It's a good thing the U.S. got that World Court exemption...

Clashman

Regular
...because this sure looks like it could be a War Crime:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../wl_mideast_afp/iraq_unrest_camp_030615012204

US army kills 82 fighters in Iraqi training camp: witnesses
Sat Jun 14, 9:22 PM ET Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

SAHL, Iraq (AFP) - A massive US army attack on a desert training camp in Iraq (news - web sites) earlier this week killed 82 fighters, some of who appeared to have been summarily executed, according to witness reports.

"In total 82 people died in the camp" including at least one non-Iraqi, AFP was told by the imam of the main mosque in the village of Rawa, near the camp at Sahl, near Iraq's border with Syria.

Rawa villagers who went to the camp had found the corpses of seven people who had been handcuffed and shot in the forehead, chest or in the back of the head, the imam, Sheikh Gharbi Abdul Aziz, said.

He said the villagers had found another 50 bodies all in a line at the camp, which appears to have been used as a training ground by die-hard supporters of ousted leader Saddam Hussein (news - web sites).

"What I saw was unspeakable. I can't get over the sight of all these young people dead. Some were handcuffed," Abd al-Wujud, a driver who said he helped carry the corpses out of the camp, told AFP.

The imam said he had taken part in the burial of the 82 bodies, "some were in pieces or totally burnt".

The fighting erupted at dawn on Thursday at the camp, which included an arms dump, and lasted 13 hours, according to residents from Rawa, 350 kilometers (210 miles) northwest of Baghdad.

They said the camp had been bombed and that a gunbattle between US troops and the fighters had followed shortly afterwards.

The US army had fired at least six cluster bombs, they added.

The imam said villagers had carried 60 bodies from the camp and seven more from a site nearby, where a US helicopter had come down on Thursday. They were all buried at Rawa cemetery.

An AFP correspondent saw 15 more graves at the camp marked by wooden sticks.

"When the bombing stopped on Thursday and when the Americans left, residents came and picked up loads of flesh and gore," said Abd al-Hadi Mahmud, a local garage owner.

"Some bodies were completely torn to pieces -- feet, legs, skulls."

"When they came to the village, they never did us any harm. They were polite," he added.

Bloodstained mattresses and pieces of discarded weaponry seen at the camp testified to the remorselessness of the attack.

The 15 graves seen at the camp were marked by bottles bearing the names of those among the dead whose bodies had been identified.

They included Osama Mahfudh Salem from Yemen and Abd as-Sattar Mohammad from Fallujah, a conservative Sunni Muslim town west of the Iraqi capital, which has seen sustained anti-US violence.

US Central Command said a US Apache helicopter was apparently shot down by hostile fire in western Iraq on Thursday but that its two crew members were not injured.

"Two additional Apache helicopters assisted in engaging irregular forces in the vicinity of the downed aircraft," a Centcom statement said

"the only difference between suicide and martyrdom is press coverage"
-Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor

Good book :)

i prefer to call them homicide bombers. These people are cowards. I dont think the story is true, ONTH.

later,

Yeah, and every major American press agency used to refer to Osama bin Laden and the Contras as "freedom fighters" without quotations.

What's your point? It's not like the people who write the stories pick the headlines for them.

i guess it might depend on how they treat civilians, if you feel necessary to kill women and children then you are a terrorist. if you limit yourself to ligitimate military targets then i would more than likely have no problem calling you a freedom fighter.

later,

Clashman said:
Yeah, and every major American press agency used to refer to Osama bin Laden and the Contras as "freedom fighters" without quotations.

Not for murdering civilians, they sure as hell didn't.

What's your point? It's not like the people who write the stories pick the headlines for them.

No, their editors write the headlines. And considering that AFP is a pooled wire service (like the AP or Reuters) that doesn't even give writers a byline, it's the editors who determine the style and tone of the piece. It wouldn't be uncommon for a story like this to be written by multiple writers.

Deepak said:
Operation Iraqi Freedom!
Of course, those "die-hard" Hussein loyalists were only looking out for the Iraqi people's interests.

