Is it ok to think Scientologists are bonkers?

I noticed in my readings it mentioned more than a couple of times that the Germans are totally against scientology (little "S", you're right they don't deserve it)......why is that?

_xxx_ said:
Because people have enogh common sense left here?
That would definately explain it.
yep.gif

My wife's been in the inner nest in L.A. :D

There are a couple of interesting books on Hubbard, and I seem to recall that one of them has been made available on the net.

If you're interested in knowing a good chunk of the Scientologists enemy list and world-view on what's wrong with modern society and institutions, read Hubbards (well. . .this would get me into a whole different discussion, but I'll avoid it for now) 10 volume MISSION EARTH. It's all there. . .

There is a lot of societal and governmental resistance to getting a new religion recognized (not, mind you, that this is an entirely bad thing), and I will say that a goodly portion of some of the paranoid and weird sh*t their leadership did over a period of years was a direct result of being under assault by various forces. Sometimes they made bad decisions for sure. :LOL:

But, y'know, pretty much every religion, if looked at objectively, asks you to swallow some pretty big "you're kidding me, right?" stuff if you're a new outsider being exposed for the first time. Whether it be the cannabilism of Roman Catholicism, the *symbolic* cannabilism of Protestantism, or the golden tablets and their contents of Mormonism.

Which is not to say that lots and lots of very fine folks haven't signed-on to these things, often raised into them and so deeply in their context that they really don't think about them all that much.

EDIT: Ah, here it is. Read the physical version of this, and a couple more, some years back. http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt

geo said:
If you're interested in knowing a good chunk of the Scientologists enemy list and world-view on what's wrong with modern society and institutions, read Hubbards (well. . .this would get me into a whole different discussion, but I'll avoid it for now) 10 volume MISSION EARTH. It's all there. . .
I read the series before I learned anything about scientology, I was a huge "golden age" sci-fi nut in my youth. :oops:

Here in the UK, Jedi became recognised as an official religion after over 300,000 proclaimed themselves Jedi Knights in the national census. Fact. You need 100,000 to become an official religion or something like that.

But, it isn't because people believe it, I don't think, it's because they thought it was a good idea at the time.

Geoff321 said:
Here in the UK, Jedi became recognised as an official religion after over 300,000 proclaimed themselves Jedi Knights in the national census. Fact. You need 100,000 to become an official religion or something like that.

But, it isn't because people believe it, I don't think, it's because they thought it was a good idea at the time.
I don't mind the Jedi as much, I don't think they take it as seriously or try and recruit thru the same means as the scientologists or use the same black-ops tactics on their enemies.

Besides, how can you not sort of feel sorry for/like someone who declares their religion "Jedi"....I mean it's the light side of the force!

Besides, how can you not sort of feel sorry for/like someone who declares their religion "Jedi"....I mean it's the light side of the force!

all the religeons are just a bunch of morals told in stories to get people to behave . Why wouldn't "Jedi" work ?

Well, Scientology is no more bonkers than any other religion. The only reasons why I don't consider believers in other religions as being as bonkers as scientology believers is because:

a. Not many people in Western society, for instance, can have grown up in an environemnt that was free from the idea that there is a God of some sort and that many people believe in him/it whatever, givng the idea legitimacy. Quite apart from those people who are brought up in religious families and essentially brainwashed from a young age, even those who we brought up in secular homes probably start off life being exposed to the powerful idea of God. So, though i find it depressing that intelligent, well adjusted people cna be believers, I dont think it makes them bonkers.

b. damn, i forgot the second reason!

Anyway, for me I quite like having idiocy like Scientology around, it puts the more traditional religions into context. My only worry is that I don't think it's very helpful in America where the whole idea of faith seems to be getting out of control.

Anyway, spare a thought for poor old Tom Cruise, he is clearly going heading towards a second half of his life where his ridiculous faith causes him to be seen as a crank and a madman and where he will be increasingly ridiculed. I suspect Scientology is going to backfire on him badly and it's going to end up making him more and more miserable the older he gets. I think we can all imagine a 70 year old Tom Cruise being wheeled out for a good laugh with the interviewer pretending to respect his faith, but really just cashing in on the freakshow value. A little like Charlton heston in the 9/11 movie, you can't help but feel a bit sorry for someone so deeply flawed.

little like Charlton heston in the 9/11 movie, you can't help but feel a bit sorry for someone so deeply flawed.
Wait , I thought we were supposed to feel sorry for Moore ?

Anyway I believe in the right to own a gun. I own many guns and they are locked away untill we go hunting . If you want to take guns away then I think i should start making a big deal about tv and going around shoving camera's in front of people blaming them for deaths

Every person who clings strongly to a religion thinks that all others are absurd and with a smug of self righteousness looks down on them.

What they don't realise is that some islamic, buddist and hindu followers look upon christianity with just as much hilarious contempt as we do with $cientology.

