Katamari Damacy Creator Critical of Revolution Controller

Ben-Nice

Regular
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8952

In an interview conducted with Gamasutra sister publication Game Developer at the recent Game Developers Conference, maverick Namco designer and Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi has expressed skepticism over Nintendo's next-gen Revolution console, particularly targeting the machine's innovative control design.

Takahashi commented of the Revolution, which has drawn widespread praise for its underlying concepts from other Eastern and Western designers: "I'm not really interested in it. I don't think a controller should have that much influence on the enjoyment of games."

He continued: "I see what [Nintendo is] trying to do, but they're putting such emphasis on the controller; 'Woah, this controller lets you do this!' and I'm thinking - are you messing with us?"

I more or less agree with him. I'm not convinced a new control method will patently make anything better, infact I think it'll make a lot of things worse (which I think Nintendo realized, because they have their controller shells they are making -- which makes everything okay).

Playing the DS made me realize it even more so... the good games I've played on the DS aren't the ones that really use the stylus (or aren't really fun because of the stylus, but sort of in spite of it), and some of those would likely be better off not using it the little amount they did (castlevania, for example).

Sort of indifferent to the controller, but excited for the other stuff (back catalog and new games). I just hope they consistantly support wide screen! =\

yeah I agree as well. I still don't think people are going to be all that excited about it when it hits. A close friend of mine is working with the controller now, and I asked him what he thought a few days ago. All he said was "it's ok, takes some getting use to...".

Bobbler said:
I more or less agree with him. I'm not convinced a new control method will patently make anything better, infact I think it'll make a lot of things worse (which I think Nintendo realized, because they have their controller shells they are making -- which makes everything okay).

Playing the DS made me realize it even more so... the good games I've played on the DS aren't the ones that really use the stylus (or aren't really fun because of the stylus, but sort of in spite of it), and some of those would likely be better off not using it the little amount they did (castlevania, for example).

Sort of indifferent to the controller, but excited for the other stuff (back catalog and new games). I just hope they consistantly support wide screen! =\

Of course a new control method by itself doesn't make better games.

It's how the new control method is applied to games that is the key. Unlike your experience, in my experience and I'm sure many other DS owners' as well, some of the best games on DS uses the stylus to great affect. Red Steel alone looks like it will allow FPS's with more interesting control interaction than any FPS before it. Lack of imagination and ideas will not help you make good use of Revolution's controller.

Qroach said:
yeah I agree as well. I still don't think people are going to be all that excited about it when it hits. A close friend of mine is working with the controller now, and I asked him what he thought a few days ago. All he said was "it's ok, takes some getting use to...".

Doesn't sound like he has a good idea to begin with. Sounds like he's porting bog standard console control scheme to Revolution's controller and not getting too excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this. Nintendo seems to be forced into a corner and they are using this rev mote as something that they feel will somehow revolutionize gaming. What they need is support not gimics.

RavenFox said:
I agree with this. Nintendo seems to be forced into a corner and they are using this rev mote as something that they feel will somehow revolutionize gaming. What they need is support not gimics.

Care to explain how it's a gimic? Oh and what corner is that? The money basket corner?

I think what Takahashi is trying to say is you don't necessarily need or don't have to rely too much on the new controller for innovation. It's another way of saying you could do and realize many things without it.

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
I think what Takahashi is trying to say is you don't necessarily need or don't have to rely too much on the new controller for innovation. It's another way of saying you could do and realize many things without it.

.Z

Agreed and what he says is correct, but it also goes without saying.:smile:

There are many avenues of creative and orginal ideas. If you have a game that's already orginal and creative you don't necessarily need a new control method. Similary a boring game concept isn't going to magically become great just because of a new control method either. OTOH old game concepts can use the new control method to give it a fresh new experience like Red Steel will do for FPS's. If it weren't for the Revolution controller, Red Steel would be just another FPS that most people probably wouldn't even be interested in.

NANO,

I'm not saying that you are saying this, but I think its unfair to lump people who don't like the rev controller into some "They just don't have any vision..." group.

NucNavST3 said:
NANO,

I'm not saying that you are saying this, but I think its unfair to lump people who don't like the rev controller into some "They just don't have any vision..." group.

I agree that's why I made sure not to say that. For example Katamari Damacy doesn't need Revolution's controller to be original, but I think if it did use the new controller it would be much more fun. Of course this doesn't mean it will be even more original using the Revolution controller. For another example, take Monkey Ball, would it be more fun using the Revolution controller or a tilt controller? Of course. Does it need it to be original? No.

I need/want someone to show me how my four year old (guess he'll be five by the time this drops) is going to use the nunchaku. I keep seeing adults with this, and thats cool, but if I am going to buy the Rev for the whole family I need to make sure my wife and son can use the thing.

My son has no problem with the 360 controller, in fact, he can handle it much better than he could handle the S-controller, same with my wife. So, I need to see that, and then I need to see the setup of the sensors, to see if it will fit in my current setup and how easy will it be to transport from one tv to the next.