I'm not saying I agree with what the report says it appeared American soldiers did (summary executions), but I will say I'll give American soldiers the benefit of the doubt.

Wow. If this irks the original poster and they actually believe it, then they better lobby to have the Frence sent in for war crimes too for all the killing they did over the weekend in Bunia/Congo.

Of course, when French soldiers kill people, it isn't news. It's only US soldiers that make the headlines.

Deepak said:
These things will stop once Indian and Pakistani troops arrive in Iraq as requested by US//// :D
Yes, the lies will stop......The actions never took place.

Dave H said:
It's truly amazing how otherwise intelligent people can be so willing to believe anything that makes the US look bad. :rolleyes:

(BTW, this is the same Agence France-Presse that www.honestreporting.com/a/r/367.asp+mideast+afp&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]calls suicide bombers "martyrs" in their headlines[/url]--without quotation marks.)

It's also truly amazing how otherwise intelligent people can be so willing to only believe things that makes the US look good when the truth is somewhere in between.

What, I thought it was always false if Centcom said it? That's what indymedia tells me, anyways.

This blog (referenced by Dear Raed) is quite an interesting look into the realities of what is going on in Iraq and how its being reported: http://geeinbaghdad.blogspot.com/2003_06_01_geeinbaghdad_archive.html#105505707277309040

What happened to the reports of summary executions in Afghanistan by US troops? Nothing, of course. They were only rumors. Likely these are, also, especially since no other major news source has picked them up and run with them.

Dave H said:
Not for murdering civilians, they sure as hell didn't.

That's exactly what Reagan referred to the Contras as, when all they did was attack and terrorize the civilian population, (because they had zero popular support, and because they were never strong enough to seriously pose a threat to the Nicaraguan military).

No, their editors write the headlines. And considering that AFP is a pooled wire service (like the AP or Reuters) that doesn't even give writers a byline, it's the editors who determine the style and tone of the piece. It wouldn't be uncommon for a story like this to be written by multiple writers.

And once again, what's the point? You're basing this all off of one headline that used the word martyr without quotations, (the actual body of the story did use quotes). Moreover, the use of the word 'martyr' was not in reference to any suicide bomber, to the best of either of our knowledge. The militant was trying to attack an illegal settlement, which can hardly be considered a purely civilian outpost, and was killed by Israeli soldiers. For all you know, the other two people listed could be, (and in fact likely were), civillians. Moreover, how is it that you find yourself so antagonistically opposed to the use of the word "martyr" to describe the Palestinian case, when the Israeli government, which has killed far more civilians, (including bulldozing an American college student non-violently trying to prevent the destruction of a house), can be said to be fighting "A War On Terrorism"?

And moving past this, what makes the original story so disreputable, (other than the fact that its "French"), that it does not even warrant investigation or an official response? Is it that implausible that well-meaning people, (ie U.S. Soldiers), could fly off the handle and start shooting people who had already surrendered? People thought Mai Lai could never happen either, and this, to me, seems much more plausible than mowing down hundreds of villagers.

RussSchultz said:
What happened to the reports of summary executions in Afghanistan by US troops? Nothing, of course. They were only rumors. Likely these are, also, especially since no other major news source has picked them up and run with them.

Some things become very easy to overlook when you don't want to search for them, Russ. In a country with no government, there's no authority you can go to to get a thorough investigation of what happened, and alot of things slip through the cracks. Even things that do make it big, (remember in Afghanistan where they arrested 23 and killed another 15, only to find out later that their intelligence was faulty? The only reason that was even reported was because they already had the people in custody and had to go through the ceremony of releasing them), are forgotten quickly. Any investigation into the troops who fired into the crowd of a protest in Mosul last month? Didn't think so. Will there ever be? I doubt it. Does that mean it didn't happen? Absolutely not.

The incident you're talking about was is Fajulla, not Mosul. There was an inquiry (or at least there was the 'no fault found' report in the news).

edit: see next post.

Back