Larrabee in next-gen consoles? Sounds like it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

Newcomer
I've been saying it for a while now, it was too strange that Intel was working on convincing developers to get into Larrabee game development, and that some games are currently being ported to Larrabee (and at least one made for it from the ground up, Project Offset), without Intel knowing for sure if their tech would end up in next-gen consoles.

I mean why were they telling us to make games for Larrabee, and why is higher management agreeing to this (of course Intel must be paying for a good part of the development, but still), if in the end Larrabee didn't find itself in consoles? It made no sense. Meanwhile, as a dev, I've heard NOTHING about games being developed or ported to whatever ATI or Nvidia have in mind for next-gen consoles. Nothing at all.

So to me it was pretty clear that surely, Intel had already struck a deal and their tech was going to find itself in at least one next-gen console. Well look at what brainstew on NeoGaf found:

brain_stew said:
This interesting tidbit slipped under my radar:

CPB. CPB revenue decreased by 72% to $11.9 million in the first quarter of fiscal year 2010, compared to $42.5 million for the first quarter of fiscal year 2009. The overall decrease in CPB revenue is primarily driven by a combination of decreases in revenue from our cell phone products, decreases in revenue from certain contractual development arrangements with Sony Computer Entertainment, or SCE, and a drop in royalties from SCE due to lower seasonal sales of PS3 Playstations.

http://www.gurufocus.com/news.php?id=57112

It seems that SCE are ending development on some proposed work with Nvidia, there's nothing much else it could be than the GPU for PS4. Which means that Sony are shopping elsewhere for their GPU solution, and with Intel desperate for a partner in the console space they may just have found their match.

Bingo.

That all mean that SCE won't go with NV for PS4. (broken scaler and can't emulate PS2, I would drop NV too) But there are other options such as PowerVR, AMD, or even back to Toshiba, who knows Toshiba might be working on a Cell GPU, since they do seem to do some work with Cell unlike Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back