I need to get a 1200w+ PSU...

For that money you can buy a Seasonic Platinum 860 which is more efficient, and has a hybrid mode (silent under low loads). A brand name 700W PSU is more than enough for the components you mentioned there.

The best website to check PSU reviews was Hardware Secrets. Their reviews were really great, as they tested efficiency, ripple, temperatures, etc. on a very wide range of uses - even overload! They weren't afraid of burning their PSUs to see how much they could take.
Sadly, it seems the guy who used to do the reviews - Gabriel Torres - just stopped doing PSU reviews back in 2013.

Regardless, TPU says that PSU is fine.

That eVGA PSU is a SuperFlower under the hood. And SF are good, a top 2 manufacturer I'd say. It's just that it has (way) too much Wats for your needs, as far as we could rekon

You need ~1.21kW for internet time travel! When this baby hits 88 fps, you'll start to see some serious judder. :runaway:

For that money you can buy a Seasonic Platinum 860 which is more efficient, and has a hybrid mode (silent under low loads). A brand name 700W PSU is more than enough for the components you mentioned there.
No, no it isn't...I sort of know that for a fact. A Corsair tx850 is NOT enough to run it, that name brandy enough? :(

AI, I shall give you a manly shoulder punch for that pun...but it's powered by love, so it's a gonna hurt! :D

im curious with your PC, can it run Dying light at max at 4k at 120fps? (it seems the game hugely unoptimized for max setting)

And I think this is the best one I can get for the cheapest and still live with, a EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2 ATX12V/EPS12V 1300W 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1300-XR. Anyone know of anything better or any reason this one might suck? I need it for an FX 9590 and a 295x2.

As always, thank you in advance and apologies for my ignorance. :)

If you have the extra dough... get the EVGA 1600w Supernova P2. I love mine as you can see... amongst other things. ;)

Last edited:
Power rig much, jeeze! :oops:

If I had the extra dough I wouldn't be waiting to purchase the cheapest/decentest one I could find. :(

And Jawed? I think I'm luckier than most in that department. We have a 200a service in our house on split mains. (Bad for networking through the electrical, but good for this type of thing. :) )

Oh, did I forget to mention that I found out my problem? I found out my problem, the "slow switch" was set to "on".

I wish to the gods that I was kidding, but it's the truth. It went a bit sideways from there too...

Repost from EB about my saga:

So a brief update...

I was going more than a bit nuts trying to figure out why my newly upgraded top-o-the-line system ran like a dog, I just couldn't nail down the problem! I ended up deciding it was the PSU and throwing a 955 in to lessen the power load and hopefully make it better...but it still sucked.

Fast forward a week or two, (with lots of fruitless and aggravating trouble-shooting/diagnosing), and I'm chatting with my good buddy AIStrong and he asks me "what is your slow switch set to?".

:|

"Slow switch"? Surely there isn't such a...

...yes there was. A little dip switch labelled "Slow", and it was on.

:|

Powered off, set the "slow switch" to off, rebooted, and the system was zippy quick! Much facepalming, but mainly happy that I'd found the problem...even if that problem was me being a moron and not reading the f-ing manual first! (Yes, I felt the irony) Was really happy, powered down and pulled the 955 to toss the 9590 in; and it wouldn't fit. Pull it out, look at the pins and there are just some bloody mangled ones! No clue how it happened, I'd thought I'd been careful as hell! (Honest, I usually am with the expensive bits) Bent to fuck, nothing to do but straighten 'em out. Not fun, but not impossible.

-snap!-

FUCK!

-snap!- -snap!-

F U C K ! !

-snap!- -snap!-

fuck. :(

5 broken pins. Got 'em all straight, but 5 snapped off. I was heartbroken, I'd been given a huge gift/opportunity and I'd gone and f-d it up. Felt sorry for myself, gave up, and fell in to a funk for a few days.

Then I got tired of being in a funk and giving up, so I did some googling on what to do for broken pins. Found some people recommending jamming a bit of ethernet wiring into the missing pin hole and fudging it that way, but then saw a viddy of a guy pulling some pins off an old CPU and using those in the holes. That seemed more sensible to me, muchly so!

So I dug an old 3500 out of the basement and tossed it in the oven at 420f for 20 minutes and pulled a bunch of pins out with a pair of tweezers and an oven mitt. Sat down and gave myself a serious headache looking and counting pins on the 9590 to chart out which ones were missing, got an even worse headache counting out and charting it on the socket after pulling the 955 and then nearly went nuts trying to manipulate pins that were too small for me to see into the correct holes with a pair of tweezers that felt HUUUGE! Finally got 'em all in, got the 9590 ready to drop in, (should mention that I had put her in the socket first to make sure I'd gotten the straightening right), and noticed I'd oriented myself the wrong way on the socket and had to pull all the pins and redo the whole county/pin-in-thingy. <sigh>

Finally managed to put all the pins in and get it right, hook everything back up, rig up my extry molex to 4-prong 12v CPU adapter I'd made, prayed to various computing gods, and fired her up.

AND SHE BOOTED!!! SHE FREAKING, GLORIOUSLY BOOTED!!!

She seems pretty stable, surprisingly so considering I'm still using a Corsair tx850 in a system needing 1200w. I fired up GTA IV real quick and was playing with everything pretty maxed at 3200x1800 and the fps never dipped below 53. :D

I LOVERS IT!!! IT WORKED!!! SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

This upgrade has truly been a long, strange trip...but the destination is that much sweeter for the troubled journey. She's in no way completed, but man what a great step and I can't wait to finally see what AMD's fastest processor paired with the world's fastest graphics card can do!!!

Thank you again AMD, thank you so very much for all the joy you've given me over the years/decades now. Your hardware has become a part of my personal journey/history; and I find that slightly weird but very, VERY enjoyable! Big love, I can't wait to see what you come up with next! (Oh, and also to play with freesync...but I think Imma gonna get a new PSU before a new monitor! ;) )

TL/DR: Dig got new toy, Dig broke new toy, Dig fixed new toy, Dig is happy dancing.

What's a slow switch?

A switch that invokes slow mode. Literally.

Its supposedly meant for overclocking when on extreme cooling like LN2. It bo I ts the system in slow setttings and lets more of the settings be controlled via an overclocking application.

Back