Inquirererer: ATi is teh Half-life2 benchy winnar!

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=20849

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njky

Quote of the day.

http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=490819&postcount=14

"Hey if you can find a review in which a 6800GT is beating any X800 card with this game then you can assuredly say they are nvidia biased because it wont happen. this game is suited to ATi hardware as ATI hardware has superior DX9 shader performance."

Guess Zardon/DH hasn't seen either w2s news item or H's benchies. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Driver heaven's.net is even more ATI biased then B3d ;)

I have both cards and the 6800U has proven to be a worthy contender, but sometimes it looks like some haven't forgiven nV the 5xxx-story...

edit added the ;) but I still think the 6800's should get a bit more credit sometimes.

B3d aint that biased, driver heaven is just an ATI site now so it isn't surprising. I expect the same from them as rage3d.

P.S. Digi you are making me chuckle b/c you remind me of the neocons reading what you want and denying anything that doesn't agree with your world view of ATI dominance. Just a bit or irony...except you freely admit you are biased, but the funny part is the seeking out of sources of information to affirm your bias, like listening to Rush limbaugh

Xmas said:
[H] benches BFG OC cards, i.e. a GT @ 370/500 and Ultra @ 425/550.
I honestly missed that when reading their numbers. Seems more than a little curious that they'd bench OC'ed GF6s, when they could've easily downclocked to stock speeds (and included a plain X800XT, too).

I don't see that noted anywhere in [H]'s article--rather sneaky, that.

dan2097 said:
The PCI-E system had a far faster cpu which explains that difference.
Duh :oops:

Pete said:
Xmas said:
[H] benches BFG OC cards, i.e. a GT @ 370/500 and Ultra @ 425/550.
I honestly missed that when reading their numbers. Seems more than a little curious that they'd bench OC'ed GF6s, when they could've easily downclocked to stock speeds (and included a plain X800XT, too).

I don't see that noted anywhere in [H]'s article--rather sneaky, that.
Technically, they are at stock speeds, because BFG sells them like that. But yes, I agree they should have mentioned the clock speeds somewhere.

Any seen the undated conclusion at [H]OCP?

Update: We have gone back and updated our pages with a couple of graphs that show Maximum IQ settings in terms of AA and AF. Without a doubt the ATI Radeon X800XT-PE did by the far the best job at delivering a playable gaming experience. Of course it is up to the end user to determine if turning these options on give you any tangible gaming returns, but without a doubt if you want to run "ultra high quality settings," the ATI Radeon X800XT-PE gives a much better return than NVIDIA's solution.

8x SSAA is faster than 6x SSAA on the 6800 Ultra? Weird. . .

Anyway, now that I think a bit more of these benchies, it would've been nice to also see the minimum and maximum framerates. :)

martrox said:
Any seen the undated conclusion at [H]OCP?

Update: We have gone back and updated our pages with a couple of graphs that show Maximum IQ settings in terms of AA and AF. Without a doubt the ATI Radeon X800XT-PE did by the far the best job at delivering a playable gaming experience. Of course it is up to the end user to determine if turning these options on give you any tangible gaming returns, but without a doubt if you want to run "ultra high quality settings," the ATI Radeon X800XT-PE gives a much better return than NVIDIA's solution.
That is, as long as you don't mind the alpha test fences ;)

8xS being faster than 6xS is obvious, because 8xS is 4xRGMS + 2x1 OGSS, while 6xS is 2xRGMS + 1.5x2 OGSS.

He's refering to the jaggies on chainlink fences. The edges of each wire don't get anti-aliased because they're not polygon edges, which is what MSAA covers. Instead they're the result of a transparency layer, which masks out the parts of a texture that are supposed to be transparent. The only FSAA that can take care of this is super-sampling (or some blur filter).

The fences are the exct reason I have been wanting to jumpback on an Nv card since the 6 series came out. Only the flashable vivo made me stray. I hate seeing terrible aliasing on alpa textures it is so apparent I cannot believe the crazy peeps who drone on and one about how wonderful ATI AA is. When I play morrowind every tree looked like crap (cause of the leaves). Anyway I wish ATI would at least allow it instead of disabling it so they can brag about theirs being bigger.

I must be doing something wrong, I specifically remember looking at a few chainlink fences in the game and thinking "that is how chainlink fences SHOULD look!" as I did so since they were beautifully rendered without any jaggies.

I gotta go check it...

Back