So what if Xenu is the ruler of the Galaxy and entraps our souls to be reincarnated again and again? Its just as valid a story as a guy building an ark and sailing around with animals while the world is flooded.

Any religion can be made to look wacko. Its all a matter of perspective

Agisthos said:
So what if Xenu is the ruler of the Galaxy and entraps our souls to be reincarnated again and again?

I hope he will: I just can't believe in a supernatural being who calls himself (or herself, or itself) Xenu...he/she/it may be a god, but sure without a taste for names! Sheesh...

Scientology is in some ways more dangerous than other religions due to the fact that it operates like a Mafia when it is challenged.

Consider the case of Keith Henson, Scientology protester, who made a joke on USENET about a "Tom Cruise Missile" The result? The Cult got him convicted and sentenced to a year in jail. He is now a fugitive of the US in Canada.

"When Keith Henson posted a joke about blowing up Church of Scientology members with a 'Tom Cruise Missile in the alt.religion.scientology newsgroup, he didn't think it would get him arrested. Granted, it wasn't the cleverest joke ever made, but to date there are no criminal statutes on the books that punish bad humor. Despite this glaring hole in our country's legislation, Henson's posts were admitted as evidence in April when he was brought up on charges of terrorism, attempted terrorism, and interfering with religion to enjoy a constitutional right (freedom of religion). Henson was convicted of the interfering charge (a hate crime) in California court and sentenced to up to a year in prison, in addition to a fine of $3,000. Before sentencing, Henson jumped bail and sought political asylum in Canada where, at press time, he remains. With one quick clatter of the keys, Henson had joined the esteemed ranks of Lenny Bruce and George Carlin----those who've been arrested for telling jokes.

The thread-----which Henson didn't actually start-----is a typical flurry of geek banter, several people riffing on the Tom Cruise Missile concept. Anyone who's spent any time with those infatuated by technology and inflamed by a cause would immediately recognize this type of bonding and blowing off steam.

So how did Henson end up on the run in a foreign country? Setting aside Scientology's widely reported suppression and intimidation tactics (which the church has denied), the issue becomes one of cultural ignorance.

Jokes are inherently unsanitary. They take the stuffing out of our leaders as well as our loved ones, often making the comfortable uncomfortable. And for better or worse, the online "death threat" has become one of the Net's standard jokes. For instance, a quick Web search on 'Britney Spears' turned up an entire domain-as-death-threat: kill-britney.com. It's practically a law of nature: Get enough Netizens together and they're going to start coming up with creative ways to off David Spade.

But if anyone had a mind to selectively edit the above, a process similar to the one Henson experienced, a person could be made to sound like a cult leader instructing his disciples to "start coming up with ways to off David Spade." In a world where the parody site Bonsai Kitten gets investigated by the FBI (see Talk of the Net, May 2001), it appears that everything you say, no matter how ironic the intent, is now fair game.

If Keith Henson had limited his protests to shouting at the top of his lungs about Tom Cruise Missiles out-side scientology headquarters, he probably would have been dismissed as a harmless kook. But once his words went on the Net, they were enough to help convince a jury that a penniless 58-year-old man was planning to deploy a piece of military hardware costing $600,000 and accessible only to top levels of the U.S. armed forces.

Now the Cult is after his wife, and his wife's house.

Try this: Look up "Scientology" and "Fair Game"

DemoCoder said:
Scientology is in some ways more dangerous than other religions due to the fact that it operates like a Mafia when it is challenged.

Sorry to hear they are still doing this crap. Around 1993 I attended a session by L. Sprague de Camp and his wife Catherine (one of the great sweetie-pies of all time). These people actually knew "Ron" before and during the war. Someone asked about him. Sprague gave a long, rambling (and characteristically) amusing answer. . .that said nothing. He explained that he had come to terms with the Church --he would no longer talk about Ron, and they'd leave him the hell alone. At the end he said, "So I can't say anything about Ron. . .Catherine, however, can tell you everything!" Followed by her pixie smile (okay, you had to be there to get just how hilarious that was).

Agisthos said:
geo said:
Sorry to hear they are still doing this crap. Around 1993 I attended a session by L. Sprague de Camp and his wife Catherine

The L. Sprague de Camp Of Conan fame?

Amongst others. It was at a Worldcon in San Francisco. Got a chance to shake his hand and receive a smile from Catherine, so it was all good. :) Then there was the time Fred Pohl directed me to the beer at a suite party --that was a beautiful moment, particularly since I didn't know he was there until just then; I did a classic double-take. :LOL:

None of these folks are close friends, I've just been lucky to rub shoulders from time to time.

Geoff321 said:

no it didnt.. but if you believe that ,i've a very nice bridge for sale in brooklyn... oh and a big tower i own in paris

http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.htm

btw,, the OED is removing the word gullible from the dictionary as well ;)

-dave-

when i was a student, during freshers week, the uni would be full of people trying to recruit students.. some of em well meaning and friendly , some of them from cults... since then they did clamp down a lot ..

Back