Kaz Hirai (SCEA) Interview - 1up/EGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qroach said:
Convincing somone to join xbox live is not the same as convincing someone to buy a HDTV that supports 1080p

If there wasn't going to be suitable content, then would 1080p exist at all? This will be an option in the PS3.

Sony does not need to convince people to buy 1080p HDTVs, as much as Microsoft needs to convince people to take up their live service.

Johnny Awesome said:
Edge, stop trolling with your nonsense about content is king.

Broadband is huge. HDTV isn't. That's why Live is more important (by FAR) than 1080p support. The only reason MS pushes HD is because a lot of early adopters care more about HDTV than the average consumer. It will help with the X360 launch to the hardcore.

So HDTV isn't huge, but you are going to buy one aren't you?

No doubt online services are important, but supporting it and 1080p simultaneously, how is that a bad thing?

PC-Engine said:
FFTSW level visuals at 853 x 480p is what I want. 1080p for games is overrated IMO.

Although if we were talking about PCs, I would choose 1024x768 over 640x480, for example.

I'm not quite sure why so many people negative about 1080p Sony is just providing users with an option nothing more nothing less. Call me strange but I like having more options in the console realm. Besides you don't have to buy a 1080p HDTV or a PS3 you have that option.

Sovere said:
I'm not quite sure why so many people negative about 1080p Sony is just providing users with an option nothing more nothing less. Call me strange but I like having more options in the console realm. Besides you don't have to buy a 1080p HDTV or a PS3 you have that option.

Well certainly it is not a bad thing to have options.

I think what you're hearing is some see it as just a number on a Power Point presentation comparing themselves (superior) to X360 when in reality a strong possibility exists that most games will not even support the feature.

IOW PR, compared to 720P standard being more reasonable attainable and useful to more people.

Its like tnl in the geforce . Sure it was nice. But we didn't see games that used it till the end of the geofrce 2 era

therealskywolf said:
Oh and KH sucks at interviews, he is like totally not interested in it like - "Yeah great...see we are trying to, oh it does that? Cool..." Wtf, wheres the excitement?
I'd see it's a fault fo the iterviewer to pick a dull interviewee! KH doesn't need to be all excited to do his job, and as long as he does his job well (not his interviews) then fine.

But it was a bad interview!

jvd said:
Its like tnl in the geforce . Sure it was nice. But we didn't see games that used it till the end of the geofrce 2 era

Consoles are a closed systems and the pc isn't so you have to account for more factors so the comparison is pretty off but I can see what you're saying. If Sony can get some devs to produce some games using the resolution props to them if they don't oh well. (I don't care who speaks more marekintg BS or who "wins" the next console race I just want good games ya know?)

Fafalada said:
Given all the hubbub of the PS3 as media center I would be surprised if it doesn't have media playback capability from external devices other then its harddrive.
Three different memory card slots ;)

Regards Live! vs. PS2 online service and takeups etc. What percentage of GENRES are payed on Live!? Seeing as 2 3rds of XB owners are in North America, if they all enjoy the same genres (FPS and racers) which XB has plenty of, then there reason to play online especially with friends. If the PS2 has a lack of quality FPSes, those won't see online use.

I think a breakdown of what games are played online or not, and what games are availble on the systems,and which areas play online the most and which genres (what percentage of EU Live! subscribers play Halo2 online vs. US Live! subscribers?) will give an idea on what appeals to who and where the markets are.

At the moment the only online stats are 2 million XB owners at 10%, some...I dunno, 3 million PS2 owners at 3.5%...and no idea what they're playing. Without more details I think noone can fairly argue it's only the online service of the console that results in online gaming or not.

What i'm saying Sovere is like the tnl in the geforce if its only used in a few games during the life of it , its not an advantage . Its just a partialy fufilled promise .

Its akin to you saying you can piss 10 feet into the wind and me saying oh yea , i can piss 20 feet into the wind .

Thats personaly how most of sony's presentation came off at e3 . Oh yea you got a 100gflop chip , we have a 200glfop chip. You have a over 1 tflop system ? We have 2tflop system , you have 3 usb ports we have 6 , you can have 4 wireless controllers we have 8 .

Its just marketing points and I really don't see devs using the extra power required for this when they can do more work per pixel at 720p which is what 99% of the small hd installed base and most likely the majority of hd-dvds for the rest of the decade will use .

