L.A. Noire from Rockstar

new Game Informer has a hands on at the studio where they are showing off their new facial motion capture technology... they claim it is ground breaking and more realistic than any game. "Uncanny valley is a thing of past".

the cut scenes are actually investigations (you play a crime solving detective) and they are saying that the motion capture process that they are using here is so ground breaking that you can actually tell (and need to) if people are lying or genuine. They say the "lip syncing" and 3d facial animation is a leap forward.

it's not lip syncing an animation though. It's 30 cameras that capture video and it gets rendered into a 3d character. The audio is recorded simultaneously with the video so there is no need to try to sync lips with voice. If you've seen the G. I. Pics then you know that no animator could make faces like these.

there will be a big article online one day soon as well http://gameinformer.com/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to see close ups !

On cursory look, Heavy Rain actually looks more interesting despite its everyday/routine scenes.

Ah, I think it could work in LA Noire's context. For other action-oriented games (e.g. U2 has platforming and a lot of weapon animations -- like dropping/lobing grenade in different postures and angles) to use the similar tech, they may need to do a lot more work.

yea, we'll see where they take this as the gameplay is also described as GTA IV-ish in the article so there is plenty of action mixed in with the investigating.

Would be cool if they experiment with motion sensing control schemes, especially if the gameplay has a lot of control and story options. It'd be a shame if it's just limited shooting, run/walk and death animations.

Is this really an open world game like GTA ?

It's the general problem of coverage of Rockstar games. They're very very good at self-promotion. I mean, they've got people pumped for Read Dead Redemption, meanwhile the Rockstar Wives story has insiders saying it's a huge mess.

Yeah, but that game does look very good and has the western mood nailed down almost perfectly, hence people's interest in it. IMHO.

Yeah, but that game does look very good and has the western mood nailed down almost perfectly, hence people's interest in it. IMHO.

Oh, sure. I was really surprised when people on Gamasutra started talking about what a wreck the project was, I in fact guessed a completely wrong project in the QoL thread. But all I know about is by handfuls of media released by R* and journalist impressions.

Oh, sure. I was really surprised when people on Gamasutra started talking about what a wreck the project was, I in fact guessed a completely wrong project in the QoL thread. But all I know about is by handfuls of media released by R* and journalist impressions.

Well since it started in 2003 as a launch title for PS3 I think Gamasutra have a point. Also the amount of money that has been pumped into this project is incredible, especially considering it is a new IP...

Back