I'm having serious trouble adding

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I think my biggest problem isn't calculus or anything but simple addition, multiplication and division.

I'm having some serious issues when it comes to adding things.

1-x^2 + 2x^2

= 1 - (2x^2 - x^2)
= 1 - 2

How can this NOT be right?

AFAIK 2x - 2x^2 = -x

x^2 + 2x^2 = 3x^2?

Sorry.

-x^2 + 2x^2 = 2x^2 - x^2 = 2 - 1 = x^2
1 + x^2?

Thanks.
Can someone give me examples of more advanced algebra?

Dersaidin said:
1-x^2 + 2x^2

I'll write that differently

1-(x^2) + 2(x^2)
1-1(x^2) + 2(x^2)
1 + (x^2)
1 + x^2

I've been doing first order ODE and I keep getting similar results as the answer sheet states.

The thing is, only 4/40 of my answers are an exact match to the answer sheet's results.
The rest are off by a few numbers.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Can someone give me examples of more advanced algebra?

How about Schrodinger's equation? :p

But seriously, how about pulling out a question from your textbook that you think you'd have trouble solving? Thinking up math questions was never part of our (at least my) curriculum, only solving. :D

And you're only dealing with first order, right?

Ah, so you've gotten to the "guessing" of solutions with sine/cosine/exponential?

On remembering how to solve... I guess it just depends on what other courses you're taking (if they use them at all). I've certainly forgotten how to do those infinite sums for solving DE's for example. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ILATE

Inverse.
Log.
Arithmatic.
Trig.
Exponent.

Alstrong said:
Ah, so you've gotten to the "guessing" of solutions with sine/cosine/exponential?

On remembering how to solve... I guess it just depends on what other courses you're taking (if they use them at all). I've certainly forgotten how to do those infinite sums for solving DE's for example. :p

Back