It just doesn't strike me as something that is going to happen. Its just something that was left over from the pc chip used for the rsx and they decided to use it as a marketing number like the dual hdmi .

jvd said:
What i'm saying Sovere is like the tnl in the geforce if its only used in a few games during the life of it , its not an advantage . Its just a partialy fufilled promise .

Yes you keep mentioning the geforce and t&l and I will still say that consoles are closed it's one hardware configuartion. As I said before you have a valid point about t&L and I see where you are coming from BUT at the same time it's not the same scenario. Call me stupid here JVD but anything that the competition doesn't have is an advantage. Partailly fulfilled promise the glass is always half empty with you isn't it.

Its akin to you saying you can piss 10 feet into the wind and me saying oh yea , i can piss 20 feet into the wind .
Welcome to the world of marketing. Population:Companies who don't care about you and are out to get your money.

Thats personaly how most of sony's presentation came off at e3 . Oh yea you got a 100gflop chip , we have a 200glfop chip. You have a over 1 tflop system ? We have 2tflop system , you have 3 usb ports we have 6 , you can have 4 wireless controllers we have 8.
But guess what hardware doesn't matter just like it didn't this generationit's always been about the games not the graphical clout.

Its just marketing points and I really don't see devs using the extra power required for this when they can do more work per pixel at 720p which is what 99% of the small hd installed base and most likely the majority of hd-dvds for the rest of the decade will use .
Of course JVD have you taken Marketing 101 anything the competition doesn't have you shove it in their faces constantly. MS doesn't have 1080P Sony does.... so you makret the hell out of it it. You know Like MS does with the unified architecture and the edram and so on and so forth. You speak of hd-dvd like it's won the format wars haven't begun yet.

It just doesn't strike me as something that is going to happen. Its just something that was left over from the pc chip used for the rsx and they decided to use it as a marketing number like the dual hdmi .

I don't recall myself saying it was going to happen. You're getting a little worked up over Sony marketing stuff that MS obviously doesn't have if it was Sony launching and micrsoft doing the marketing would you honestly even be complaining?

Bigger being better is a fallacy... ;)

Oh btw is the 6 USB ports on PS3 for adult accessories used on adult games or something? Where is the advantage in having that many USB ports? :LOL:

Yes you keep mentioning the geforce and t&l and I will still say that consoles are closed it's one hardware configuartion. As I said before you have a valid point about t&L and I see where you are coming from BUT at the same time it's not the same scenario. Call me stupid here JVD but anything that the competition doesn't have is an advantage. Partailly fulfilled promise the glass is always half empty with you isn't it.
I was using it as an example . Should I bring up 3Dc on the x800s or sm3.0 on the nv40s or hdr on them ?

Answer me why a dev would program for 1080p when the huge majority of people have sd tvs and a small number of users have 720p tvs ? What is the motivation ? You can do more work per pixel and make a much better looking game at 720p that will look great at that res and 480p/i vs 1080p that will take up more ram space and bandwidth and would take away work u can do on those pixels .

Welcome to the world of marketing. Population:Companies who don't care about you and are out to get your money.
Doesn't mean I like it and have to drone on about it . To me its like running for an office. Its dirty and its not the way it should be .

But guess what hardware doesn't matter just like it didn't this generationit's always been about the games not the graphical clout.
na its about hype dude. The ps2 did not have better games than the dreamcast yet it won becuase it created hype about how great the games were going to be and they were good when they started to arrive but it still took a good 2 or 3 years more good games than the dc .

You speak of hd-dvd like it's won the format wars haven't begun yet.
Do I ? have you followed posts here for long ? I've allways been of the mind set that both hd-dvd and bluray will fail becaue they will be too busy fighting each other and a new format better than both will come around and take the market . As for hd-dvd the only reason i'm even entertaining the idea of mabye buying a more expensive xbox 360 if one was offered at launch , is because of evil dead . That one movie can make me spend the extra money .

I don't recall myself saying it was going to happen. You're getting a little worked up over Sony marketing stuff that MS obviously doesn't have if it was Sony launching and micrsoft doing the marketing would you honestly even be complaining?
Worked up ? No its being talked about in a forum and I let my feelings about it out , That is all. I'm not worked up about sony's marketing . I don't care for it , most of the time i don't care for ms's either .It be nice if they ran a campain like sega did for the dreamcast

Sovere said:
People haven't been saying that--options are ALWAYS good. We've just been stressing that downplaying factors like online features or mass storage while speaking enthusiastically and in terms of "future-proofing" for the difference between 1080p and 1080i shows a distinct mislabelling of priorities this generation.

