How do I maximize my power

Well I had a lot of resets with my system

AMD XP 1700+
ECS KTS5A (SiS 735 Chipset)
512MB PC2100
MSI Geforce4 ti4200 128MB
SB Live Value

and someone suggested my 300W PSU was not enough. Well I removed one of my case fans (which was plugged directly into the motherboard) and the reset problem went away.

Great right?? Well then I figured I'd try overclocking my Geforce4. ONly the restarts came back. So fine, I return the G4 speed back to normal, only the resets stayed.

I am now forced to downlock my CPU to 1.1GHZ only to keep it stable. Yes I need a new PSU right??

Well how come it worked before without the fan and normal speed and now it needs to be downlocked as well?? How can I maximize the output of my 300W supply while I scrounge up some loose change to buy a new PSU??

Anything I can unplug/downclock that isn't as important as a CPU/Geforce4/Ram??

Thanks in advance.

Other than CPU/GPU/RAM, the components that draw the most power are normally the hard disk and the cdrom drive. You are probably stuck as far as the hard disk is concerned - there may be programs that can slow down the cdrom drive for you.

Edit: read your other threads - the cdrom drive thingy may not help that much in 3dmark2001, as it obviously doesn't use it for anything.

er followin from arjans post

does anyone know of any generic HD utils to make the drive quieter? seen an intel chipset one

need one for me maxtor hd / sis chipset

searched both sites and found nothing

Back