Indisputable proof PCs generate too much heat :-) :-)

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
Ok,
So I'm busy working today, finishing up my current project.
It uses Dell PCs with dual core cpus and x850s, so needless to say they get hot.

However,
it already had 4 180mil ? 100+ cfm fans, on top of the stock cooling.

Yet this is not enough apparently,

take a look at what just arrived today:

http://www.hungryspoon.com/IMG_1519_SM.jpg

:oops:

When I saw these, I simply burst out laughing. They are absolutely huge.
The sad thing is it actually *does* need them

They were approximately 35cm wide.

(that's not me btw)

:D :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant honestly believe those are really needed. Dual cores and X850s have been put in SFFs and been fine, and those fans are about the size of the whole damn thing!

Graham said:
and guess what,

today I had to underclock them....

Makes no sense, and very hard to believe. I'd say other issues than just cooling. What's all contained in the setup?

they are dell 9100 pcs.
so they are dual core P4s, with x850 xt pe's. Ie, hot,
The program that is running is fairly intense. lots of render target, shader and hdr stuff, using 95% of both c,ores and it's running up to 12 hours/day non-stop.

even with those insane extraction fans, every hour or so the ati drivers would pop up warning of overheating.

Extraction, as in you dont have anything pushing air into the systems? I still find it hard to believe it needs that much cooling.

Skrying said:
Makes no sense, and very hard to believe. I'd say other issues than just cooling. What's all contained in the setup?
Its a duel core P4 Intel that the problem. When at full load, it will kick out 300W of heat in a case with poor airflow (the type of case Dell use). The PSU in Dell are very low CFM so add the heat from the PSU to the case temps too.

put it this way, it managed to pop a 7 amp fuse running two of the PCs and 1 of the monitors. :D so yeah, about 400w probably, before the fans went in the ati control centre was reporting temps upto and above 80 degrees celcius

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the original designes factored in air flow and extraction, but only for the *monitor*. so some fairly significant modification was required

ohh, and a cookie for anyone who can work out what the hell it does :p

Looks like it's some sort of build your own spaceport learing game thing, in which case I have to wonder if the program takes into account proper ariflow in the spaceport. :D

Seriously though, those fans are clearly overkill. Even with the rather hot running CPUs I am sure you could get away with a whole lot less if a little effort was put into put into balancing circulation. This reminds me of a thread I saw a while back where some guy was complaining about his CPU temps couldn't understand why it got so hot when he had 8 fans on his case all trying to blow the hot air out.

There are other threads by people with the dell 9100s all over reporting that they are overheating. Dell is currently unloading them super cheap with a 24" LCD you can get it for $1200 with the 24" LCD so that is like $200-350 for the actual computer. They are basically giving them away b/c they suck.

However supposedly there is a new revision of the dual core that Dell is getting and that is why they are trying to dump their old inventory. If you want one though get it while its HOT heheh

Sxotty said:
There are other threads by people with the dell 9100s all over reporting that they are overheating. Dell is currently unloading them super cheap with a 24" LCD you can get it for $1200 with the 24" LCD so that is like $200-350 for the actual computer. They are basically giving them away b/c they suck.
That makes sense as those CPUs do run qutie hot and I have seen some very conservative cooling setups from Dell. However, if the problem is in the PC case itself, then adding those giant fans around it is just beating up the wrong bush.

Back