How hard is it to emulate PS4,X1?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by deusex, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You mean Kickstart?, because that is the core OS (exec, dos, graphics, intuition). It originally came on disk, with nowt but a basic kickstart boot loader in ROM on early A1000s then was put into ROM. I upgraded a few machines whilst I had Amigas and it felt normal to remove and install a new ROM for significant Kickstart upgrades (1.2 to 1.3, 1.x to 2.04, 2.x to 3.0)

Wacky times.

the Destiny sales ratio is only a bit less than the

2. TheWretched

Regular

Oh yeah... Amiga 1000 had the kickrom or rather kickstart on disc. Completely forgot.

And yeah... Amiga Kickstart did in fact include way more than just BIOS. Sort of like the C64 before that, with the basic interpreter. Cool times indeed. Just start the computer and program away^^ integrated "ide" and "compiler" just like that.

But it's still a question of "what constitues an OS". Are the basic libraries already an OS? MSDOS would say yes, imho. Man... I gotta buy another Amiga for retros sake (sold my 1200, but still have my 500).

#22 TheWretched, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  3. Exophase

Veteran

Copyright law doesn't have anything at all to do with how current an emulation target is or how similar it is to a PC. It really doesn't matter. If the emulator doesn't distribute copyrighted material it's not breaking copyrights. Something that neither Bleem nor UltraHLE were doing, for example.

4. Akumajou

Regular

I understand however I thought I was basically saying it wasn't feasible in making all the effort because there is a bit of a difference now as opposed to pre-PS2 generation hardware.

That assumes the AMD APU hardware for consoles wasn't customized to prevent future outside emulator development or hacking. Just on clock speed alone and matching cores, just may not be enough.

AMD or even Intel have made different CPUs even if similar for different markets...surely the shared technology in current consoles does not equal the related PC parts just like xbox one and PS4 are somewhat distant cousins.

Then again I also don't want to assume that the engineering behind the development of these consoles basically had an "anti-emulators" agenda but resisting hackers goes hand in hand.

I find it interesting how there are GameCube and PS2 emulators (they took years and needed PC parts that were generations later) yet as mentioned there really isn't a comparable xbox 1 emulator despite how closer to PC parts that old console was compared to current Xbox one or PS4.

The xbox 1 and 360 were hacked but initially it was a somewhat popular encouraged challenge (if you remember) and later to just pirate and cheat on xbl...

I would imagine that despite any current hacking that Microsoft took steps and by relation so would Sony and Nintendo to add a layer of hardware that just increases the effort and complexity of making even a working emulator to boot at all.

I'm not saying it's hopeless but specially last generation's hacking and piracy horrors, you would think lessons were learned.

I would like to say it depends or that it's definitely possible but then these companies would have dropped the ball if there's working emulators too easily made or too soon.

Just to reiterate my feelings that there has to be interest to motivate the effort to make such emulators...even if there is, it may not be feasible even in the long run considering these emulators are hobbies.

5. xEx

xEx
    Veteran Newcomer

3 years later still waiting for a PS4 emulator... I though it would be easier since they are x86 and GCN but transparently the developers also though on that and make it very hard...

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Looking through this a bit, the next-gen AMD APUs, especially if they came with stacked RAM, would probably handle emulation just fine. A mini PC with full Steam, XB1/UWP and PS4 gaming...I wonder if console gamers could be convinced to switch, and what that'd do to the landscape?

8. TheWretched

Regular

9. Exophase

Veteran

You know it.