Laa-Yosh talk on head scanning wanting input (questions, not models)

I ran through the questions here and compared them to our notes to see what else I can share. Most of this first part is more on the theoretical side, but I thought it might still be interesting.

Photogrammetry is the most common scanning method nowadays for the following reasons:
- it's very cheap, especially for static subjects (a single camera and the software is enough, and a hobbyist Agisoft license is like $180)
- it's the most flexible and scalable; the number of cameras and their placement is basically the only factor in what size and level of detail you can scan, and you can also freely re-arrange everything at any time
- it works with widely available commodity equipment so you can build everything on your own; DSLR cameras and related elements (cables, flashes etc) are usually enough, but our rig is also using raspberry pi minicomputers, for example
- it's also easily portable, for example our guys regularly make trips to Korda Studio here in Budapest, which is where movies like The Martian where shot
- one minor drawback is that it's not super accurate; but that is only really important for industry utilization, stuff like analyzing structural integrity on the used Falcon rockets at SpaceX and so

Other methods are:
- digitizing armatures were available from early on; it's basically a pen at the end of a robotic arm, where the computer can calculate the 3D coordinates from the pose
- laser scanners have several main variations: static ones have a big turntable that rotates the subject (live or object) and the laser is directed by mirrors and such; these tend to be really big and unmovable
- there are also handheld laser scanners, but they work really badly with subjects that can move (and even the simple act of breathing will ruin live subjects)
- there are also various kinds of LIDAR, which basically substitutes the radio waves in radar with a laser; there are ones that look like a camera on a stand and there are ones that you can put on a helicopter to scan entire cities
- structured light scanners project various patterns (usually bands with varying width) and then capture photographs of the subject to analyze; the upside here is that even a single 'camera' can capture a lot of 3D detail
But these systems are usually less flexible, less portable (except the helicopter fitted LIDAR :) and much more expensive
- and of course the Lightstage systems, which are mostly a combination of photogrammetry, structured light, and computer controlled lighting

The theory behind stereo photogrammetry isn't really new; it's basically about using at least two cameras to capture imagery, then running optical flow software to identify tracking points on both of the images and triangulating their position to generate a point cloud. Today's software is a breakthrough mostly because it can process hundreds of images and it can work with data from common DSLR cameras (or even mobile phone captured images).

But scanning isn't an actual production tool - all it can do (but really really well) is to provide source data for the rest of the asset building pipeline. The raw data has to be translated into usable geometry and various textures like color, normal and displacement data. It is possible to write software to automate a lot (or even practically all) of the processing, and the various content creation apps available also have a lot of tools for that (like automatic mesh building).

It's also worth noting that many things are impossible (or at least very hard) to scan with photogrammetry:
- shiny or transparent objects, or objects without any kind of surface patterns (although if you spray something on them, it can still work)
- anything that does not exist in real life (fantasy creatures for example)

Also, the fact that photogrammetry rigs are super flexible means that there are no clear blueprints to build them, you have to experiment a lot. Our team for example decided to contact FilmFX, a local practical effects studio. They're pretty amazing guys with credits on stuff like Hellboy 2 sets or Matt Damon prosthetics and the Pathfinder in The Martian. We've got some super realistic human head props, because we knew they'd stay completely still and so the guys can experiment with the camera placement with a single DSLR, before buying all the equipment. The funny story was that we've gotten a severed head prop from the BBC Robin hood show, and of course the poor cleaning lady found it in a cupboard one night, nearly getting a heart attack ;)
It's also like an early Christmas for the team to unpack the equipment, like getting dozens of cameras at once :D And it took a LOT of hard work to build the rig, lots of people spent a lot of time soldering and rigging cables and such.
And you also have to build the studio itself - a large enough room that can fit the subject and the camera rig, with lighting as even as possible, using white painted walls and floors, and camera synced flash lights.

I forgot to mention in the previous post - with the dentist chair stuff - that it's also quite complicated to scan live animals. There are obviously cases where you can get a stuffed one, but for stuff like cats and dogs, or rare birds, or (although we haven't tried it yet) for things like horses, it can get really interesting and funny.

Another thing worth mentioning is that processing the source data requires a LOT of computing power. Most single scans take hours to generate the point cloud mesh, so dozens of FACS scans can take days to go through. Fortunately it can be automated to a high level, but it's still time consuming. And even with a LOT of cameras, it's still not good enough without some manual work, and you're gonna need relatively good artists for that.

So that first part sort of covered the first part of our talk, presented by the lead of the Scan Department, Rafael Zuban. Then I took over, focusing more on how scanning is used in general and more specifically at Digic.

