I need your Boot Disk, your CPU, your Ram, and your Motherboard!

Noisy is relative, if you replace all your fans with noctuas, suspend your HD and put a Accelero S1 on your video card the 80mm fan in your PSU will become quite loud :)

The wattage of the Antec PSU is deceptive, because it's dual rail vs. Corsair's single rail. You won't generally be pulling a balanced load on the rails, so you will run into problems long before you hit the max wattage on the Antec (some of the higher end Corsair's are also multirail in name, but they simply couple the rails when you pull too much power from one). I'd bet that most of the time the VX450W can service heavier loaded systems than the Antec EA500.

For a couple tenners more you can get the Corsair VX550W.

That PSU can do loads of 500 watts easy. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article684-page4.html

It's a review of the 430 watt version, but there are no major differences between the 500 and 430 versions, AFAIK.

It's a very good PSU, and will give him plenty of headroom.

With balanced loading of the rails (the test you linked I mean).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at this PSU, Corsair 650W. You never want to max out your PSU and want to keep you max load under 80% of your PSU max wattage rating. This 650 will do this with the specs you listed and the Corsair PSU are very good too. I had too many Antecs go bad on me and others too. They like to use cheap capasators on the secondary filtering side. Just look out the brand name Fuhiyyu and see how bad they are because Antec uses them.

I actually switched out the 450 out for the 650(corsair) after reading the reviews about how the new nividia cards (T80x?) eats up so much power on newegg. I just took it as a hint as to get more power now and not cry later.

This coming friday I pulling the trigger and ordering everything finally.

I have a Corsair VX550 running the following:
Wolfy E8400 @ 4GHz (8x500) @ 1.45V (as read in Windows) + Xigmatek S1283 push/pull config (100 CFM 120mm fan + 80 CFM 120mm fan)
8800 GT @ 700/1688/1980 + TT DuOrb
4GB Geil DDR2-1000 (@ 1000) + OCZ memory cooler
6x 120mm case fans
Maxtor 250GB SATA HDD
DVD-RW
SB Live (yes, the old one - hey, at least it does EAX/EAX2)

Running FAH 24x7, both SMP and GPU clients.

Power issues are none. This thing's solid as a rock.

Back