LCD TV's are becoming commoditized (sez me)

Rangers

Legend
http://tech.msn.com/products/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1275896
In our tests many cheaper HDTVs, including bargain sets from little-known brands like Olevia and Vizio, more than held their own against higher-priced models from makers such as Samsung and Sharp.

Ross Young, founder and president of market research and consulting firm DisplaySearch, thinks that the gap in panel quality between what he calls "top-tier" and "emerging" television vendors is narrowing. "Most companies produce A-grade panels, so then [the difference in the resulting products] becomes a function of the electronics that they put in them." For example, Young says, top-tier vendors such as Samsung and Sony "customize with their own algorithms put into the panel's chip." But for the most part, he observes, the quality is very close, and our comprehensive TV tests confirmed this: Lower-cost HDTVs--such as those from Olevia, Vizio, and RCA--collected decent overall scores from our judges, spelling good news for buyers who want satisfactory images from an inexpensive set.

vizio's lineup

Kinda makes one's mouth water, all these pretty TV's. I bought one of these lower end sets and I can confirm they are nice. Probably one of my major regret's in hindsight was going "small" (27"). I was on fatwallet today and noticed a comment from a guy who commented on a 37" TV deal "for those who like the smaller sets" heh. Also, Vizio does some incredibly effective advertising "Everybody wants a TV like that, well now everybody can afford one" goes one of their radio commercials. A little mainstream advertising done well goes a tremendously long way to convincing people it's "ok" to buy these cheaper, less familiar brands sets.
________
GlamorousGirl live

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the largest discrepancy in image quality between cheap and expensive HDTVs will be in contrast ratio.

- cheap LCDs have a low contrast ratio around 300:1
- good LCDs have a average of 500:1 contrast ratio
- the best LCDs will be around +700:1 contrast ratio

Not sure, but probably a combination of three main factors:
- panel tech/quality (50%)
- panel electronic driver (40%)
- image processor (like Bravia Engine, DNIe, PixelPlus and others) (10%)

What is limiting the contrast ratio tech wise?

The fact that the backlight is always on, meaning there is always some light coming through, affecting the black levels - hence affecting the contrast ratio.
So you might get bright displays, but their black levels will be crap.

Backlight adjustment is good, but still not the perfect solution in terms of IQ as it lowers the brightness in the whole screen - which can be good, since most display are blindingly bright out-of-the-box.

The blacks will probably always be a selling point for the more expensive panels, as will things like upscaling quality.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but my guess there is a fourth factor which is the backlight color gamut.
The wider the backlight color gamut the easier to calibrate the HDTV to professional standards (D6500K) and the higher the contrast ratio.

Then my guess list is:
- backlight quality (10%)
- panel tech/quality (50%)
- panel electronic driver (30%)
- image processor (like Bravia Engine, DNIe, PixelPlus and others) (10%)

And future LED backlight will have many advantages:
- 40% less heat
- wide color gamut
- backlight fast switch (as pointed by LB)

Kind of related to the topic:

Asian electronics giants hit by LCD price-fixing investigation

Samsung Electronics Co. and LG.Philips LCD Co., the world's largest makers of liquid-crystal displays, are being probed by regulators in the U.S., South Korea, Japan and Europe for alleged price fixing in the $69 billion industry.

Source

I already thought LCDs were getting dirt cheap, and at the same time they've been colluding to keep prices artificially high as well? My goodness...

Back