Linux Mplayer Frontend

vrecan

Regular
I am starting a project to create a gtk+ gui frontend for mplayer but cant seem to find any good documentation on how to communcate with it... I am planning on writting it in C# but I am always open for suggestions.

This is my first major project (me and a few friends) but I am not new to programming been a python + PHP programmer for awhile now and just wanted to do something a little more difficult to push myself, already started learning c# and built a couple small gtk+ apps.

Just cant find any documentation on communicating with mplayer and hoped someone here knew a good place or could give me a few tips!

btw just for info I was planning on building this project with mono develop so far I am enjoying using it.

But you do know that mplayer already has a GTK+ frontend (and others, for example there's one for KDE, too)?
If you want to toy around w/ mono, fine; but I'd look for something a little more interesting. :D

yes I know and I cant stand any of them except for gmplayer! All the other front ends are UGLY and suck. I have tried every one of them I could find.

What I want to do is something similar to sasami2k if you have ever used it.

if I cant find any documentation I can just try and figure it out from a few other projects source files but I would really rather find some documentation on it instead...

Personally I love the look + feel + hotkeys of sasami2k and nothing else has ever been able to touch it. So basicly me and a few others want to write a frontend that "feels" the same but uses mplayer. Every other front end just has way to much clutter and crap kinda like WindowMediaPlayer where there is just to much crap everywhere.

Sasami2k on the other end is the complete opposite.

OT: I used Sasami2K in its day, but AFAIK it hasn't been developed for a fairly long time. Right now I use Media Player Classic.

yea thats basicly my biggest problem aswell its just lacking features for some new stuff... the idea is to get the gui working in gtk for linux first because to me its sorely needing a good mediaplayer gui still and then port it to windows but thats why I want to use mono it can make the whole thing a lot easier when I get around to doing that.

Nice idea, Vercan. I'm not sure about documentation, but I might have something for you. If you get started, I'm guessing you're going opensource and going to host the code on sourceforge, throw me a link, please?

Currently, I'm struggling with Gnome 2.6, it's not installing happily on my freebsd box and I'm not keen on re-installing Xorg (read make takes too f'n long).

That is the plan, first we need to get orginized, who is doing what etc... once we get to the point we hit a semi usable release we were going to put it up on sourceforge.

Just forget about 2.6 for now 2.8 comes out at the end of the month anyway ;). If you ask me there were way to many little bugs in 2.6. I still use it quite often but right now I am using xfce 4.06 until the 2.8 comes out.

The slave mode allow you to build simple frontend to MPlayer. When enabled (with the -slave option) MPlayer will read commands separated by new line (\n) from stdin.

That was the only thing I really found through all there documentation about using it as a front end. Personally I was hoping to find a much more elegent way to control mplayer, guess I might have 2 send an email off to them.

Back