I-Phone SDK

silhouette

Regular
The press conf about the the SDK is blogged at engadget

Open GL ES is part of the SDK. In fact, EA and Sega shows two games they developed in two weeks. (EA's is a cartoony version of Spore).

The distribution model also overrides the carrier factor. They will distribute the software through I-tunes (70% goes to developer, 30% to Apple). The Iphone emulator on Mac looks great btw.

I have to say the SDK and update will be HUGE for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

My problem is, how do you develop iPhone apps without a Mac? Seems like Xcode is the only environment. It would be nice if you could develop apps from a Windows environment.

Damn.
This seems good.
Standard APIs, nice environment, distribution model in place, 70% straight to developers (!), funding pool of $100.000.000, $99 entrance fee...

I'm in the wrong business. :)

Damn.
This seems good.
Standard APIs, nice environment, distribution model in place, 70% straight to developers (!), funding pool of $100.000.000, $99 entrance fee...

I'm really pissed that I don't own a Mac right now. I'd love to play with this SDK.

Damn.
This seems good.

And the entrance fee is only necessary if you want to put your stuff on AppStore. You can get the SDK free if you're developing stuff for yourself.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

I'm not sure of the difference between the standard $99 and the enterprise $300.

I've been trying to get my SDK since the event, but Apple's developer servers are totally dead. Demand must have been pent up.

I've been trying to get my SDK since the event, but Apple's developer servers are totally dead. Demand must have been pent up.

I can think of so many different ways I could use it at work, but since it's not available in Canada, no such luck.

The touch screen would lend itself to some really really handy things to help me with my job.

Spore confirmed for iphone in september. I can't wait to see where this is going to go. This looks to be a great year for gaming development with ipod and xna opening up the market.

Well I got the SDK this morning... Big.. Basically updates Xcode from 3.0 to 3.1, adds GCC 4.2 (and LLVM-GCC-4.2 as well!) and Xcode support for other platforms (e.g. hypthetical Apple IIGS). No new Interface Builder though 'till June.

Damn.
While the Aspen Simulator's pretty fun for someone who doesn't have a physical iPhone, it doesn't support OpenGL ES. You need to connect a real device to do 3D development.

Does it look like it would be possible to use a bluetooth input device like a barcode scanner with the iPhone or iPod Touch?

No references to accessing bluetooth... There's just the regular network stack (which goes through WiFi and EDGE).

Keep in mind the SDK is still pretty beta... During the keynote they showed off using Interface Builder, but the current SDK doesn't include IB support yet. More stuff may become available as time goes on...

And the entrance fee is only necessary if you want to put your stuff on AppStore. You can get the SDK free if you're developing stuff for yourself.

rumor is that you need a valid certificate to put anything on an actual device (not the emu), regardless of whether you want to put products on itunes or not. IOW, no certificate = emu only.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

I'm not sure of the difference between the standard $99 and the enterprise $300.

i believe the enterprise gives you a virtual private itunes (VPiT : ) for developers doing corporate apps - i.e. such which are not planned to be sold to the general public but should be distributed within an organization.

rumor is that you need a valid certificate to put anything on an actual device (not the emu), regardless of whether you want to put products on itunes or not. IOW, no certificate = emu only.

It's no rumor, it's fact...

i believe the enterprise gives you a virtual private itunes (VPiT : ) for developers doing corporate apps - i.e. such which are not planned to be sold to the general public but should be distributed within an organization.

You also get the beta of the 2.0 firmware that supports Exchange, Active Sync, Cisco, etc...

It's no rumor, it's fact...

*shrug* i would not know, i'm still at the stage of 'shall i try to install leopard on my pc, or shall i bite the current mini bullet'. my G4 mini has been a true soldier, and i'd hate to replace it just for some SDK, even if that's the SDK i've been waiting for the past 5 years.

You also get the beta of the 2.0 firmware that supports Exchange, Active Sync, Cisco, etc...

that's what i hear too, but isn't fw 2.0 actually required if you want to speak to the hw at all? i.e. the non-enterprise devs will eventually need it too.

. IOW, no certificate = emu only.

WTF? That is retarded beyond belief! How are you supposed to develop anything nice if you can't run it on actual hardware? No matter how good the emulator is, there is no substitute for testing on the real device (controls, LCD latency, size of pixels etc. etc.)

-edit- Or is the certificate thing open to everyone as long as you pony up $99? Or what else is needed to be 'certified'? -edit-

Or is the certificate thing open to everyone as long as you pony up $99?

Yes, that is supposedly the case (though I can't be sure without being selected for the beta program.)

Some are also saying that using your iPhone as a development/debug device puts it in a state that prevent regular usage in some ways. Not sure if that's true.

Back