How much do you pay for internet access?

So it looks like our ISP is actually the only one that doesn't provide DSL below 1Mbps. :rolleyes: Which basically sucks as I'm to far for ADSL and stuck with ISDN. :cry:

We live wayyyy out in the middle of nowhere... the nearest town is about 9 miles away. Our nearest neighbor is about a mile away from us. I suffered for years with a dial-up connection that because of the phone line quality was only 26k just until recently.

Because the whole region around us is pretty rural and comprised of small towns dotted all over the map, our ISP just last year rolled out their fixed wireless internet access. Of course I jumped all over it, and so far it kicks ass for us. We're 9 miles as-the-crow-flies from the service antenna, and the results are consistently:

1.3 Mbps down
350 Kbps up
$59 / month

Best part is, we also use www.vonage.com for our telephone service, which saves me about $150/month in long distance bills since everyone my wife calls is long distance from us. Check out Vonage or Packet8 if you've got a reliable connection. You just hook a small transcoder box up to your router, and plug your phone system into the transcoder. Use your phones like normal and 95% of the time you wouldn't even know it's voice-over-IP... For $150/month savings, I'm willing to overlook the other 5% of the time.

-Chris

Back