icuiti?

OLED's can be produced MUCH more cheaply than LCD's. replacing them every year or two doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me. Actually, it sounds like a good thing because then it's cost offective to get the latest and greatest every year or two. Also, it helps fuel the display industry because there are a lot more people buying them. That means they can spend more money on research to build even better displays. They just have to reach a point where price and longevity are well-balanced.

Of course, you may be one of those people who will use the same tissue paper for a week and, in that case, you'll probably want to stick with CRT's.

Plus afaik OLED can be used for flexible screens, whereas LCDs very much cannot! I would love to have a rollup screen in like pen dealy, and TV wallpaper would be awesome! lol

yeah, afaik its theoretically possible to print an oled screen with like an inkjet printer. how cool would that be? Newspapers could be a small controller chip and wireless reciever, maybe a few small pressure-sensative buttons for moving to the story you want to read, scrolling, etc.

DudeMiester said:
Plus afaik OLED can be used for flexible screens, whereas LCDs very much cannot! I would love to have a rollup screen in like pen dealy, and TV wallpaper would be awesome! lol

Also very useful for laptops.

hiostu said:
I personally hate the fact that TFT's (and OLED probably as well) have native resolutions. That is the reason why I still don't have a TFT for my home pc (only for my development laptops).
CRTs have native resolution, too, and they interpolate as well (though it's no digital interpolation). In fact, with a CRT you usually can't even hit the native resolution precisely, you always have interpolation. Which is why CRTs can't even come close to a TFT's sharpness, and a high-res TFT with good interpolation still beats a CRT.

Another nice thing about OLEDs is that they can be stacked instead of having to be side-by-side RGB triplets.
I wonder whether you could use multiple layers of blue to prolong the lifetime of such a display.

btw, the "lifetime" (down to 50% brightness) of a CRT isn't that great either, I found quotes of about 12,000 to 15,000 hours on average.

I think i read somewhere that the blue part now has a lifetime of about 10 000 hours. White = 20 000 and R-G 40 000 hours. Consider the lifetime of a CRT that Xmas mentioned and Oled suddenly becomes much more interesting.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

In October 2004 Cambridge Display Technology announced a blue OLED with a lifetime of 30,000 hours.

oh yeah, and as for sharpness- should it not be that factors of the native resolution would be just as sharp? whereas my LCD is 1280x1024, 640x512 would work? Or, alternatively, if you're doing something like 1280x926 then just use the native res but with blank strips at the top and bottom?

Back