Kena: Bridge of Spirits [PS4, PS5, PC, XBSX|S]

New Sony seems to have dropped the ball on the marketing on this one, Sony was all deathloop the last couple of weeks. MS I feel would of done a better job.
Probably because Deathloop's exclusivity was way more expensive than Kena's. But you're right that they should have put more weight behind Kena. This game seems to be considerably more appealing to a console audience than an action FPS like Deathloop.
At least I am probably going to pick up Deathloop on PC but this one is coming to the PS5 as soon as they release the physical version.

:LOL:The guy was complaining about performance not being the best, yet hes playing it on a PC that doesnt even meet the minimum spec requirements
On "PCGamer" no less. Ryzen 3550H means it's a cheap laptop over 2 years old too, probably something like this. One would assume they'd have higher standards for game reviews. Perhaps they thought of Kena as some random unimportant indie game whose review could be relegated to a random external contributor who plays their games on an old $600 laptop.

I read this review and found it to be really pretentious. They claim the game to perform really well on what it proposes to do, but the reviewer keeps pounding on it because it's not reinventing the wheel or ending hunger and war in real life. At the end they even go into some vague accusations of cultural appropriation, as if the previous accusations of similar nature on Ghost of Tsushima hadn't fallen flat onto reviewers' faces.

I have no idea who the author of that review is, but they read like the caricature of an internet millennial. This sentence says it all:

This is a beautiful-looking game, no doubt - after all, Kena was made by the animation studio behind the superb Majora's Mask fan short film. But, as beautiful as it is, here too I fear Ember Lab simply took a little of what everyone likes and put it in their game.
How dare they put elements that people like into a videogame that they want people to like!

Sony seems to have dropped the ball on the marketing on this one, Sony was all deathloop the last couple of weeks. MS I feel would of done a better job.

Speaking of reviews for the game, Heres the lowest rated review so far

https://www.pcgamer.com/kena-bridge-of-spirits-review/

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/kena-bridge-of-spirits

:LOL:The guy was complaining about performance not being the best, yet hes playing it on a PC that doesnt even meet the minimum spec requirements

who only has 8 gigs of system ram in 2021 and expects to game on it ?

So glad windows 11 is going to start rendering older machines obsolete and hopefully with ddr 5 we only see 16gig and up systems

Why does the PS5 fidelity mode look so washed out? I thought it was perhaps HDR tone mapping but wouldn't all of the PS5 footage suffer from that?

Also, PS4 has some artifacts in alpha effects. Not sure if they are running alpha at a lower resolution or it's a checkerboarding artifact, but other versions don't seam to have those issues.

It's also strange that the RAM requirements are that high, considering the game runs on PS4. The CPU and GPU requirements are very low.

It's also strange that the RAM requirements are that high, considering the game runs on PS4. The CPU and GPU requirements are very low.

They are an indie developer with most of their experience being in content creation. So, the team is likely of small to modest size. I believe this is their first in house game.

As befitting of a content creation studio, they have many and varied assets in the game and it does look really good.

Due to this, I'd be really surprised if they were using any kind of streaming asset system which would certainly help with managing the memory pool but is also a lot more complex to implement well than a pre-load asset system. Alternatively they could be using a conservative asset streaming system where only things outside of a very large radius are flushed/loaded into memory to avoid complications WRT asset pop-in, etc.

So, I'm expecting that they are pre-loading in all or most of the assets for a given level, thus they'll use as much memory as they possibly can on consoles. On PC it gets more complex as players can opt for quality settings that exceed the VRAM available for their GPU.

Regards,
SB

They are an indie developer with most of their experience being in content creation. So, the team is likely of small to modest size. I believe this is their first in house game.

As befitting of a content creation studio, they have many and varied assets in the game and it does look really good.

Due to this, I'd be really surprised if they were using any kind of streaming asset system which would certainly help with managing the memory pool but is also a lot more complex to implement well than a pre-load asset system. Alternatively they could be using a conservative asset streaming system where only things outside of a very large radius are flushed/loaded into memory to avoid complications WRT asset pop-in, etc.

So, I'm expecting that they are pre-loading in all or most of the assets for a given level, thus they'll use as much memory as they possibly can on consoles. On PC it gets more complex as players can opt for quality settings that exceed the VRAM available for their GPU.

Regards,
SB
Yes, of course. But the VRAM requirement is only 2GB and the system RAM requirement is twice what PS4 games have access to. That's pretty strange. Time will tell if I'm motivated enough to try it on multiple computers I have, but I think even the weakest system I have has 16GB of ram. Actually, I have an old laptop with 8GB, but I don't think the GPU would be fast enough to handle the game either.

They also have controversy behind their business and work practices, so they may not even have the people who did the heavy lifting still working for them, just read the ResetEra threads for the details @
Post in thread '[VGC] The former lead designer of Kena: Bridge of Spirits claims he was ‘maliciously forced out’' https://www.resetera.com/threads/vg...‘maliciously-forced-out’.299336/post-73748821

There's more O.S. memory overhead on windows than on console.

They also have controversy behind their business and work practices, so they may not even have the people who did the heavy lifting still working for them, just read the ResetEra threads for the details @
Post in thread '[VGC] The former lead designer of Kena: Bridge of Spirits claims he was ‘maliciously forced out’' https://www.resetera.com/threads/vgc-the-former-lead-designer-of-kena-bridge-of-spirits-claims-he-was-‘maliciously-forced-out’.299336/post-73748821

And in typical resetera fashion, the two guys claiming it's fishy that these complaints are surfacing every time the game gets some sort of attention were promptly banned.
What a terrible forum.

Reactions: snc
Yes, in typical societal fashion, the drama between participants and name calling and colorful language overshadows the issues at hand. It's not particular to that forum or other forums, but all social media. In other words, things escalated quickly.

Sony seems to have dropped the ball on the marketing on this one, Sony was all deathloop the last couple of weeks. MS I feel would of done a better job.
Sony included an extended video of Kena at one of their earlier showcases. For what is, admittedly a very polished, indie game. That's pretty good. Kena was subject to two (or three?) release delays and Ember Labs lost their marketing focus spot because a much bigger game got the limelight.

It sucks, but that's life. I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend. Fifteen hours is pretty much a perfect length for weekend gaming session so it works for me.

thats amazing that this quality game was done by 15 people studio o_O how sony found them ? they are good with recognizing talented people

Very cute game. My only complaint so far are the 30fps CGI cutscenes. Those are so distracting compared to the rock solid 60fps gameplay. I'd say Horizon running on PS5 is technically way more impressive, it's not even a contest, but the artstyle of Kena is excellent and the game full of charm.

This is true, but is it 12GB true? Still seams like a lot.
To me it seems a strange amount, I thought, Who has 12GB I thought 99.9% of the time its 4GB->8GB->16GB i.e. a power of two
but I looked up on steam and actually ~2% of ppl have 12GB, a lot more than I thought. But still I would be pissed off if I made the games minimum spec requirements X and the reviewer, actually reviewed the game on a less powerful machine. Seems extremely incompetent, perhaps its sabotage for their 'who knows?' dodgy business practices as alluded to in the thread of Brit above, nevertheless that review should be discounted completely

Back