John Carmack opens a blog and has random graphics thoughts

Last I heard, upcoming hardware was going to start actually fetching from the other side textures directly. A second-tier chip company claimed to do this correctly a while ago, but I never actually tested it.

S3 or Matrox? Just out of curiousity.

Well, I don't think i'll ever get a response from John Carmack on anything technical. So after emailing him, and not getting a response, i've decided to give up all hope of an email from him, and also i've given up all fanboyism towards him.

Mordenkainen said:
promises, promises.

:devilish:

Well when the supposedly "best" person in the industry fails to impliment proper fragment program support in his engine, while all these industry newbies (CryTek, Valve etc..) are implimenting it just fine, it kind of tells you that he's not even the best anymore. Plus, blind fanboyism only leads to disappointment.

XxStratoMasterXx said:
Well when the supposedly "best" person in the industry fails to impliment proper fragment program support in his engine, while all these industry newbies (CryTek, Valve etc..) are implimenting it just fine, it kind of tells you that he's not even the best anymore. Plus, blind fanboyism only leads to disappointment.
JC "fails to implement proper fragment program support in his engine"? This is based on what? Knowing exactly what his priorities and intentions are when making Doom3? You're saying JC is not good enough a programmer to implement proper fragment program support in his engine? Is that what you're saying? OMG.

And nobody said JC is the best (well, okay, some still kneel and bow when he walks past them IRL).

C'mon, admit it, he was your idol because you read a lot of stuff about him (and believed in the hype about him) but you're pissed that he doesn't reply to your emails and not because of "improper fragment program support".

JC is a great programmer. I am a fan of his programming skills. That should be that. I read what you wrote and I am lost for words at your display of immaturity. Well, almost (since I posted this reply).

BTW, since no one has discussed anything technical in nature about what John wrote, this doesn't belong in the 3DHW&T forum. Moved.

Ailuros said:
Last I heard, upcoming hardware was going to start actually fetching from the other side textures directly. A second-tier chip company claimed to do this correctly a while ago, but I never actually tested it.

S3 or Matrox? Just out of curiousity.
You really believe it could be Matrox? :oops:
I should be able find out if it's S3. But not today :(

Back