I need to get a 1200w+ PSU...

Is it on the video card or motherboard. I've never had a slow switch on any of my gear, well expect the turbo button on some old 386 :)

edit: I'm glad you got it running in the end :)

Last edited:
Is it on the video card or motherboard. I've never had a slow switch on any of my gear, well expect the turbo button on some old 386 :)

edit: I'm glad you got it running in the end :)
The motherboard, and Asus Crosshair Formula Z. A really nice mobo, has more bells/whistles than I can count; but one of them was the slow switch and I REALLY should have read the manual. :oops:

GWR1n.jpg

On the far right, just above that LED readout.

Grats, hehe! Epic story you created, very happy for you. :) Good luck in the future with your updated FrankenPC!
Her name is still Bubbles, she's the same PC I've had since I built her back in 2000. (Well, she's been upgraded a few times... ;) )

I'm just so glad it's all working! I still really should pick up a beefier PSU, but she's running much better than I ever hoped or dreamed she could so I ain't complaining.

More later, this is still a work in progress. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! :)

Go with Superflower. Although they make PSUs for other people, these are often done under limitations of cost/components set by the rebadger. For their own PSUs, Superflower pull out all the stops and make the best they can. They are just very high quality products, and worth spending a little more for.

I really enjoyed your little story, especially the part about the slow switch: or how to make the lives or real users harder just to cater to LN2 overclockers, i.e. people who don't actually use their machines but instead try to break them in creative ways.

Anyhow, I thought I should point out that you don't need 1300W: your CPU can draw up to 220W and your graphics card, 550W. Those are certainly very high values, but they "only" add up 770W in the unlikely event that both components are fully loaded. The rest of the machine might require an additional 30~60W, depending on how many hard drives you have, but your 850W PSU should suffice.

His PC even with the >9000 CPU and 295x2 probably only draws 650W under a typical gaming load, 700W worst case. You could probably go higher than that running some sort of CPU+GPU power virus, but why? And even then you wouldn't break 800W which that PSU can handle just fine.

The Corsair 850W unit is absolutely perfect for this build IMO. Purchasing a higher wattage PSU would be a bit silly.

I've been running it with the Corsair 850w just fine since I've got it all working, I'm actually thinking of getting a mouse/keyboard before a new PSU now! :D

I was watching some streaming video suddenly the fan got very loud for about 20 seconds this pattern seemed to repeat about every five minutes
suddenly my psu went bang.
luckily I had a spare a coolermaster 450w the downside I bought it unboxed in a street market in Amsterdam for 2 euro's
There was no dust on it so it either worked or was dead from the factory. Anyway I replaced the psu switched the pc on and nothing :(
Then i realised maybe the fuse in the plug was dead so I replaced the mains cable and everything is now working.

I discussed this recently with someone working in a store who also realized that in practice very few non SLI systems go above 300w a lot, and 450w is good enough pretty much always. I found that my power was more limited by the amount of 6 and 8 pin power connectors. My 970 has one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector, but has a six-to-eight pin adaptor included. PCI gives 75w, and a six pin connector gives 75w as well, right? I only had one six-pin connector which I connected to the 8 pin connector and I used a different adaptor to connect two white convex? connectors to one six pin connector, so if I understand correctly the card has 225w at 24v? Can you measure if a card is power limited?

My 970 has one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector, but has a six-to-eight pin adaptor included. PCI gives 75w, and a six pin connector gives 75w as well, right? I only had one six-pin connector which I connected to the 8 pin connector and I used a different adaptor to connect two white convex? connectors to one six pin connector, so if I understand correctly the card has 225w at 24v? Can you measure if a card is power limited?

Your powersupply only has one 6 pin connection and no 8 pin at all? or are you missing cables? The 75W and 150W for the 6 and 8 pin connectors is just rated spec. The cables can easily transfer a lot more than that. I'm sure your card is not power limited. The two white connectors are called 4 pin molyx connectors and probably will work just fine, but it does sound a bit like a hack job to be honest haha. What powersupply is this BTW?

Good question. It came in this Medion PC I bought a while ago. The store I bought it from didn't seem to have a high opinion on the brand in retrospect ;) I had some weird memory issues, that are now thankfully completely gone since I upgraded memory to a new pair of Kingston 8GBs). I'll pop it open and have a look sometime this weekend.

Back