I-Phone SDK

I don't mean to spam this thread with every update to the SDK, but the latest one supports OpenGL ES in the Aspen Simulator, which is pretty significant.

I don't mean to spam this thread with every update to the SDK, but the latest one supports OpenGL ES in the Aspen Simulator, which is pretty significant.

Is it blowing your mind? I wish my mind could be blown by the SDK, but I don't have a Mac.

yay for gl es emulation.

btw, i'm not sure if it would be ok to copy/past segments of the programming guide here, so i'll just say that

iPhone OS Programming Guide -> Drawing with OpenGL ES -> Simulator Capabilities : [important notice]

contains some interesting info. not that in general the gl es section is not very interesting : )

*shrug* i would not know, i'm still at the stage of 'shall i try to install leopard on my pc, or shall i bite the current mini bullet'. my G4 mini has been a true soldier, and i'd hate to replace it just for some SDK, even if that's the SDK i've been waiting for the past 5 years.

Is it blowing your mind? I wish my mind could be blown by the SDK, but I don't have a Mac.

What's the appeal, the technology or the imagined business opportunity?

How is it possible to have waited for the iPhone SDK for 5 years when the product hasn't been out 1 year?

for me it's both.

How is it possible to have waited for the iPhone SDK for 5 years when the product hasn't been out 1 year?
your read was too verbatim, apparently i did not wait for the iphone sdk for that long (how could i?), i was waiting for a mobile development platform ala iphone. the release of the sdk was just the metaphorical conclusion of that wait.

For me it's just something to mess around with. I can think of some cool little applications I'd write for myself, but mostly just to mess around with.

I need a record collection database that's portable, so I know what I have when I go record shopping ;)

Well of course Apple wants you to buy music from iTunes.

Isn't the iPhone suppose to let you download music directly to the iPhone or sideload to a computer?

Or maybe that's only at Starbucks or whatever and only through Wifi.

EDIT: BTW, it doesn't sound trivial, if you're not used to Objective C and the NS environment.

Here's a guy who's trying to put something together, getting some feedback from experienced Mac OS X developers.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/863005881931

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not interested in buying music from iTunes. I still collect albums. I just want to write a little database where I can keep track of all the LPs, CDs I own that I can carry around with me. That way if I'm shopping through used records I may not accidentally pick up something I already own.

I've never done any Mac development, so it's kind of interesting in that regard as well. Just to use something new and see how it all works.

I'm interested in iPhone SDK too but since I have only an old PPC based Mac running Tiger, I can't run it. And I don't intend to buy a new Mac just for iPhone SDK, at least not before iPhone is officially available in Taiwan (if ever).

Back