IMG PowerVR RTX - what is it?

well they have said that ultimately their goal is to have openrl used in games, so im gonna wait impatiently and see.

The talk about img aiming raytracing at the low end (smartphones, gps displays ect) I was under the impression raytracing needs a massive amount of horesepower so how is this possible ?

Raytracing doesn't need so much processing power as memory power. The old SAARCor raytracing processor was achieving amazing performance from a 50 MHz part or whatever it was. The problem comes with testing every object for each ray calculation, and doing repeatedly for several iterations. Shading of each pixel requires the same level of processing power as usual. I expect true reflections/refractions to add extra burden on texture consumption too. A convex reflective surface will take in a wider view and hence more surfaces meaning more textures being sampled.

Memory burden depends on the technique. As with everything else: there are RT methods trading memory requirements for power and vice versa. Don't know what Caustic are doing though and whether their hardware does some tricks to work around the memory requirements for the memory-heavy techniques or optimizes computations in a way that makes it possible to trace efficiently with computation-heavy techniques on a modest hardware.

I understand space partitioning has improved object searches over the old brute-force method, but is there any solution for the random memory access patterns of searching for ray hits? If a ray is cast in a direction, the only way to know if its hit an object, and where on that object, is to read the object coordinates and test them all. I don't see how that can be calculated without memory accessing of the order of number of objects in the scene.

All the primitives in the lowest level bounding volumes crossed have to be tested obviously, but with breadth first raytracing you can amortize the cost across the rays ... even without the coherence of primary/shadow rays (basically you don't finish rays packets one at a time, you buffer the rays at a given level of the hierarchy and resort them into new ray packets during tracing .... creating some coherence out of chaos).

I understand space partitioning has improved object searches over the old brute-force method, but is there any solution for the random memory access patterns of searching for ray hits? If a ray is cast in a direction, the only way to know if its hit an object, and where on that object, is to read the object coordinates and test them all. I don't see how that can be calculated without memory accessing of the order of number of objects in the scene.

By using anyone of the many acceleration structures known (i.e. BVH, QBVH, Kd-tree, etc.), the complexity is O(log number_of_primitives), not O(number_of_primitives).

This has been, in the past, one of the argument to promote ray tracing over classic rasterization (i.e. DirectX/OpenGL-like rendering).

However, the visit of the acceleration structure (usually some kind of tree) leads to very scattered memory accesses after few nodes and this seems the major problema the moment.

What are the chances that this chip shall make it's way inside the rumored 2013 Apple console?

Apple always revolutionizes a field when it enters it, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

That, and they own a sizable chunk of the company.

Apple always revolutionizes a field when it enters it
No they don't. They have upset market positions in two markets they entered recently ... but they did it with polish, not revolution. Sony up till recently was the revolutionary in the console market, but given how PS3 turned out that's unlikely to continue.
However, the visit of the acceleration structure (usually some kind of tree) leads to very scattered memory accesses after few nodes and this seems the major problema the moment.
As I said, breadth first raytracing solves this to an extent.

No they don't. They have upset market positions in two markets they entered recently ... but they did it with polish, not revolution. Sony up till recently was the revolutionary in the console market, but given how PS3 turned out that's unlikely to continue.

As I said, breadth first raytracing solves this to an extent.

Actually Sony was doing pretty much same as Apple, polish etc, not revolutionizing anything. Nintendo is the one you want to look for "revolutions" in console field (first d-pad, first shoulder buttons, first analog stick on a pad, wiimote at least come to mind)

Back