Linux for Gamecube

Isn't that whole "lack of a hard drive" thing going to limit the usefulness of that project? ;) Not that it isn't just neat by nature or anything...

RTFA mate ;)

The idea is to use a server for storage of all data over the ethernet link and the GC as a 'front end' to process it

Well, they say this:
On their home page, project leaders suggested a Linux-powered GameCube could eventually be used as a server, a multimedia terminal, or a desktop client computer connected to a server.
And while the last point has to do with your comment, the first two (along with anyone who would want to use it for personal and random uses, as modders do with Xboxen and can be done with the PS2 Linux kit) are rather why I mentioned what I did.

This is cool. With Gamecube's L2 and extremely low-latency main RAM, I guess it could deliver pretty good integer performance (unlike PS2 *ahem*). Also, if they use A-RAM as a buffer/RAM-drive, then the ethernet link needn't be as painful as it might have been otherwise. Too bad GC ethernet is just 10mbps AFAIK. Doesn't matter much when gaming, but when transferring binaries and such it will definitely feel a tad sluggish...

Guden Oden said:
This is cool. With Gamecube's L2 and extremely low-latency main RAM, I guess it could deliver pretty good integer performance (unlike PS2 *ahem*). Also, if they use A-RAM as a buffer/RAM-drive, then the ethernet link needn't be as painful as it might have been otherwise. Too bad GC ethernet is just 10mbps AFAIK. Doesn't matter much when gaming, but when transferring binaries and such it will definitely feel a tad sluggish...

Just hooked mine up to test... router is reporting the link state at 100Mbps...

Oh really? Cool. I read on the net it was just 10mbps, which felt kinda weird since I would think it would be difficult to find ethernet chips that slow these days, but who knows, maybe it's some custom jobbie in there since it'a hardly a PCI slot that module plugs into...

Is it full duplex too? I got the ethernet module myself for my GC, but no router yet to plug it into.

Guden Oden said:
Oh really? Cool. I read on the net it was just 10mbps, which felt kinda weird since I would think it would be difficult to find ethernet chips that slow these days, but who knows, maybe it's some custom jobbie in there since it'a hardly a PCI slot that module plugs into...

Is it full duplex too? I got the ethernet module myself for my GC, but no router yet to plug it into.

According to the status of the router it is 100 full for that connection :)

Oh btw cthellis I agree it's a bit weird without the storage - but hey nevermind eh? Just make sure you don't turn it off and have to use the *tricks* again... after there ain't gonna be an actual linu disc for it ;)

Guden do you have double dash? If so fancy warppipe sometime?

cthellis42 said:
jimbob0i0 said:
Oh btw cthellis I agree it's a bit weird without the storage - but hey nevermind eh?
Hey wait, we're discounting MEMORY CARDS! ;) :LOL:

LOL indeed.... and there is a development effort going on to read/write memory cards over the ethernet connection..... could be onto a winner here ;)

Let's patent *altering of remote storage medium over link layer connection method* and then pull a SCO and own all network transports and get licencing from everyone on a network! ;)

Whatever happened to teh CD card memory adaptor anyway? That was shown at the original showings of teh consol when it was still called Dolphin... that'd have enough space...

jimbob0i0 said:
Whatever happened to teh CD card memory adaptor anyway? That was shown at the original showings of teh consol when it was still called Dolphin... that'd have enough space...

The SD Memory Adapter was only released to the Japanese market (I think) .

With regards to the storage issue, "linux on a CD" is already done and proven. I've seen Knoppix in action, and have heard some good things about MandrakeMove. I think "linux on a ROM" isn't too far fetched.

Biggest problem with anything like "Linux on a CD" is, how do you get Linux onto a GOD?

I doubt very much that a GC reads 8cm CDR/DVDR discs...

No writable local storage isn't a showstopper in the (U|L)inux realm, booting of a network filesystem and having system config, binaries,etc on NFS is done for years ... it's not weird at all.

jimbob0i0 said:
Guden Oden said:

Phantasy Star Online sets the BBA (Broadband Adapter) to 10mbit, but at boot up of the cube itself, it initialises to 100mbit. Unfortunately, the EXI bus the BBA is connected to only supports up to 27mbit.

ChryZ said:
No writable local storage isn't a showstopper in the (U|L)inux realm, booting of a network filesystem and having system config, binaries,etc on NFS is done for years ... it's not weird at all.
It's not a showstopper, but it certainly limits the functionality or appeal to the tech crowd who'd want to put it to their own purposes. That there is no burning of Nintendo's ROM format takes it down yet another notch.

maven said:
Phantasy Star Online sets the BBA (Broadband Adapter) to 10mbit, but at boot up of the cube itself, it initialises to 100mbit.

Interesting! Thanks for the info... Guess that's where the 10Mbit figure comes from then, PSO. Btw, are there any other online-capable games for GC out yet?

Unfortunately, the EXI bus the BBA is connected to only supports up to 27mbit.

27 is a pretty odd figure, one might wonder why they picked 27... Any other specs on that EXI bus, btw? :)

Hey, I did... I have no idea what happened there. It definitely did not look like that when I hit the submit button.

Ok, now you can choose to disbelieve me of course, but that's the way it is anyway.

jimbob0i0 said:
Guden Oden said:

Oh btw cthellis I agree it's a bit weird without the storage - but hey nevermind eh? Just make sure you don't turn it off and have to use the *tricks* again... after there ain't gonna be an actual linu disc for it ;)

Guden do you have double dash? If so fancy warppipe sometime?

I have double dash and warppipe, and I'm up for at least one game. It got a bit old for me though, right now I'm hooked on kirby air ride warppipe.(since you can find hundreds of people for mario kart, but barely anyone for kirby, so I'm not worn out on it yet)

Back