Linux Newbie in dear help! Problems compiling Highpoint RocketRaid OpenSource Driver

Bummer. In that case, you need to edit the config file. Or try apt-get, update or install. But it's not a good thing.

Saem said:
Which version of Debian?
I'm not really sure. Whichever one this is:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd/

This appears to be the latest amd64 version available, as the last change was June 29 of this year.

Anyway, trying Suse right now, and having more issues! Installed it, and the thing hangs with a kernel panic immediately after the bootloader (I only see the error if trying to start in failsafe mode....in default mode I just get a black screen with some corruption). I think I'll try updating to a more recent kernel, but this is really annoying.

AMD64 isn't the most stable yet -- Debian stable is nothing short of long in the tooth.

As for SuSE. Too bad really, AFAIK, SuSE has been working with it for a long time, I'm really surprised that you're encountering many problems.

I did some searching at www.suseforums.net. I'm not entirely sure about your system config, but I imagine that the following is close and might help here

The big thing seems to be install and have it load up in text mode and don't necessarily use the latest drivers.

Yeah, I got SuSE working. The default kernel that installs with the system was the problem, and updating the kernel with the latest RPM from Novell solved the problem. But then it didn't do the post-install configuration, so I had no user accounts! It was rather fun getting that all working properly, since I kept making stupid mistakes.

Despite all the issues I've had, I really really like the way that SuSE is set up. I'd say it's vastly superior in features to Fedora.

I'm really glad you like it. There might be a few things that are bothersome, for instance getting some of the more esoteric packages or the MOST up to date ones. But the nice thing about SuSE is that it is system (packages working together) tested.

If you spend a lot of time in KDE, I SERIOUSLY recommend adding the unsupported yet updated KDE packages from SuSE. Though for that it might be wise to start a new thread.

Saem said:
If you spend a lot of time in KDE, I SERIOUSLY recommend adding the unsupported yet updated KDE packages from SuSE. Though for that it might be wise to start a new thread.
Nah, I'm a Gnome fan myself.

As a side comment, do you know of a good debugger for Linux? kdbg doesn't seem to like virtual classes, and ddd is horrible for working with arrays.

Edit:
Hrm, nevermind, looks like more recent versions of kdbg are okay with virtual classes. It's still not as good at watching arrays as it could be, though it's much less of a hassle than ddd.

Well, I finally got my SuSE 9.1 to compile my Highpoint Driver and it's all up and working! :D

I must say, I think I'm already getting used to the idea of using SuSE. I think once I get Enlightenment running and my handful of software that I need (php5, mysql, Nicotine slsk, Samba), I should be all set and back where I was on Fedora.

...now I just have to change that ugly splash screen and I'm all set! :cool:

Thanks for the support everyone!

Phil said:
Well, I finally got my SuSE 9.1 to compile my Highpoint Driver and it's all up and working! :D
Excellent :)

Sorry that I sort of co-opted your thread with my own issues, but I'm glad that it's working for you. And hey, I think I'm starting to really like SuSE myself.

SuSE is the only major distribution I have never tried, but now I am tempted. How are you all getting the distribution? Are you using the ftp version or what? I prefer being able to download ISOs (DVD is good) but SuSE have always been problematic about this. Is the Eval version limited and cannot be fleshed out with software from the ftp?

This is all very confusing.

EDIT: Ok, I just browsed the FTP and I see the ISOs there. Weird how that is not mentioned on the main download page. Is that what you all have been snagging?

Well, I used the FTP version, which you get by downloading a single small ISO that gets you a bootable CD that you can use to start the installation. Unfortunately for me, I have no DVD writer at the moment, and there was no CD installation for x86_64. But having a fast connection, the FTP installation worked well enough.

If you have a DVD writer, I guess there'd be no reason not to just use the DVD ISO.

Chalnoth said:
Well, I used the FTP version, which you get by downloading a single small ISO that gets you a bootable CD that you can use to start the installation. Unfortunately for me, I have no DVD writer at the moment, and there was no CD installation for x86_64. But having a fast connection, the FTP installation worked well enough.

If you have a DVD writer, I guess there'd be no reason not to just use the DVD ISO.

I managed to find www.opensuse.org after posting and it more or less confirmed that those 5 CD ISOs are the ones to use. I'm just confounded by what the difference is between the FTP and the Eval version. I don't see any sense in them being different, but it sure sounds like it from the SuSE download page.

Then again, the Live DVD ISO is really weird. It is not installable! They claim that is the right version if you want to verify if it works on your hardware. But...LOL! Wouldn't it be easier to just test install it? With the Live you have to re-download everything once you decided you want to "buy". I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this, but a Live/Install DVD would be nicer.

