Kena: Bridge of Spirits [PS4, PS5, PC, XBSX|S]

Very cute game. My only complaint so far are the 30fps CGI cutscenes. Those are so distracting compared to the rock solid 60fps gameplay. I'd say Horizon running on PS5 is technically way more impressive, it's not even a contest, but the artstyle of Kena is excellent and the game full of charm.

The CGI cutscene are 24 fps no 30 fps.

Is talk about the PC version ok here ?

https://imgsli.com/NzI5MjQ
https://imgsli.com/NzI5MjU

Shadows on ultra have a gigantic impact on performance. Followed by volumetric fog. And shadows on ultra seem to have those constant spikes in the frametime line, you're just sitting still doing nothing and the spikes just come up. Interestingly, high shadows have that ray traced look where they're softer the further you go from the source, while ultra shadows are very sharp.

I assume with ultra not only is the resolution of the shadows higher (or more cascades shadowmaps or both), but the distance that the shadows are drawn is further as well,

Ok that would explain why they felt really horrible compared to 60fps. What a stupid idea. 24fps works on cinema only because it's only 24hz. But it's terrible on a 60hz screen.
Well, any relatively new 60Hz screen would be able to resolve a 24p signal perfectly (like with movies). I think the issue here is that we get 60 then 24 then 60 again in quick succession, which makes my brain fart, and also I assume most of us play in 'Game mode' on our TVs, which makes them totally stupid when they start getting a 24p signal, as usually they're in some sort of 'Cinema mode' when that happens, with all the processing that goes with it to make it look better.

I suppose it could always have been worse -- could have dropped from 120 Hz to 24 Hz.

Cinematics at 24 fps is likely due to the studio's background?

Well, any relatively new 60Hz screen would be able to resolve a 24p signal perfectly (like with movies). I think the issue here is that we get 60 then 24 then 60 again in quick succession, which makes my brain fart, and also I assume most of us play in 'Game mode' on our TVs, which makes them totally stupid when they start getting a 24p signal, as usually they're in some sort of 'Cinema mode' when that happens, with all the processing that goes with it to make it look better.

TVs rarely get a 24 fps signal, the only time is when you have a Blu-ray player or an Apple TV. I have not tested Kena, but I doubt they change the output signal from the standard 60 fps during the cut scenes.

New TVs should have a 120Hz refresh rate, and black frame insertion. ;)
24Hz is 1/5 of 120Hz, so BFI should work flawlessly in that particular case.

Not that I know if Kena's cinematics are actually 24Hz.

TVs rarely get a 24 fps signal, the only time is when you have a Blu-ray player or an Apple TV. I have not tested Kena, but I doubt they change the output signal from the standard 60 fps during the cut scenes.
A lot of software natively supports 24p, VLC, Kodi and other media software. I only rip Blu-ray discs at the native rate and I've not any problems playing these back - having the TV switch to 24hz mode - for more than a decade. Ideally you should not even be aware of the switch in TV mode.

A lot of software natively supports 24p, VLC, Kodi and other media software. I only rip Blu-ray discs at the native rate and I've not any problems playing these back - having the TV switch to 24hz mode - for more than a decade. Ideally you should not even be aware of the switch in TV mode.

What devices do you use?

I'm into the second part of this now. The first part was excellent but I'm not enjoying the new time based platforming sections, mainly because Kena seems very bad at platforming. I seem to spend most of my time just hitting an invisible wall on the platform and sliding off which makes it all very frustrating. Which is a shame because outside of the poor platforming design the game is mostly excellent, the combat is unforgiving, especially the pixel perfect timing required for parrying etc, but rewarding. The visuals and story are spot on and it has a beautiful soundscape. Overall it's a gorgeous game with a slightly broken core feature which, for me anyway, ruins the experience.

So you are saying that you get a 24p signal out from a Mac Mini using OSX?
I don't believe the Finder UI in macOS supports 24hz, but if you're running Kodi full screen on a panel that supports 24hz, yes.

What I really like is the exploration with almost no clues to what to do. The secrets items? Well they are at secret locations. The mini-puzzle? Well they are a puzzle, it's up to you to resolve them. Sometimes the world feels bigger than open-world games (like Horizon or Far Cry) because the level design is really good. Bosses can be quite hard and rewarding.

It's like a Zelda / Jak & Daxter using modern game design from Dark souls. If they had called the game Zelda the score would have being 10 points higher.

Finished this week, cute but it was very much a PS4 game at 60fps.
What about the short loadings? What were many of use complaining on PS4? I do remember: only 30fps and awful loading times.

Either way all current multiplat games are PS4 games up-resed with double framerate on PS5 because PS4 games were graphically already great, diminushing returns are there. Add that RT in some others games and this is what next-gen is about (instant loading times, 60-120fps and RT).

What did PS4 really bring compared to PS360? Higher resolutions and nicer graphics which is lame compared to what we got now.

Back