Jaguar CPU in XBox and PS4 *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by vipa899, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

The CPUs in the next gen consoles are going to make a massive difference in my opinion. We talking a massive improvement.

2. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

Not really (in my opinion). The problem here is just, as CPUs in current gen might be underpowered, we still have the problem that the gpu is almost used 100%.
    What might happen, that we get 60fps at current state of the (console) art graphics, but 30 again with better graphics.
    E.g. most popular shooter games etc don't really need that much cpu-power. With a bigger CPU it would be just easier to get them running. The main focus in this genre is still the GPU alone. If they want to target 60fps, they must sacrifice graphics because else the GPU has also to do twice the work.
    It might change a few things where AI is a little bit more important, but nothing really more (e.g. RTS would profit the most, but well … on console …). Thanks to the mid-gen refresh the next jump from current-get to next-gen will be even smaller than ps3->ps4

vipa899 and HBRU like this.
  3. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

maybe the "generation" concept is over for Console... For MS sure. For Sony will see....

vipa899 likes this.
  4. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Amd is coming with a 12 core soon, maybe next gen will get more then just 8?

A core i5 2100 would have been much better for the PS4 :)

5. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I love open world games though. People also say the CPUs didn't hold them back this gen but of course they did. The more powerful CPUs for sure will make it easier to hit 60fps in the games that need it but there will be other improvements also. More varied AI, animation and physics. In fact I feel the biggest difference that next gen will deliver will be because of the CPUs, unless of course they go with anemic CPUs again :(

I feel AMD is in a much better place to deliver a more rounded APU compared to the current gen.

6. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

Dont believe next gen will have just 4 cores...

7. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Not on the temporal reconstruction era. You guys keep forgetting that.

8. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

If AMD could build a better framework for GPU accelerated computing, I could actually see such a move as being possible, especially if Zen 2 ends up being a sizeable jump over first gen Zen architecture.

vipa899 likes this.
  9. Megadrive1988

Veteran

I do expect PS5 and Scarlet to use Zen 2 micro-architecture with 8 full cores. Most likely 8c/16t/

The console CPUs just won't be clocked as high as Zen 2 desktop counterparts.

#49 Megadrive1988, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  10. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

8c/16t zen2 for PS5 ... Yes... But this is going to be expensive into an APU so coming late into Consoles (2023/24)... Maybe 5nm

11. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

On about the jaguar in ps4/xbox, to what desktop cpu can the Pro/one x be compared best to?

12. Lalaland

Regular

Well AMD doesn't sell Jaguar into the desktop space any more so an Atom based Pentium series CPU would be the best fit afaik, there's an Anandtech article from 2013 that is a reasonable fit for comparative purposes

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6974/amd-kabini-review

vipa899 likes this.
  13. Megadrive1988

Veteran

PS5 and Scarlet aren't nearly that far away. Most likely Fall 2020, or 2021 at the latest.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft are going to use Intel.

99% chance they're both using AMD and an iteration of Zen.

14. Lalaland

Regular

Oh I agree Intel has less than no interest in making consoles, what I was trying to say is that the best comparison point between Jaguar and modern desktop CPUs is the Atom based family