iPad 2

I just got message that I can retrieve Ipad2 from local post office. I´ll go get it once I get off from work. Also got a keyboard dock for charging and typing.
Now. Is there bejeweled 3 for ipad?
Anything remotely resembling Heroes of Might and Magic?
Anything like Civilization?
What is the most graphically awesome game/demo/app to really demonstrate the power of Ipad2?
Emulators? (need jailbreak?)

I just got message that I can retrieve Ipad2 from local post office. I´ll go get it once I get off from work. Also got a keyboard dock for charging and typing.
What is the most graphically awesome game/demo/app to really demonstrate the power of Ipad2?
Well there is Bejeweled 2.
Civilization Revolution for iPad is available on iTunes.
Graphically awesome games would be Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2 HD, and Dead Space 2 HD. Make sure you are getting iPad optimized versions if they are available (labeled for iPad or HD) rather than the general for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad versions.
For emulators, some require jailbreaks. Others like Commodore 64 are available on iTunes. Many retro games are being repackaged for iOS too like Atari's Greatest Hits has games from the Atari VCS/2600 and arcades.

There is a remake of HOMM. The official product has control issues. Avoid. The remake is nice and for free - they charge for extra maps. If you like HOMM, you may or may not like Ascendancy, which plays similar to Masters of Orion and kin on the PC.
There is an official Civilization product. On the iPhone it has control issues. (Why do I sound like a broken record regarding ports from large publishers with lousy controls?) However, it has been rereleased for both iPhone and iPad, and the iPad version with its larger screen might well be OK.

As far as graphically neat products goes, Infinity Blade is almost over the top in gnarly detail. It gets ridiculous, nobody in their right mind would design armor like that. I actually prefer Dead Space. Both control really well on the iPad2, the frame rate doesn't miss a beat, and Dead Space convinced me that there may be a future for shooters without mouse-look.

And you need DungeonRaid.

Both control really well on the iPad2, the frame rate doesn't miss a beat, and Dead Space convinced me that there may be a future for shooters without mouse-look.
I actually haven't tried Dead Space. Gameloft games are generally considered the gold standard for shooter controls on iOS and I've found them to be good/acceptable always with the caveat "for a touchscreen device". Do you know if Dead Space controls are better or as good just different?

I actually haven't tried Dead Space. Gameloft games are generally considered the gold standard for shooter controls on iOS and I've found them to be good/acceptable always with the caveat "for a touchscreen device". Do you know if Dead Space controls are better or as good just different?

Better.
Gameloft uses "virtual" joysticks. And I'm really not happy with the inherent weaknesses of that compared with physical joysticks, particularly for a genre of games that plays better with mouselook in the first place!

Dead Space does use a left side virtual d-pad that allows you freedom of finger placement. Since it isn't detecting more than 90 degree direction and distance from where you put your finger down in the up direction (to allow running), there isn't much that can go wrong. It's very basic, and thus works. WASD, essentially, plus running forward. Less ambitious than NOVAs virtual joystick, but also without its frustrations.
What really makes it shine is the right side mouselook, using your finger. On the iPhone, the small screen would make control a bit inaccurate, and the fact that you cover part of your screen with your finger can be annoying on a smaller screen. On the iPad2 however, it works beautifully. Sensitivity and accuracy is mouse-like, the frame rate, even with the improved graphics, is high enough that even an old competitive Quake player is happy - it is a very direct feeling, and good control is achieved with only your thumb down in the corner. You fire by tapping the screen where your finger happens to be. Now, NOVA has mouselook as well, but there you fire your weapon by tapping on a specific fire-button, which not only takes space, but requires you to stop using your finger to move, moving it to the fire button, fire, and then moving it back to an area outside the fire button to rotate your view/aim. It is as if to shoot on a PC game, you had to release the mouse, tap the return button to fire, and then move your hand to the mouse again to aim at a moving target. NOVAs scheme makes it impossible to aim and shoot at the same time. Dead Space still doesn't allow you move your aim and fire at the same time, (theoretically possible with multitouch), but the interruption of your aim is shorter, and thus more tolerable as well as not stealing screen real estate, restricting where you can use your finger to aim or requiring you to hit a particular physical spot to fire.

There are other aspects of the game interface that doesn't work very well unfortunately, but basic movement is the best I've seen so far outside WASD+mouse. Pity about the firing messing up the aim.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are other aspects of the game interface that doesn't work very well unfortunately, but basic movement is the best I've seen so far outside WASD+mouse. Pity about the firing messing up the aim.
Free placement WASD on a touchscreen sounds interesting. I generally play games on computer with mouse and keyboard rather than controller on consoles anyways. I guess the only concern is how badly the transition from mouse-look to firing messes up the aim.

facebook chat doesn´t work on ipad 2 using the built in safari browser... This is a big problem.

There seems to be an iphone/ipod app for facebook chat but its not ipad optimized and wouldn´t probably be satisfactory experience.

Do you know if there exists any ipad instant messaging software that also supports facebook chat and possibly some other instant messaging platforms?

I'm not much of a Facebook user...I don't use safari either as iCab Mobile is so much better. I'll try Facebook on it later. What doesnt work? I know I've logged in on my iPad before...

While I like the idea...the idea of a tablet still does not make sense to me...its a laptop after all with a touch screen and a slightly different OS?

While I like the idea...the idea of a tablet still does not make sense to me...its a laptop after all with a touch screen and a slightly different OS?

I think the two main points you're missing are battery life and portability.

I now have a device with a fraction of my laptop's weight that can entertain me most of the way to Asia, do email, presentations, skype with video, ssh, gotomeeting, etc. When you do two weeks wiith 8 cities in Asia with a briefcase and carryon (no checked bag) this is a big deal.

Lets have a moment of silence for my cousins ipad that his dog took and chewed into the screen.

Lets also have a moment of support for him having to wait two weeks to get an ipad 2

meh , when jobs leave sthe company will be back in the toliet. If you have apple stock i'd sell it before he dies.

Also a few anti trust cases are going to go foward against apple. So they might get butt hurt from a few goverments and consumer groups

meh , when jobs leave sthe company will be back in the toliet. If you have apple stock i'd sell it before he dies.

Also a few anti trust cases are going to go foward against apple. So they might get butt hurt from a few goverments and consumer groups

That always happens when you're the top dog...

Back