I need some new speakers...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
..for my wife's PC. Her Altec-Lansing IBM345s are finally starting to go, and it's time to replace them.

Problem; with what?

I was looking at some used Klipsch Promedia 2.1's for about $130 shipped, but then started looking at a new set of Logitech Z-2300s for about $109 shipped. Then I got all unxious thinking that was overkill and started looking at the Altec-Lansing VS4121 for about $65 shipped....

...now my head hurts and I'm all confuzled. Someone yell at me please.

My budget is right around $100 with flexibility, but lower is better. Not looking for professional level monitors, but something nice to watch shit with and play some games....also looking for something with enough power to crank up the jams so we can hear it a few rooms away from the PC. Any advice is appreciated.

I have the Altec Lansing 4121s and they're perfectly fine for movies and games in the kitchen/dining area where that computer is. I would rate them above average for the price.

I don't know Digi, I think the Klipsch set might be worth investing into depending on your tastes.

The other setup I'd recommend is a pair of Swan M10 speakers. The Swan system is going to be a bit more crisp and clear but the sub (2.1 set) needs to be on the desk to get real bass impact and it might not be as present as the Klipsch set from outside the room. You can look at them here, also the M12 is on sale right now but I don't know as much about them.

With audio I tend to spend slightly more, just my nature and the desire for good sound. But taste dictates more than anything in audio gear.

I looked at the Swans, but their volume controls are on the subwoofer which won't work with my wife's setup.

Thanks for the 4121 recommend Mize, I do like Altec-Lansings. (I have the ADA885s.)

The Logitech seem good for listening at lower levels if the sub-crossover is 80Hz but the full range drivers will sound duller than tweeters when they're not pointed at you. The sub should give you good bass since it's got probably almost twice the cone area than the other sets.

These are fucking tempting me! Logitech Z Cinéma Advanced Surround Sound System for $116 shipped with a $50 rebate. (Price I gave is BEFORE rebate...)

I don't normally trust rebates, but this is from Amazon and through Logitech so I think it might actually mean I get the $50 back. :)

If you want good sound for little money, I'd recommend the Logitech X-540. The remote is wired btw. These speakers need some time to break in, but after that they sound really good. I've used them with games, movies, and music and they work well with all of them. They are pretty loud too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJM8XE

Last edited by a moderator:
This is slightly off topic, but after buying my Klipsch 4.1s back in 2000 I don't think I've ever been happier with audio output than I am with the Plantronic Gamecom 377s I picked up a month ago. Headsets, I know, thus the off topic, but these things are the best $45 I've spent on my PC in a long time. Talked a co-worker who plays LOTRO with me into buying them and he has the same reaction.

This is slightly off topic, but after buying my Klipsch 4.1s back in 2000 I don't think I've ever been happier with audio output than I am with the Plantronic Gamecom 377s I picked up a month ago. Headsets, I know, thus the off topic, but these things are the best $45 I've spent on my PC in a long time. Talked a co-worker who plays LOTRO with me into buying them and he has the same reaction.

Sounds like a good thing for Davros to drop some coin on...

they are pretty cool, but ive allready got a set of Plantronics Audio 370's - Open ear gaming headset

I place a lot on comfort, as I could be wearing them for upto 48 hours at a time, and these are comfy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back