Intel "Coffee Lake" (2017/2018, 14 nm)

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by iMacmatician, Jul 21, 2016.

1. pharma

Veteran Regular

Intel Core i7-8700K overclocked to 7.4GHz for SuperPi 32M record
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/119765-intel-core-i7-8700k-overclocked-74ghz-superpi-32m-record/

Lightman likes this.
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Coffee Lake R is out, Core i5-9600K, i7-9700K and i9-9900K. They include same Meltdown & L1TF fixes as Whiskey Lakes released couple months ago.

Also, for whatever reason Intel decided to employ "3rd party" called Principled Technologies to run benchmarks early and referenced to those results in their launch press release.
    Only thing is, the tests are completely bogus:
    - Ryzen 7 2700X run in "Gaming Mode" meant for Threadrippers. Works the same way too, it makes 8-core 2700X a 4-core CPU.
    - XMP profiles used on Intel but not on AMD (for which they make a bigger influence, too)
    - Core i7-8700K results are higher than they should be at claimed settings, they match more or less DDR4-3200 XMP results instead of the claimed DDR4-2666 XMP

Obviously media can't confirm that Core i9-9900K wouldn't be as fast as claimed since NDA isn't lifted for a little over a week or so, but when the other results are bogus it makes you doubt those too

Hardware Unboxed who raised the issues up: https://www.patreon.com/posts/21950120
    GamersNexus on same thing:

Lightman, BRiT and Malo like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Talk about totally fucking up the tests producing entirely bogus results while stacking the playfield to be as uneven as possible … the AMD systems used the included retail AMD coolers while the Intel systems used Noctua high-end coolers shoved into a case with not great cooling dynamics.

4. Pressure

Veteran Regular

I'm surprised they didn't include the 1600 Watt water chiller this time ...

BRiT and Lightman like this.
  5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Looks like the third party should be called Unprincipled Technologies.

AlBran, Laurent06 and Lightman like this.