Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by vipa899, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milk

Veteran Regular

tensorcores are not raytracing. they are denoising.

Shortbread and Scott_Arm like this.
  2. Scott_Arm

Legend

Generations of consoles or gpus? I'm assuming decent resolution means 4k? I think you'll probably see games doing a good number of those things on Turing once developers have importance sampling and de-noising figured out. Besides that, there will be the usual investigations into optimizations for async, re-using data, combining ray shaders etc.

#282 Scott_Arm, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. turkey

Regular Newcomer

So BF5 is not using any of the custom hardware in the new Nvidia GPU as they are using their own denoise solution not Nvidias?

Interesting performance options at the end of the video with decoupling raterization resolution from raycasting resolution. That seems to make a lot of sense, and given most of what they worked on was prior to the new GPU I wonder how far they got with a 1080 say or even a top Vega if they used compute a lot.

4. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Gpu gens "hope" and yes 4k. It's a mammoth task to do all those and I certainly don't believe some software optimization could do the trick for short term gain. Yes there will be improvements but not nearly as drastic without raw hardware grunt.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

They switched to using the RT cores in Turing when they got the hardware but their de-noising is still done in shaders.

Shortbread and milk like this.
  6. Scott_Arm

Legend

They're not using the Tensor cores, but they are most definitely using the RT blocks. While details of the RT blocks is scarce to non-existent, I think if you are using the DXR API, the Nvidia driver basically makes use of the RT hardware for you. You don't have to explicitly do anything to use it.

7. milk

Veteran Regular

And I wouldn't be surprised if they, and most devs for the matter, never bother using nvidias proprietary tensors for demonising. I don't know how much more efficient they are to offset the trouble of moving away from the industry standard of that kind of task. Devs have been creating and perfecting shader/gpu-compute based screenspace denoisers for their games for more than a decade and they've been doing fine.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  8. Scott_Arm

Legend

Right now Battlefield 5 casts rays per pixel, which is what you do not want to do with ray tracing. Ray casting should be decoupled from output resolution, and ray casting should be based on importance. The general concept is to minimize the number of rays cast and then reconstruct a final display output. It was part of Morgan McGuire's talk where he references Matt Pharr's book on physically-based rendering.

Edit
    http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/si...man-morgan-mcguire-real-time-ray-tracing.html

Of course, I'm not talking about games being full path-tracers. They'll be hybrid raster + ray renderers.

OCASM, dobwal and ultragpu like this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Raysterising. ;)

JPT, damienw, trinibwoy and 8 others like this.
  10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Are we sure we need that many RT threads? It's a bit annoying, most messages could be posted in either of them.

What do you mods think? @Shifty Geezer, etc.

OCASM, dobwal, ToTTenTranz and 2 others like this.
  11. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Even Nvidia has different non AI based denoising techniques for shadow, AO and reflection. Supposedly, the AI based one requires more samples per pixel than their handcrafted ones.

Nvidia says the AI denoising in Optix 5.0 is derived from this paper.

https://research.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/publications/dnn_denoise_author.pdf

It seems every game is going to need to use an alternative denoiser to train the AI.

1000 reference frames per scene along with 10 noisy frames per reference frame on a smooth camera pass.

I wonder if this method allows for some tricks to improve image quality. Can you use more samples per pixel and/or an offline denosier that provides better quality but is not performant for real-time to produce reference frames? And then provide the AI the noisy frames from your real-time solution?

#291 dobwal, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  12. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Pukes on self. That sounds like a second rate rasterization method created by someone with “Ray” as a first or last name and markets like a stereotypical used car salesmen.

13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Agreed. It makes gathering all the little nuggets of relevant and enlightening information posted here a somewhat tedious exercise.

eloyc likes this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Which is why people need to self-moderate.

If you're posting RayTracing but nothing that would impact Consoles, then it shouldn't be in this thread.

15. damienw

Regular

SO to me it looks like we will have some RT in the next gen consoles at launch, maybe for stuff like the reflections in BF5. But the midgen refresh PS4 Pro is when the heavy hitters will show up with a more mature and efficient solution.

16. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

Can we please stop calling it AI. It is artificial, yes but has nothing to do with intelligence. This AI is more or less "just a simple" best-match solution based on parameters that are provided by the driver etc. Everything today must be called AI and yet nothing has to do anything with that.

back to topic:
    If we use 4k and half RT resolution, would that still work? E.g. SSR are half res most time, so there should be no difference in clarity.

JPT likes this.
  17. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Though 'AI' is a term bandied about willy-nilly, similar to 'nano' and other silly tech buzz-words, machine learning to produce datasets is still an application of AI.

pharma likes this.
  19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

AI is perfectly fine to use for these contexts IMO, it's specific task-based complex solvers with vast arrays of parameters and learning adaptive. What was originally conceived as "AI" in terms of machine learning itself to solve general problems and evolve is usually termed as AGI (Artificial General Intelligence). At least that's my understanding.

pharma likes this.
  20. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

milk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.