iPad 2

I now have a device with a fraction of my laptop's weight that can entertain me most of the way to Asia, do email, presentations, skype with video, ssh, gotomeeting, etc. When you do two weeks wiith 8 cities in Asia with a briefcase and carryon (no checked bag) this is a big deal.

So how many pairs of underwear is that iPad 2 really worth to you, huh? :mrgreen:

Were you supposed to quote the numbers from the recent quarter published yesterday? your link is one quarter older and was released in January.

Read the article, it's the same numbers...$6 Billion profit.

Yea and what happens when your wrists are tied because of the restirctions put in place after the trials ? Thats right someone else becomes top dog.

Apple will still be top dog even with restrictions...that's how far ahead they've gotten.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not much of a Facebook user...I don't use safari either as iCab Mobile is so much better. I'll try Facebook on it later. What doesnt work?

On the bottom right corner of the facebook page there is supposed to be this instant messaging chat thingie. It does not appear there at all.

If I go to www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php then it opens this facebook chat page but it doesn´t find any of my friends, it says "No friend lists available" and also I don´t appear on my friends´ friends list. If I log right out and log back in on my pc then I see the friends list on my pc so I know people are online at the moment... logout and back on with the ipad though and... nothing...

I tried a couple of special facebook chat apps, AIM and Facely... but neither of them found my friends list for chat either.

Basic facebook functionality works other than for the chat though. Somebody said they updated facebook recently and there is some kind of bug with some of the IM clients and they may get a fix later on but I dunno.

Edit: Never mind, I finally got it to work with Atomic Browser with its internet explorer 8 setting. Thank you Arwin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the article, it's the same numbers...$6 Billion profit.

I don't disagree with the situation, just thought it was probably typo, since you said "just got fucking owned by Apple"

and showed numbers from january, when they just within 24h released new information. Yeah the new quarter doesn't show as strong Ipad numbers, but that's natural when everyone was expecting the new model. The old one still sold quite good. The results from this ongoing quarter are going to be interesting, especially the Ipad 2 sales. If Apple manages to produce them, the sales should be pretty huge.

I'm personally holding off for Ipad 3 as I just bought a cheap Ipad 1.

On the bottom right corner of the facebook page there is supposed to be this instant messaging chat thingie. It does not appear there at all.

If I go to www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php then it opens this facebook chat page but it doesn´t find any of my friends, it says "No friend lists available" and also I don´t appear on my friends´ friends list. If I log right out and log back in on my pc then I see the friends list on my pc so I know people are online at the moment... logout and back on with the ipad though and... nothing...

I tried a couple of special facebook chat apps, AIM and Facely... but neither of them found my friends list for chat either.

Basic facebook functionality works other than for the chat though. Somebody said they updated facebook recently and there is some kind of bug with some of the IM clients and they may get a fix later on but I dunno.

Edit: Never mind, I finally got it to work with Atomic Browser with its internet explorer 8 setting. Thank you Arwin!

Works in iCab too.

I have to say, Infinity Blade looks better than what I remember playstation 2/original xbox games looking like. Also of note Real Racing 2 looks a bit worse, still better than playstation 1, not quite to the level of gran turismos 4 or the like... but it has interesting control with the steering by tilting the whole device. Anyways, Angry Birds, your turn!

I have to say, Infinity Blade looks better than what I remember playstation 2/original xbox games looking like. Also of note Real Racing 2 looks a bit worse, still better than playstation 1, not quite to the level of gran turismos 4 or the like... but it has interesting control with the steering by tilting the whole device. Anyways, Angry Birds, your turn!

Will Apple continue to use high-performance components every year?

You don't ever expect a mobile device to have the power of a console, which doesn't have the same kind of power restrictions.

But if they keep improving overall performance every year, iPad games may look good enough for even some console gamers.

Especially if those games are $10 tops.

http://firemint.com/2011/real-racing-2-hd-1080p-screenshots/

On that vein, Real Racing 2 HD has been updated with TV support. They are now able to drive a TV at 1080p while independently displaying telemetry data on the iPad's screen. Perhaps you could argue the quality isn't quite Gran Turismos 4, but the Playstation 2 wasn't driving 1080p. Even most Playstation 3 games don't output at 1080p. In this case, it might make more sense for Firemint to concentrate on 720p and add additional effects. I don't know what happened to the rear mirrors for example. Still a good showing at these early days for the SGX543MP2 and iPad 2.

Infinity Blade has always delivered high-end visuals that are well beyond last generation consoles; the smoothness added by iPad 2 just intensifies that.

Infinity-Blade_624.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/News/NewsMediaGallery/Infinity_Blade_14.jpg

meh , when jobs leave sthe company will be back in the toliet. If you have apple stock i'd sell it before he dies.

Also a few anti trust cases are going to go foward against apple. So they might get butt hurt from a few goverments and consumer groups

"We'll see", a wise, old man once said.

I don't quite get the negativity put forward by you.

When your old top-seller, the iPod, sees a dive due to strong sales of both the iPad and iPhone (which are more expensive), profits should soar. At the end of the day, they still have over $65 billion in ready cash.

