Little problem with my new TI4200

Teasy

Veteran
I just got my Gainward Geforce 4 TI4200, so far everything is ok appart from one problem. When I start GTA3 the monitor turns itself off. This looks like a refresh rate problem, but I've used a few different tools to try to set the refresh rate for the res GTA3 was using when I last started it (1024x768) to 60hz, but the monitor still turns itself off. Also 3dmark2000 and 3dmark2001 as well as Virtua Tennis (the only other games I have on the PC right now) have no problems at all and run fine..

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

EDIT: Just tried FIFA 2002 and it also works fine still all the other games I've tried that work are D3D, is GTA3 D3D or OpenGL?

Yeah I'm already using the official 30.38 drivers. Sorry I should have mentioned my current drivers straight away.

Check the Readme.txt, IIRC there is a link to some Microsoft patch. Maybe it helps.

AFAIR that patch was for corrupt menu's, I installed it when I first installed the game.

Are you running WindowsXP?

check what your refresh is set to in 640x480 as thats what the game defaults to. For some reason XP doesn't handle 640x480 very well, at least not for my system.

If you can't arse with it any other way, you can do the force refresh in DxDiag to make sure that its what you want in 640x480 for the games. You can turn that back off after you get GTA3 up and running in a different default res.

Sounds more like a GTA3 problem than a vid card problem. And that game has got its fair share of them unfortunately.
Go check the PC Forums at GTA3 Forums

(edit: OH BTW GTA3 is a D3D game)

Slightly off topic...

Teasy, why didn't you buy a PowerVR Series 4 based card instead?

*Ahem*

behead.gif

supergrin.gif

Are you running WindowsXP?

Yep

check what your refresh is set to in 640x480 as thats what the game defaults to

I think its still at 1024x768x32 like it was when I played it with the 8500LE before I uninstalled it. But I did use NVTweak to force all resolutions to 60hz, and I'm still having the problem, so far only with GTA3.

If you can't arse with it any other way, you can do the force refresh in DxDiag to make sure that its what you want in 640x480 for the games

How can I do that in DxDiag?

ripvanwinkle, I'll check out the forum.

Joe, I don't need to buy one, I have one in my other PC already :)

Oh and before you start thinking I've now gone over to the dark side you should realise that all along I've owned cards from most of the 3d companies. 3 3DFX cards, 4 Nvidia cards, 4 ATI cards, 2 PowerVR cards and 1 S3. I like to try out different cards for a few months and then sell them. Rest assured when the next PowerVR card arrives I won't be keeping this Geforce 4 ;)

Oh and before you start thinking I've now gone over to the dark side...

Actually I was thinking no such thing. You don't have to justify your purchasing habits to me. :)

I was only referring to the looming Sept 30 "deadline" for our little bet. ;)

Have you downloaded Service Pack 1 for XP? It overhauls the refresh rate system for D3D....

I've downloaded all the WinXP web updates, is that the same or would I get something from the service pack 1 that I wouldn't get from the normal web updates?

Actually I was thinking no such thing. You don't have to justify your purchasing habits to me.

Justify my purchasing habbits? I bellieve you mean describe my purchasing habbits, there was no justifying happening there. But of course you can't resist a pop can you. Do this thread a favour Joe, play nice or leave.

I was only referring to the looming Sept 30 "deadline" for our little bet.

There is no looming date, September was the "bet" and it has passed, I also carried out the bet as I already said ;) If your not happy with that then too bad :p

Please, from now on, try to keep this thread on topic.

Back