Scanning has actually been around for quite a while and I've listed the following examples:
- '70s: Ed Catmull's team created CGI animation of his hand making poses. The model was built on top of a scan captured with an armature rig.
- '80s: in Star Trek IV, when the crew go back in time, they experience strange visions; these included laser scans of the heads of the actors morphing into each other
- '90s: almost all the main characters in Pixar animated features have started as clay maquettes which were easier to review and approve; they were then scanned with digitizing armatures. Also, movie VFX has started to use scans pretty early on, one of the earliest examples I could list was a CG Stallone in Judge Dredd
- '2000s: scanning was really popularized by Weta's work on the LOTR movies, where they've built a lot of the creatures as clay maquettes, which they've scanned using a portable laser scanner originally developed to study cadavers in slaughter houses

Scanning is good because:
- it gets you truly lifelike data
- it's a good source for modeling, texturing
- it also helps in rigging: skeleton placement, deformation reference

It's no good though:
- doesn't generate assets ready to use
- doesn't decrease workload significantly (although automation offers great opportunities already)
- doesn't replace talented and experienced artists
- doesn't replace art direction
- doesn't answer all your questions
- you can't scan everything

Casting for scanning is a really interesting and complex process. It's actually quite complicated and has a lot of possible caveats. When the client handles this, you need to arrange travel and accommodation and such; when you're free to get any talent, it involves local modeling agencies who tend to offer who they have instead of what you need.

Our first attempts were the following.

We've scanned a local model for AC4 Edward (attendant of a swimming pool) who was actually kinda short but the right body type. We took a life cast and used a portable laser scanner. Unfortunately the cast wasn't good enough and the scanner got confused by the shiny and even surface of the cast, so we had to do a lot of work in Zbrush to polish the results.

Then we decided to try photogrammetry for ME3 and contracted an english scan facility; we've selected a model from an english agency and did the whole thing remotely. Unfortunately the client reworked the movie in the mean time and so the little girl had like 3 quick shots in the final movie... But we've learned a lot through the process, and at least we can still use the data as reference from time to time.

Then on Halo 4 we've received a lot of data from 343 for Lasky and Palmer: raw scans, game models and their blendshapes. We've also learned from their FMX presentation that they did all of this stuff with only 6 cameras - this was a major push for us to decide to build our own rig.

The real test was of course COD:AW, where the client has supplied us with really high quality face and expression scans. It was a really hard project both overall and for my modeling team, but we've managed to develop a pretty good workflow and I think our results were also quite good.
I'll take a little risk and also mention that we signed the contract before we knew about the celebrity talent. I've actualyl found out about the involvement of Kevin Spacey when I reviewed a document about the main characters' bios - I obviously almost fell out of my chair ;)
I've mostly based our approach on using really high-res head models that could accommodate all the deformations without animated normal or displacement maps, based on what I've learned about Weta's work on Avatar. I believe it worked out reasonably well; our next project was to create cinematics for AW's Zombies DLC with 4+1 main characters all based on celebrity talent like Malkovich or Bruce Campbell. We've had about 5 weeks for the first one, so everything had to work on the fist pass - and our amazing modelers have managed to get every one of them pretty well.

COD:AW was also the first live test for our own scanning rig, as we had to build some character assets on our own. The male and female arms and hands for all the cinematics characters were scanned at Digic; actually the male arm is mine, but it had to get a nice dose of steroids in post to become heroic enough ;) I also think it's a great testament to our scan team's skill that all our assets have worked seamlessly with the material we've received.

After COD, we've used our scan facility for lots of projects - but I'd get back to this tomorrow or so :)

Couple of small notes before I collapse into my bed :)

Teeth are really hard to capture with any method, because they're both shiny and transclucent, confusning both phorogrammetry and lasers. The best method is to take dental prints and scan the clay results, then match their position in the regular scans.

Our pipeline TD (basically, our God) attended FMX this year and learned some stuff from the presentations:
- FACS is not a perfect system on its own, but 1. noone has managed to come up with anything better 2. it's still the best approach to transfer animation from an actor to an imaginery CG character (and I'd say, also for a 1:1 likeness)
- a guy at Pixar talked about his previous work where they've tried to build a facial rig based on facial muscles; but they've found that in real life, people don't have the same muscle structure! some muscles get fused, some are missing and so on
- eyes are a LOT more complex than we'd believe, but Disney's research team in Switzerland has managed to scan eyes, and provide super interesting data which was used by MPC in CG Arnold and ILM in SWVIII; they are also working on a realistic procedural eye model that they'll present at Siggraph this year

You see, we've had this event for the past weekend called Ultrabalaton - the lake Balaton in Hungary is one of the largest in Europe, and there's this running race for the past 10 years, either for single competitors or teams of up to 10-12 people; the distance is 220kms. Digic has been attending with a team for the past years, so I've been a driver (getting runners to their start points and other support work), a runner (28 kms, the year before) and a bicycle supporter (last year), and now a driver again. You basically have to stay up for 20+ hours, there's a team of 10-12 runners, 2-4 drivers, 2-4 bikers etc. and the entire race takes 22+ hours (at least for regular people - the best single runner's time is like 18.5 hours HOLYFUCK). It's just super amazing and fun and all, a real test of endurance, brings people together, and also gets you sleep deprived ;)

RgXHSfM.jpg

I'm the one with the silly smile on the far right :D

Back