hassle of returning it on time is well....a hassle and actually more expensive

XBLMP HD rentals:

i turn on the unit, click buy, and wait a few hours to start watching, or wait nearly two weeks before i decide to watch it...plus it's in HD, and it still only costs me +/- $5 to rent, i don't have to drive anywhere or worry about late fees

Most people buy things to keep them and having to delete to make room for new stuff and then redownload the old before being able to watchh again is a bother.

If MS released a bigger harddrive (to a reasonable price) I'm sure they could sell lots lots more video material through live.

Oeace.

agreed, the HDD size limitation is quite a PITA at this point, i would be really happy if there were say a 60Gb HDD available, but not at the typical M$ pricing, if the 20Gb HDD is $100 i am sure they would be able to justify to themselves charging $150 + for a 60Gb HDD......what i am hoping for is Gamestop to take my used 20Gb HDD as a trade and give me $40-$50 store credit which i would apply to the $150 60Gb HDD netting a $100 +/- out of pocket expense to upgrade

Oeace.

The movies that are downloaded have an experation date. Although a bigger harddrive would be nice it is not needed for the service to do well. I have a few shows from David Chapell (sp?) and enjoyed watching them, but have no desire to keep them on my hard drive for future viewing.

If they offered rentals for say $2~ (even if for only the first 6 months to a year), this service would just TAKE OFF. They need the mass market appear and spread for these types of delivery services to really take the public appeal by storm.

MS, lower the prices. (even though your board said No, lol).

Wondering if this article is kinda that foreshadowing piece of news that sets up to announce new services/deals off of Live for CES 07.....? [specially since CES is around the corner and lots of companies with Content deals will be announced].

How much is a high-download high-speed internet service in the states per month?

In Australia I'm paying $79 for 1.5MBit @ 40GB/month. A HD movie download service just wouldn't work with those sort of limits. I don't understand how this can take off, unless your infrastructure is just so much better.

How much is a high-download high-speed internet service in the states per month?

In Australia I'm paying $79 for 1.5MBit @ 40GB/month. A HD movie download service just wouldn't work with those sort of limits. I don't understand how this can take off, unless your infrastructure is just so much better.

Depends on where you live... I pay about $50 for 5mbit/256(not sure)kbit with no limit (on paper as it were) through comcast. And I live in Fredericksburg VA

Wondering if this article is kinda that foreshadowing piece of news that sets up to announce new services/deals off of Live for CES 07.....? [specially since CES is around the corner and lots of companies with Content deals will be announced].

Possibly. I've always felt that MS would have to sweeten the deal with Live Gold or make online play free. I think they will always have gold level and it will be pay service, but I think that once they get other compelling content at the Gold level, they would slide the online gaming down to silver...

I play $15 a month for a 4Mb/768Kb connection with no bandwidth limit. Sounds to me you're getting heavily ripped off in Australia.

i pay $42 USD a month for a Comcast broadband connection, it's advertised as 8Mb down 384kb upload speeds, but i typically get more like 9/300 on a regular basis, in the states it varies greatly depending on where you live

keep in mind that even with this type of personal allocated bandwidth, Microsoft's Marketplace service doesn't fill my pipes up, so it still takes hours, around 4-6 hours for a 5-6Gb HD movie to download, i typically start it the day before i want to watch it, like if my wife and i were going to watch a movie Friday night, i would download it overnight tomorrow night

I play $15 a month for a 4Mb/768Kb connection with no bandwidth limit. Sounds to me you're getting heavily ripped off in Australia.

Sounds like you're getting a really good deal yourself! I think I'm around $60 for 5Mb/384kb with no BW limit. Stupid cable company, always trying to bend you over. Bring on the FiOS! D'oh, lazy phone company won't spend the freakin money.

Sounds like you're getting a really good deal yourself! I think I'm around $60 for 5Mb/384kb with no BW limit. Stupid cable company, always trying to bend you over. Bring on the FiOS! D'oh, lazy phone company won't spend the freakin money.

Maybe, but last I knew AT&T still offered their $20 a month for a 3Mb/384Kb connection. I just got lucky and they recently upgraded the entire system in my town and therefore they're offering the connection I have, also to make sure the local cable companies 1Mb/256Kb connection for $30 a month looks even worse.

I pay 89 pacifc pesos (aka Australian $) for a 20GB (down only, up is unlimited) ADSL2+ connection that is currently conntected at about 6000/800 (crappy line quality). Of course I'm paying a premium for a static IP. If I had a dynamic IP i could get 40 GB down ADSL2+ for $79 AUD. At the beginning of last year for a while I was in a rented house in the inner city of Adelaide, I was getting connection speeds of 21MB/s down. Yay for ADSL line quality. It was really hard to go back from that...

Depending on where you are in Australia, there are high speed broadband packages available from specific ISPs that are not reliant on Telstra Wholesale ADSL. The problem though is the download limits.

You couldn't reasonably download more than a handful of movies a month from a service like Live because of the size of the download. Movies from non official distribution channels tend to be quite a bit smaller so it's possible to get more of those.

Download limits....... that's horrible. Surely there's no real reason for them other than to make more money is there?

I wonder how much of the 'success' of these movie/TV downloads on 360 could be contributed to easy usage as apposed to what PC users have to go with with many standards, options, providers, etc.
I see myself using 360 since it is hooked to my TV and has a relatively simple user interface than going through multiple PC services and what the each demand.

also, I don't give much attention to the initial performance of any new service (especially tech savvy ones) since there will always be the exited first adopters. I want to see how the service pans out in a few months time.

If they offered rentals for say $2~ (even if for only the first 6 months to a year), this service would just TAKE OFF. They need the mass market appear and spread for these types of delivery services to really take the public appeal by storm.

MS, lower the prices. (even though your board said No, lol).

I am not bothered by the prices, though of course I can always wish they were lower. Too me they are about in line with Blockbuster if not lower, plus you save gas/hassle of returns.

I wish though, they would give a 2-3 day viewing window on movies like DVD rentals, rather than 24 hours. The latter isn't really a problem, but just seems an awfully short time.

Oh, another super keen thing about the service is, if you download the SD version of a movie (which really is fine in many cases, especially say comedies) you start the download and in about 10-15 minutes it is ready to play (while continuing to download of course). This is really pretty nifty and approaches video on demand. I can see it being great in a group setting.

The services achilles heel continues to be relative lack of content. But here is a great explanation of the business behind that I found on Xbox.com forums about that (the posts from wrh_Canuck who apparantly works for ms):

http://forums.xbox.com/9272767/ShowPost.aspx

Oh just to add my hat to the ISP tangent, I pay $40 a month from cox for 4mbit. ATT is really kicking ass though, they offer me 6-8 Mb for $35, 3mbit for $25, and 1.5 for $20. Not only that but I read that one of the conditions they agreed to to get the FCC commissioners to sign off on their new merger with SBC is that they must offer new customers 1.5mb DSL for $10 for 30 months (I think they just agreed to do this for a couple years, but they may decide to continue it beyond their promise as well). The only reason I haven't switched is lazyness, and I'm used to my current setup, but I will oneday, unless cox gives me a sweet deal on a package that includes HTDV.

Not only that but ATT is investing a ton in fiber to the curb or whatever they call it to deliver tv on demand and even more speed and all that jazz, while Verizon fios is one better, fiber to your house, with a 30mb connection IIRC. Cool stuff. I think a headline recently summed it up after the ATT/SBC merger, "welcome back Ma Bell :)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back