PC-Engine said:
Oh btw is the 6 USB ports on PS3 for adult accessories used on adult games or something? Where is the advantage in having that many USB ports? :LOL:
Controllers, keyboard, mouse, EyeToy, driving wheel, flight stick, an easy-to-keep-free one to hook up whatever you feel like hooking up...? I could fill up it up just with gaming peripherals if I wanted to, and that's not touching the actual "computer uses" and "media center" uses they want to push. Two would be annoying, four would be acceptable but still easy to fill. Somehow six becomes mock-worthy? I like to keep 10 on my PC just to be on the safe side. :p

People haven't been saying that--options are ALWAYS good. We've just been stressing that downplaying factors like online features or mass storage while speaking enthusiastically and in terms of "future-proofing" for the difference between 1080p and 1080i shows a distinct mislabelling of priorities this generation.
Sometimes your like a poet to my goon like writing skills . But yes what you said haha

Controllers, keyboard, mouse, EyeToy, driving wheel, flight stick, an easy-to-keep-free one to hook up whatever you feel like hooking up...? I could fill up it up just with gaming peripherals if I wanted to, and that's not touching the actual "computer uses" and "media center" uses they want to push. Two would be annoying, four would be acceptable but still easy to fill. Somehow six becomes mock-worthy? I like to keep 10 on my PC just to be on the safe side.

Your gaming environment must look like a trash dump. :LOL: ;)

BTW I could hook up a bunch of stupid sh*t too like fans, chargers, led lights, but that doesn't make it better, it just makes it dumb and dumber. ;) :LOL:

I guess you are feeling pretty special because SONY gave you 6 USB ports to masturbate with. ;) :LOL:

Oh I agree that Sony's priorities are screwed rather than mislabeled. Sony def. needs to get their collective asses in gear I agree. All the companies are going into directions that I'd rather not go in and for reasons I just can't understand i'm grow less and less excited about the next-gen as more and more interviews are popping up from the companies.

Sovere what is it u don't like about ms and nintendo .

Ms seems very much about the game machine and not like sony who wants something else and the focus on online games seems to expand it . Nintendo seems very much about the games .

The cons i see for both is that Ms wants to also sell alot of stuff over that net connections and well nintendo may well just be way to off in left field with thier gaming ideas

jvd said:
Sovere what is it u don't like about ms and nintendo .

Ms seems very much about the game machine and not like sony who wants something else and the focus on online games seems to expand it . Nintendo seems very much about the games .

The cons i see for both is that Ms wants to also sell alot of stuff over that net connections and well nintendo may well just be way to off in left field with thier gaming ideas

I have all three consoles. I like all of the companies and I see faults with all the companies. I'm rather pissed as MS right now because the Xbox has a lot of potential left and they are effectively killing it off I view that as a bad move on MS's part. (They are too concerned with launching first and I hope it doesn't bite them in the ass later) Hard Drive is a super duper plus IMO although I want to know if they change their optical media before launch. (Extra Space is always good) Ugly Console IMO. I'm digging the controller. To be honest in the 360 doesn't have a wider variety of games this time around I can't guarantee i'll buy like I did last time.(Enough FPSs)

My only gripe against nintendo is that it's being Nintendo i.e. burrowing themselves into a little niche until the point where they are off the console radar not to mention their views on HDTV (next big thing Nintendo jump on board) and i'm also a little weary on the part on the controller (less buttons I'm not so sure) I'm will buy the rev at the first price drop or if it's cheaper than the 360 and the PS3 at launch. Very nice design for the console. I want to see more third party support it was pitiful this time around. Wnat to see more new IP (Loved Pikkmin)

With gripes the Sony too much emphasis on 1080p, (Cost, both monetary value and graphical umph could be spent elsewhere) no details on the harddrive,( I just hope they don't sll it seperate cuz I ain't buying) no concrete info on the online infastructure, (I want something comparable to Xbox live) way too much empahis on cell (could care less about the processor give me a game with good gameplay and great graphics you got me sold) Ugly console. Digging the controller mock-up.(have a controller like that and it's comfy to my hands) Concered about the price and whether Sony will do the infamous bundles package again (read that as raping us up the ass)

I'm willing to give all three consoles a shot. Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back