Imagination Technologies up for sale [2017]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by tangey, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I think MT6739 is a direct replacement for MT6735/MT6737, not MT6738 (which supports 1080p displays and LTE Cat6, while the MT6739 is 720p/Cat5 - of course MT6739 might still end up cannibalising MT6738 sales). I'm currently using a Cubot Dinosaur with the MT6735 as my travel phone (dual-SIM, massive battery life, etc.) so I'm actually looking forward to buying a similar device using the MT6739! At 720p, GE8100 is *more* than enough for 60FPS on Android 8.0 UI and all common casual games.

It will be a nice memorandum of my time at Imagination/PowerVR... :) My last day was last friday, but there's still a lot of great people and exciting technology! I'm confident they'll be very successful so long as they can retain enough of their key engineers... It's an open question whether the new owners will be able to improve financial compensastion (and morale) enough to do so. I hope they will.

Kej, roninja, kalelovil and 1 other person like this.
  2. bdmosky

Newcomer

Do you know where you are headed next?

3. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Et tu, Brute? :(

CarstenS and roninja like this.
  4. tangey

Veteran

How times have changed. According to the article, being investigated by MPs over concerns its IP could be used to finetune backdoors in key infrastructure by the chinese governement. IMG's parent company is now registered in the cayman islands (thats always a good sign !), eliminating US oversight that was central to the UK government allowing the sale at the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52275201

5. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

6. pharma

Veteran Regular

Is IPO in China Imagination’s Only Possible Exit Path?
    April 5, 2020

https://www.eetimes.com/is-ipo-in-china-imaginations-only-possible-exit-path/#

7. ^M^

^M^
    Newcomer

> Meanwhile, the CEO needed to look at ways of re-inventing the company and was probably pursuing significant additional investment to develop new RISC-V products.

So twenty years after Super H they're back working on RISC core.
    Imagination seems to still not know what they are.

8. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I guess they have some demands if they're working on it ?