I wan't to upgrade my Tablet, concerned with SSD and Mainboard

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Hello,

My tablet use Samsung PM blahblah SSD that is doomed by the data bug. Basically the speed is now so slow, it will pause for seconds (and sometime Minutes!) when copying files.

• What is the cutoff date for "safe" SSD? I'm considering to get 256GB or 512GB msata samsung blahblablah. But not sure which ones are affected by the bugs which ones are not.
  • Is there any proper consumer msata SSD? i only found OEMs. And OEMs usually did not get any firmware updates (case in point, my samsung msata SSD that dying due to the bug).
  • Is there any chance for compatibility issue with the motherboard? (size doesn't fit, bios refuse to detect, etc)

• thank you.

You might want to give some more info on that bug because googling samsung data bug only gives me results for a trim error (which Samsung patched) and maybe some issue with the 840 series.

- What do you mean by safe cutoff date?
- All the usual suspects are making msata sticks. Crucial, Samsung etc. I assume all of them are releasing firmware updates if necessary the same way they do with normal ssd's.
- You'll have to look up the specs of your device. There are different msata sizes so you obviously should get one that is the correct size. The manufacturer of your device probably also has a comparability list somewhere.

You might want to give some more info on that bug because googling samsung data bug only gives me results for a trim error (which Samsung patched) and maybe some issue with the 840 series.

- What do you mean by safe cutoff date?
- All the usual suspects are making msata sticks. Crucial, Samsung etc. I assume all of them are releasing firmware updates if necessary the same way they do with normal ssd's.

yeah its the 840 series https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...sd-840-read-performance-degradation-explained

unfortunately samsung only release FW update for retail unit. OEM firmware update was released only for a few minutes, then taken down, and nobody reupload it :(

the cutoff... i mean the safe date. something like.. "ssd after jan 2016 should be okay".

uh.. i guess the distributors in my countries gone cheap. only can found OEM msata ssd here :(

Back