Killer Shark Action Video Inside!

Aye, I've seen that one :) Octopi are so cool.

For one, notice all those protrusions on its skin? Many species of octopi can actually dynamically change the texture of their skin, so those protrusions were, I believe, simply part of this octopus' camouflage due to its immediate surroundings.

Sharks are without a doubt the finest killing machines the world has ever seen, aside from man himself. Personally, I love sharks, but am terrified to death of them. One could roll up with a pink jumpsuit and a comical gay lisp telling Chris Rock jokes and I would still promptly soil myself. Name me a better, more proficient killer than a shark (prepares for one of you to shoot me down instantaneously.) Nothing is more interesting than "flying sharks" in which sharks, when hunting seals, will lurk beneath them then come charging up at about 50 mph and actually breaches the surface of the water, soaring a good 15 feet in the air, stunned prey in mouth.

Hehe, you watched the video, right? That octopus made really short work of that shark. Just goes to show that raw power isn't all there is to being able to kill well.

Chalnoth said:
Hehe, you watched the video, right? That octopus made really short work of that shark. Just goes to show that raw power isn't all there is to being able to kill well.

Oh, undoubtedly. Octopi are magnificent creatures particularly the blue ringed octopus, native of Australia, who's poison is amongst the dealiest, most potent the Earth has ever witnessed. Yet I, along with almost the rest of the free world, view sharks as emotionless, killing machines. But rest assured, there is a bevy of shark species that are docile, in fact you have a better chance to get struck by lightening than be attacked by a shark. But it still doesn't make me sleep soundly.

Just look how Quint from "Jaws" turned out!

Chalnoth said:
Aye, I've seen that one :) Octopi are so cool.

For one, notice all those protrusions on its skin? Many species of octopi can actually dynamically change the texture of their skin, so those protrusions were, I believe, simply part of this octopus' camouflage due to its immediate surroundings.
There's quite a famous bit of film of an octopus changing colour and textures.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:

If that wasn't my rogue from WoW, I don't know what was.

*stealth*
*sprint*
*blind*
*vanish*

That's a really, really great video. I've seen it countless times and, even though I know the octopus is there, I keep my dumb eyes fixated on some rock in the distance swearing that's it. What's more interesting is the military is developing an "optic camouflage" suit that works much like that. From my recollection, the suit was composed of a plethora of mirrors that would capture your surroundings and blend you completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Yeah, I've seen that one. Absolutely amazing. Trying to find a good one of the blue ringed octopus that shows off how it can make its rings flash bright neon blue when threatened, but no luck so far (I saw it on TV once some time ago).

I'd love to see the rasterization and frame buffer arrangement on that one.
I mean, how active are they in producing the camouflage image, and how detailed control do they have.
Have anyone here seen any tests with putting octopi, cameleons, or any other color changing creatures in artificial environments to see how good they are to adapt?
Like checkerboards or other test patterns.

I used to dive a lot in the Pacific Northwest and I can vouch that seeing a Giant Pacific Octipus is one of the coolest things you can see down there. Their dens are pretty eerie as there are crab shells everywhere. I remember diving once without contacts and my partner pointing out the octipus and I could not see it for the life of me until it swam away. Realizing it was just a couple feet away and I never saw it was pretty cool. Man I miss diving!

Acert93 said:
I used to dive a lot in the Pacific Northwest and I can vouch that seeing a Giant Pacific Octipus is one of the coolest things you can see down there. Their dens are pretty eerie as there are crab shells everywhere. I remember diving once without contacts and my partner pointing out the octipus and I could not see it for the life of me until it swam away. Realizing it was just a couple feet away and I never saw it was pretty cool. Man I miss diving!
how do you protect yourself from them?

epicstruggle said:
Heh, well, fortunately there are no animals that see humans as a viable food source from birth: they have to learn that we can be easy to catch, kill, and eat.

epicstruggle said:

Well, you don't stick your hands toward their beak ;) But most sea life either ignores humans or, more frequently, avoids us. When they take an interest--that is when you worry! e.g. At the underwater state park in Washington there is a huge lingcod which I would guess was 3 or 4 feet long. This fish was so familiar with divers that it would swim around you, settle in on rocks in front of your path and just watch. My first time diving there I had not been told that there are a couple "residents" and when I saw this huge blur in the distance (a lot of plankton in the Puget Sound) that continued to circle us I was a little concerned. When it eventually settled down in front of us and it was a huge fish watching us I was more than a little surprised! It was cool getting to check it out as most other stuff swims away, but you do realize how vulnerable you are. Divers are slow, heavy targets that are pretty much like fish out of water ;)

Ps- There are exceptions though. Seals seem to be very interested in humans and have had them swim out with us before we descended. Kind of neat seeing how playful they are, although I definately would not suggest putting your hand near their mouth!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalnoth said:
Heh, well, fortunately there are no animals that see humans as a viable food source from birth: they have to learn that we can be easy to catch, kill, and eat.

Aren't they curious :?: And does this point to some sort of instinctual nature (pre-learned)?

I was surprised that the octopus could mimic the....structure of the plant there besides the colour; it seemed to mold itself.

epicstruggle said:

Usually you don't have to, they'll either avoid you altogther, or they'll feel you up a little bit and then go on their way. Octopi from everything I've ever heard are incredibly intelligent yet quite docile when it comes to humans.

Humboldt squid on the other hand I'd probably go out of the way to avoid.

Back