Other than that, when it hits $150, I am sure to buy it.

Bobbler said:

tell that to my kids and their nintendogs..

I agree.

Put Red Steel on the xbox 360 and people would already be complaining about "it's just another FPS."

On the Revolution, it has been raised to epic proportions by light-sabre style "sword swinging" and caviar dreams.

It will definitely be an interesting controller, but most of the "innovative" ideas I've heard so far involve the player moving the controller generate the same action that was normally done with a button.

Better control? yes.
Innovative game? nope.

As I've said elsewhere:

In the past 10-15 years we've seen the birth of new genres on the pc, even though pc game control has been primarily limited to keyboard and mouse for years:

RTS: Command and Conquer, Warcraft
MMORPS: Everquest, WoW
Sandbox games: GTA, and it's army of clones
FPS: Wolfenstein, Doom

There will be things that only the revolution controller can do, but there are plenty of innovation possible with the current controller. Today the limitation is the developer, not the controller.

NANOTEC said:
Agreed and what he says is correct, but it also goes without saying.:smile:

There are many avenues of creative and orginal ideas. If you have a game that's already orginal and creative you don't necessarily need a new control method. Similary a boring game concept isn't going to magically become great just because of a new control method either. OTOH old game concepts can use the new control method to give it a fresh new experience like Red Steel will do for FPS's. If it weren't for the Revolution controller, Red Steel would be just another FPS that most people probably wouldn't even be interested in.

NANOTEC said:
Lack of imagination and ideas will not help you make good use of Revolution's controller.
Exactly. What Nintendo really needs is a lineup of games that are along the lines of what Ubisoft Paris is trying to do: Trying to implement more interesting and intuitive interation, or gameplay built with the controllers unique features as a foundation. Although as much as he has a point, I disagree on Takahashi not being able to come up with any ideas for it :p

NANOTEC said:
Care to explain how it's a gimic? Oh and what corner is that? The money basket corner?
Its a gimic as of now. This controller seems to be to big an emphasis by Nintendo and its not going to take off like they would want from 3rd party devs. Once again Nintendo will have to rely on their own studios to fill the need for the revmote. Your making it sound like they have such a strong foothold and everything will be fine and dandy because they have a peripheral that they say will revolutionize gaming. Well guess what I donot hate Nintendo I just hate these damn notions that they someone have a cure for for something that isnt sick. I want to play my Mario and Zelda but I dislike these extreme routes they take just stick to out.
That money basket would be pretty empty these last two gens if their handhelds werent the technological hotcakes.

Edit: Stupid double posting error...

To add: I think of the Revolution controller as a tool. To the unexperienced (or unimaginative), games won't come out any different. But to those who have the talent, skill, and ideas, the Revmote more than adds possibilities to gameplay.

thenefariousone said:
I agree.

Put Red Steel on the xbox 360 and people would already be complaining about "it's just another FPS."

On the Revolution, it has been raised to epic proportions by light-sabre style "sword swinging" and caviar dreams.

Do you think it will be the same experience?, because the experience it should give seems to be as diferent as you talk about the "diferent versions" of the game.

Anyway people should not think that the remote will be better than a traditional controler in everything and every single way because it will not, meybe (probably) it will be worst in some, it should be much better in many but in a lot of it will be just diferent.

Also one advantage that it will have is that it will easier and simpler and for many that is a major feature.

To sum things up it will have advantage in some genres (specially those in FP, that work in 3D, RTSs...) it will not be any better in others (pure RPGs...) and just diferent in others (racing...).

Anyway what make many people exited is the new features it brings just like when one look at new features in a game.

RavenFox said:
Its a gimic as of now. This controller seems to be to big an emphasis by Nintendo and its not going to take off like they would want from 3rd party devs. Once again Nintendo will have to rely on their own studios to fill the need for the revmote. Your making it sound like they have such a strong foothold and everything will be fine and dandy because they have a peripheral that they say will revolutionize gaming. Well guess what I donot hate Nintendo I just hate these damn notions that they someone have a cure for for something that isnt sick. I want to play my Mario and Zelda but I dislike these extreme routes they take just stick to out.
That money basket would be pretty empty these last two gens if their handhelds werent the technological hotcakes.

For skeptics it may indeed seem like a gimic as of now but that's only because you cannot get your hands on a Revolution and final games right now. What do you expect? Nintendo hasn't really mentioned much about the actual games except for Red Steel and that game alone which isn't even a new type of game has put the controller in a totally different level of control interaction. Finally the same people that keep saying that the portable sector is what's actually bringing in the money are the same ones to ignore the 500+ title GC library as if it doesn't bring in any money.

NANOTEC said:
Doesn't sound like he has a good idea to begin with. Sounds like he's porting bog standard console control scheme to Revolution's controller and not getting too excited about it.

Well for one, nothing said should give that impression. he actually went on to say how they are using the controller in a way that works really well with thier game. He just personally isn't freaking out over the controller like many fanbots on the net...

Back