I think I am going to put off grabbing this until version 10 final is released, unless someone is going to tell me that it take a while for the new finals to be released free on the Net. I'll probably be running this on a x86 machine as I want to keep my Fedora Core on the x86_64 and cannot be bothered to install a new hard disk to test SuSE. I just wanna see what it looks and feels like. I haven't used KDE in a long long time and I got slightly nauseous when I was confronted by it running Knoppix the other day. (But then again, Knoppix is a total mess GUI-wise. /pets Bluecurve)

SuSE is a bit weird. Because of licensing issues, they've got two major flavours. One is with commercial/non-free software (mpeg, mp3, OCR, and a load of others) the other is not. I think the Eval version is not easily installable due to their licensing issues, but it contains all the commercial and non-free stuff.

There are five ways to get SuSE. First, you could get the retail disks. Second, AFAIK, it's legal to get copies (might depend upon the country) from say a friend of the retail disks. Third, is to dl the full installable ISO (released much later than the most current retail). Fourth, download the mini-iso and do an FTP install. Lastly, get OpenSuSE. The last three options don't get you the extra tidbits that can be nice.

My personal recommendation is to check BT for the latest retail SUSE, 10.0 pro is about to released in a few days, it's shipping as of the 30th of september.

PS. Chalnoth, pfft, GNOME! =P There are updates for that as well in the supplementary repository.

Saem said:
There are five ways to get SuSE. First, you could get the retail disks. Second, AFAIK, it's legal to get copies (might depend upon the country) from say a friend of the retail disks.
Actually, the GPL license demands that you can do this. There may be some controversy with any non-GPL content in those install disks, but I'd say go for it if it's an option, for the simple reason that the GPL license demands that anybody can freely distribute the software as they see fit (so basically if you pay for any linux distribution you're only paying for the convenience of buying the CD's, a manual, and/or a service contract).

PS. Chalnoth, pfft, GNOME! =P There are updates for that as well in the supplementary repository.
Yeah, I'm going to have to go back and look for some more updates. Already got the one that updates xmms to support MP3's, now I need to update xine for DIVX support.

I think it's really cool that SuSE has native download and installation of non-GPL stuff through their own package download utility, such as the nVidia binary drivers.

There are few weird things though with SuSE. For instance, when you install firefox you get an old version, but then you run YOU (YaST Online Update) and then you get the latest version, but you have to do it in that order.

What's really nice is the fact that the jvm and flash come preinstalled -- older version but updating it is easy.

I've been trying like crazy (well, let's say I've tried :D) to get the ISO DVD for x86 (32 bits) for Suse 9.3, or whatever is the latest stable version, but I can't seem to find it. All the links on the Mirror download page point to a 184MB file (although stated as 4.3GB) that has nothing but missing files all over the place, and this turns like this on all the mirrors I've tried. And BitTorrent doesn't show much of a list, and I don't feel that confident with files I can't check the source. Can anyone point me out to any server (preferably from Europe) with these ISO files? Five CD's is just too much.

MatiasZ said:
I've been trying like crazy (well, let's say I've tried :D) to get the ISO DVD for x86 (32 bits) for Suse 9.3, or whatever is the latest stable version, but I can't seem to find it. All the links on the Mirror download page point to a 184MB file (although stated as 4.3GB) that has nothing but missing files all over the place, and this turns like this on all the mirrors I've tried. And BitTorrent doesn't show much of a list, and I don't feel that confident with files I can't check the source. Can anyone point me out to any server (preferably from Europe) with these ISO files? Five CD's is just too much.
It should be right there with the CD ISO's on the mirror. It's the Eval-DVD.iso file. On this US mirror, at least, it's right there:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/i386/9.3/iso/

Edit: Oh, you have the 184MB file bug? That's a bug with the download program. Use something else.

I can see it, but whenever I click on it to download, Internet Explorer, Firefox and DAP all three download a 184MB file :( Have you been able to download it from there?

MatiasZ said:
I can see it, but whenever I click on it to download, Internet Explorer, Firefox and DAP all three download a 184MB file :( Have you been able to download it from there?
Well, it's not a problem with the mirror you're using, it's definitely an issue with the download program. If you have another Linux distribution running, you might try downloading it there, but I don't know if you can save a 4.3GB file to a FAT32 partition, so you'd probably have to also burn the ISO in Linux.

I don't know if I can download it properly on my setup or not, to tell you the truth. When I click the link in Firefox it detects the file size as 2GB.

Another download program you might try is Getright. Or you could simply ensure that you have the latest versions of firefox and IE and try those again.

Back