Law Talk: George R. R. Martin

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Havent had a chance to listen to the interview, but it seems interesting:
http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2007/12/law_talk_george_1.html
In today's episode of Law Talk, we hear from George R. R. Martin, the prolific author of the "high fantasy" series The Song of Ice and Fire. George has also been a screenwriter and Hollywood producer, an editor, a chess tournament director, a union leader, and a volunteer media director for the Cook County Legal Assistance Foundation. As I've previously written, George is a leader in the movement to bring a degree of realism to fantasy, and he has been dubbed (by Time Magazine) "The American Tolkien."

For god sake, whats wrong with him?!
2 years ago, dance with dragons was "almost complete, as big as Feast for Crows"
And still not finished

I honestly think he only had about 200 pages for Dance after cutting the manuscript, so he's essentially writing the 2nd half of a section of his story that has been a major stumbling block for him. Combine that with serious writer's block and the pressure of knowing the series is immensely popular and I think he's got a lot of mental road bumps in his way. Honestly, I'll be amazed if this series doesn't get Jordan'd. If you've ever met the man, he's out of breath just from walking across a level floor. He's about as wide as he's tall and clearly struggles to breath while talking. He's a walking heart attack waiting to happen.

I never liked his books, but I soldiered through the first 3 after all the rave reviews. Finally gave up though, I just saw so much wasted potential for a good story just like I did in Jordan's books to be honest. Different characters, and setting, but similar problems.

Amazon.com has now dated the "A Dance with Dragons" to be released in April 30th, year 2013. Uh oh. When the Feast for Crows was released, I got the impression that we would get the next book sooner than later. It seems I was quite wrong.

I have long since given up. It'll be a pleasant surprise if he finishes his next book; an amazing act of God if he finishes the series before shuffling off his mortal coil.

LOL Amazon just makes dates up, though I agree with Russ that time is not on his side. Especially if you've met him, you'll know he's as wide as he is tall and becomes out of breath walking across a level floor.

It is always a shame to me when writers cannot finish their work. He ought to try and write in shorter arcs like Hobb, a trilogy of trilogies or something then if they die at least some of the stuff is taken care of.

As I said I gave up on him, but did they ever do anything interesting north of the wall of ice? That was what I was waiting for :)

As I said I gave up on him, but did they ever do anything interesting north of the wall of ice? That was what I was waiting for .

You'll have to wait for the 5th book, "A Dance with Dragons," for that, though not guarantee it'll be interesting. Personally, I think he needs to pluck some low hanging fruit in this new book since the series started in 1996. Bran and the Jojens need to meet Howland Reed, who was there at the Tower of Joy and can explain Lyanna's promise. Daenyris (sp?) needs to set sail for Westeros with those dragons and the Valaryian horn that'll let her control them. The Others need to hit the Wall and drive the Night's Watch back toward Winterfell.

Basically, he needs to actually move the main plot forward instead of another 4th book, which was just a pointless shuffling of plot pieces around. Not sure we'll get that, though, considering he's adding more POVs.

Back