Hrm -9000 Pro = 1/2 performance :(

ben6

Regular
Dunno what happened last night. But I do know that my 9000 Pro is getting around 1/2 the performance it was getting the day before . Last night , I was running some games and noticed a lot of slowdown that wasn't present before. I checked my settings, and on a whim ran Quake3. Strangely, where it was getting >160 fps in 1024x768 32bit max settings it's now getting ~106 fps FSAA is off, anisotropic filtering is off. default Catalyst 02.2 settings. I formatted ghosted and installed the 02.1 drivers on the installation CD and got the same results. Also ran 3dmark 2001 SE build 330 and got 4000 3DMarks where I was getting over 2x that before.

Strangely, I installed a AIW Radeon 8500 and installed the Catalyst 02.2 drivers with the new Control Panel and got exactly (within ~1fps so it's close enough) of what I expected.

So I'm thinking it's a card problem, since the same system works exactly as expected with a different card from the same manufacturer.

Verify AGP Texture Acceleration is enabled on the Dxdiag.exe under the display tab... for some reason it somtimes gets disabled which will hurt your performance by 50%.

Start--->run-->Dxdiag

AGP Texture acceleration is disabled and I can't enable it. That's probably the reason. Hrm

What is your system specs..

If a Via powered board..

Uninstall ATI drivers
Reboot
Install latest 4in1 drivers
Reboot
Install ATI drivers..

If Intel powered try the latest Intel chipset drivers

Catalyst also has a self diagnostic feature..Start-->Run-->atiprbxx.exe /g

I was going to say...I had the same problem when I yanked out my Ti4400 and replaced it with the Ti4200 Personal Cinema recently. I noticed that the overall performance was good, but it was definitely slower...

So, I simply reinstalled the P4 INF drivers (it's been a long, long time since I've used Intel @ home), and sure enough...The performance was where it should have been.

Strangely, AGP 2x mode is enabled only as well. I tried a Geforce4 MX460, a Ti4200 and a 8500 64MB in addition to the AIW Radeon 8500 128MB and all work with AGP Texturing and AGP 4x on my motherboard. It's very strange. All of my AGP cards work fine on this motherboard including 2 other cards from the same manufacturer.

Athlon 1800+ XP
nForce reference motherboard 1.05 UDP
onboard sound
256MB DDR2400 DDR memory running 133Mhz
AGP4x and texturing enabled in everything but 9000 Pro
60GB WD HDD 7200RPM
24x 10x 40x CDRW
12x DVDROM

Oh one other thing I should mention, it actually was working before . The scores were much higher.

Ben It has happened before to myself and Rage3D members, some have just reinstalled the chipset drivers, some just reinstalled the ATI drivers, some had to install the chipset drivers in safe mode or both chipset and ati drivers in safe mode..

Try some of those combos

There are two paths to AGP working properly that I know of:

Installing your chipset AGP driver and making sure it successfully replaces the ATi AGP driver, and configuring your system properly for it in the BIOS. This should work (and has for me, atleast under Windows ME), just as it would work for another card.

Installing a recent ATi driver, making sure NOT to install the chipset AGP driver afterwards, and making absolutely sure your AGP settings are set for stability. From this point, test using the agp probe program Doom mentioned, and see what you can enable for it. That utility is only for this case, atleast in my experience, since it works with ATi's own AGP driver which tests for stable operation upon installation.

I just think it may be important to make sure you are following one of these paths, not both.

Now, it seems to me that Windows XP system file protection and archiving might interfere with either of these processes, but since we are dealing with restored clean images, I assume this isn't an issue (i.e., there were no chipset drivers installed on the image, and no AGP driver was installed after installing the drivers).

Ben... If you haven't yet, try running the following from the Start>Run dialogue: "atiprbxx.exe /g" (assuming you're running some version of the catalyst drivers)

that will run the SmartGart program with the gui so you can see what ATI's drivers think your system can do, and what it thinks is stable.

Sometimes folks have all the options greyed out. I've not explored why that heppens in depth, but generally i've chalked it up to incorrectly installed, or old/wrong mobo drivers.

atiprbxx.exe /g
Testing with SmartGart

PCI Read Current On Requested On
PCI Write Current On Requested On
AGP Read Current OFF Requested Off
AGP Write Current On Requested On
Fast Write Current Off Requestd Off

AGP Speed 4x

When I set try to enable AGP Read, it doesn't work. The default AGP Speed on this system was 2x but 4x is enableable.

Test scores still in the low range I gave you earlier

Back