How powerful was the GameCube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGAddict

Banned
I've often heard that the GameCube was a powerhouse for its time, and I would be interested in finding out whether or not this is true. Could anyone tell me what kind of technology was inside it?

If you search the forum you will find some glorious threads about old consoles. You will even find comments from people who wrote games for them.

The Gamecube was more efficient than it was powerful. Nintendo did a really good job engineering it to be a nice machine that could put out nice results for its time. It didn't have the brute force power of the Xbox or even the PS2 in many cases, but more than made up for it with its ease of programming and well balanced design. It's basically the same hardware in the Wii, just at a lower speed and less memory. There's plenty of threads in the history of this forum you can peruse through to get an idea of how capable the system was for its time. As swaaye pointed out you should go ahead and do a search and have a wealth of information to go through.

I often felt that at least with 3rd party games, the Gamecube was held back buy it's proprietary 1.8GB mini discs which meant porting games was always a challenge (same with the N64 to some extent). It's as if Nintendo is purposefully giving the middle finger to 3rd party developers with it's esoteric system designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back