Because last generation consoles were full of "static one character VS one character fighting in a single locality" games ?
Interactive tech demos usualy look good on other platforms too.
Perhaps the single core Cortex A8 and a SGX535 in the Apple A4 has trouble outclassing last gen consoles, but I wouldn't count the dual core Cortex A9 and SGX543MP2 in the Apple A5 out just because the best we've seen so far has been Infinity Blade. The latest rumours are that Infinity Blade's success has Chair working on a more full featured RPG title while Apple is giving big game developers prototype iPhones with the Apple A5 to make a gaming push with launch titles that take advantage of its power. There is no doubt significantly more upside to the iPad 2's capabilities than we are seeing so far.

UE3 has gotten most of the spotlight on pushing the graphical envelope in iOS, but Epic has been cautious in developing their own iOS titles and adoption by other developers is slowed by licensing fees. Which is why I've been wondering why Capcom hasn't ported their MT Framework to iOS? Capcom has been very supportive of iOS, releasing games from many of their franchises. Using the MT Framework will give them the buzz that Chair has been taking advantage of by being a graphical showpiece, while it should also simplify development by maximizing asset reuse instead of developing completely separate iOS versions. It may perhaps even be possible to develop cross-platform titles between 3DS and iOS if the 3DS slots in between the A4 and A5 in performance. Square Enix has shown that games above the psychological $10 barrier are in fact viable on iOS, so it would be interesting to see what type of price differential can be supported for a cross-platform 3DS/iOS title.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/620/620463/soulcalibur-iii-20050531100811126.jpg

Quite a few console games last generation presented a couple characters within a limited environment, and they don't even match up to the 3GS version of Infinity Blade.

Not to mention that the picture posted of Infinity Blade is actually displaying three characters, that multi-touch control requires more CPU processing than most physical controls, and that the environments of Infinity Blade aren't all that small.

I recently bought Civilization Revolution for the ipad2. I let my wife play it. She seems to like it. She actually even said the Three Word Sentence to me.

Yes.

I do mean "One More Turn"

And she added "Blame yourself"

Well, I did manage to get the kids to sleep. :D

"We'll see", a wise, old man once said.

I don't quite get the negativity put forward by you.

When your old top-seller, the iPod, sees a dive due to strong sales of both the iPad and iPhone (which are more expensive), profits should soar. At the end of the day, they still have over $65 billion in ready cash.

Mp3 players were sure to start to die out. With data plans becoming more and more popular music streaming only makes sense . Even my mother who knows nothing about computers has pandora (i set it up) and no longer uses her ipod shuffle. We were going to get her a zune hd for mothers day but she actually picked up on the pandora really quickly.

I think dedicated mp3 players will still be around esp for those who want to bring alot of music with them / or don't have data plans . but in terms of the classic ipods (hardrive based ) i think we have reached the point where 99% of users don't need more space and that there really isn't anywhere further to go feature wise.

ipods will continue to fall off in market share

As for Apple , I don't see them being top dog , they got this new type of tablet out quickly but google is already there and it seems like x86 cpus are finally getting there for windows . So who knows how much longer the ipad will be the top dog .

Iphones also have the problem of being on fewer carriers andriod already past them and with the nokia deal some of the anylst companys think even ms will pass them.

anyway if you want to talk more about it , post in tablet wars thread. I don't want to mess up the ipad thread for everyone

LOL eastmen.
Android tablets are out and the Asus looks sweet for hardware, but they are so far behind it's silly.
Standalone SSL Imap required for many companies? No.
Skype video? No.
ssh? sort of
Gotomeeting? No.
profitable software development? No.
Editable powerpoint? No.
etc.

Sure, android will catch up, but will Apple stagnate? Why would they?
They have a card-based multitasking iOS (per webos) in beta and margins that allow them to kill anyone in the market if they want (vertical integration).

As for iPhones (I don't own one), android has passed iOS for phones, but only because of cheap fragmentation. It's like the old msdos situation. Google gave it away for free at the cost of no control just like IBM and ... uh does IBM do anything in DOS anymore? OS/2? Computers? No.

So IBM gave it away to get 0% and Apple stayed closed to get 20%. Hmm.

That's the other geek holy grail I'd like to see slayed, the whole streaming from the cloud thing.

Rumors are that Apple will do that, let you upload your music to a digital locker in a revamped MobileMe service and let you stream it to any device.

But data plans now have caps and coverage at times is spotty. Meanwhile, the digital audio player market stopped being about the ability to have access to ALL your music at all times, which is why the iPod Nano sold in much greater volume than the iPod Classic with the big hard drive.

I have Pandora installed but I haven't yet registered an account. Don't like to keep making accounts to use a product. Turns out Pandora was mining certain personal data so I'm glad I never logged onto it from the iPhone.

My plan is paid for by work but I use way less 200 MB a month so I could get by with the $15 plan which gives you 250 MB on AT&T if I were paying for my own. But that wouldn't work if I streamed a lot of music and video. So would I pay $10 more a month (for the 2 GB plan) to do more streaming?

Why bother? I could add a couple of gigs of music to my iPhone easily and use not just less data but probably less battery as I won't be using the 3G connection to stream.

Actually, I listen mostly to my Nano, which I got for the gym but end up carrying all the time.

So this free streaming service, I don't see myself uploading almost 30 GB of audio (and still have more CDs I could rip) when I can load plenty of audio content (including a lot of podcasts) with what I already have.

People don't like to sync but you have to charge these things almost every day anyways -- that's another thing I don't get, people clamoring for Wifi syncing, which is slower and doesn't recharge your device.

Back