How can I topple all my previous attempts at looking like an idiot?

K.I.L.E.R said:
That's because you don't want to acknowledge that you have never used an LCD. :LOL:
If I had listened to you I would have not been happy with my purchase.
You purposely mislead people for God only knows what reason.
I will never take hardware advice from you.
Have you used a top-end CRT (I mean a properly calibrated $3000AU+ CRT)? Imaging professionals (photographers, designers) use CRT over LCD and they do so because the best CRTs have better dynamic range and colour fidelity than even the best LCDs. So basically... the people who have the money and care enough use CRTs, not LCDs. Period.

For the rest of us LCDs knock the crap out of CRTs in almost all other measures. Hell I'm a photographer and I use an LCD because photography isn't my profession, and I have to weigh my requirements for that against all the other stuff I do on my PC. LCD is good enough for my photographic needs. But I'm not about to pretend that the people who earn their living off photography don't know what they're talking about on this issue.

nutball said:
Have you used a top-end CRT (I mean a properly calibrated $3000AU+ CRT)? Imaging professionals (photographers, designers) use CRT over LCD and they do so because the best CRTs have better dynamic range and colour fidelity than even the best LCDs. So basically... the people who have the money and care enough use CRTs, not LCDs. Period.

For the rest of us LCDs knock the crap out of CRTs in almost all other measures. Hell I'm a photographer and I use an LCD because photography isn't my profession, and I have to weigh my requirements for that against all the other stuff I do on my PC. LCD is good enough for my photographic needs. But I'm not about to pretend that the people who earn their living off photography don't know what they're talking about on this issue.

EDIT:
Whoops it was Nutball in the original thread and I'm responding to him now.
I don't disagree with you Nutball. Sorry, I'm just sore about Radeonic giving me bad and misleading advice.
I've played Clive Barker's Undying and I didn't even need to touch the gamma. Everything looks much more natural on my LCD than my CRT.
Due to LCD gamma ramp being different from CRT.

K.I.L.E.R said:
EDIT:
Whoops it was Nutball in the original thread and I'm responding to him now.
I don't disagree with you Nutball. Sorry, I'm just sore about Radeonic giving me bad and misleading advice.
I've played Clive Barker's Undying and I didn't even need to touch the gamma. Everything looks much more natural on my LCD than my CRT.
Due to LCD gamma ramp being different from CRT.

You're good with names aren't you?

Nutball, so lcds are great for gamers who frequently have to change resolutions because maybe one game will run fine at 1600x1200 (native res for a 20") but another will only run fine at 1024x768?
Scaling- lcds only look good at one res (arguably two for said 1600x1200 lcd.. 800x600 but thats so low res it looks like ass.)
Or perhaps one game (on a crt) looks better at lower res with high FSAA where another looks better at higher res?
Until lcds have consistent quality across a variety of resolutions they are simply a space saver and perhaps bling.

Response to kilers edit- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
If you think your lcd looks better than your crt, thats fine, but with objective measurements crts are simply a better technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
Nutball, so lcds are great for gamers who frequently have to change resolutions because maybe one game will run fine at 1600x1200 (native res for a 20") but another will only run fine at 1024x768?
Scaling- lcds only look good at one res (arguably two for said 1600x1200 lcd.. 800x600 but thats so low res it looks like ass.)
Or perhaps one game (on a crt) looks better at lower res with high FSAA where another looks better at higher res?
Until lcds have consistent quality across a variety of resolutions they are simply a space saver and perhaps bling.

I don't play those sorts of games, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.

nutball said:
I don't play those sorts of games, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.
what do you mean "those sorts of games"?
Play HL2 and quake 4 and tell me which one responds better to FSAA and which one responds better to resolution.
Btw nice job quoting me on eye of the beholder.

radeonic2 said:
what do you mean "those sorts of games"?
Games which I can't play at the native res of my LCD.

Neither do most people in the Universe. What fraction of PCs in the world do you think *ever* play a resolution-sensitive game? Gamers are a minority audience, most PCs sit on desks in offices and run Excel and/or Word all day, and most home PCs don't play anything more stressful than Sim Barbie's Pony 2 ... for most people LCDs are a better solution than CRTs.

I play Half Life 2 at 1024x768 and it looks a hell of a lot better than the 21" Samsung CRT I've seen.

CRTs are not better technology.
People will continue to use them but that's no different than people still using Pentium 2 systems(minus those people that Nutball mentioned, I take his word for it).

This doesn't excuse you for giving me bad/misleading advice.
I demand an apology for giving me horrible advice.

nutball said:
Games which I can't play at the native res of my LCD.

Neither do most people in the Universe. What fraction of PCs in the world do you think *ever* play a resolution-sensitive game? Gamers are a minority audience, most PCs sit on desks in offices and run Excel and/or Word all day, and most home PCs don't play anything more stressful than Sim Barbie's Pony 2 ... for most people LCDs are a better solution than CRTs.
Then you aren't really a gamer so it doesn't apply to you,
K.I.L.E.R said:
I play Half Life 2 at 1024x768 and it looks a hell of a lot better than the 21" Samsung CRT I've seen.

CRTs are not better technology.
People will continue to use them but that's no different than people still using Pentium 2 systems(minus those people that Nutball mentioned, I take his word for it).

This doesn't excuse you for giving me bad/misleading advice.
I demand an apology for giving me horrible advice.
Keep telling your self that to give your self reassurance in your mother's purchase of your LCD.
I've already told you the facts.
Crts offer better blacks (easy to see in dark rooms) and look good at more than 1 measily res better colors etc.
Do your self a favor and look at an lcd review that shows gamma curves.
Now back to CSI: dark motives..
Ok game.. too bad you can't choose your res... wierd.
Good thing I use an CRT so it's still sharp :p

The day a CRT could be considered sharp is the day I win a drivers license from a cereal box.

So are you going to apologise for misleading advice?

radeonic2 said:
Then you aren't really a gamer so it doesn't apply to you,

Keep telling your self that to give your self reassurance in your mother's purchase of your LCD.
I've already told you the facts.
Crts offer better blacks (easy to see in dark rooms) and look good at more than 1 measily res better colors etc.
Do your self a favor and look at an lcd review that shows gamma curves.
Now back to CSI: dark motives..
Ok game.. too bad you can't choose your res... wierd.
Good thing I use an CRT so it's still sharp :p

K.I.L.E.R said:
The day a CRT could be considered sharp is the day I win a drivers license from a cereal box.

So are you going to apologise for misleading advice?
Um you can't really generalize like that since you can have .27 and worse dotpitchs for crts all the way to .22 and better.
the one I use is quite bad actually :D .26 but it's good enough for a freebie.
Conversely, the day an LCD is considered to have deep blacks is the day I meet the girl of my dreams who is in awe with me as I am with her ;)

I will apologize for misleading advice as soon as said misleading advice is pointed out by someone who doesn't blindly worship go....er lcds.
You thought I was gonna say god didn't you;)

My previous one was a .25 dotpitch.
You don't have much credibility.
At least gain some credibility by apologising for your crap advice.

radeonic2 said:
Um you can't really generalize like that since you can have .27 and worse dotpitchs for crts all the way to .22 and better.
the one I use is quite bad actually :D .26 but it's good enough for a freebie.
Conversely, the day an LCD is considered to have deep blacks is the day I meet the girl of my dreams who is in awe with me as I am with her ;)

I will apologize for misleading advice as soon as said misleading advice is pointed out by someone who doesn't blindly worship go....er lcds.
You thought I was gonna say god didn't you;)

K.I.L.E.R said:
My previous one was a .25 dotpitch.
You don't have much credibility.
At least gain some credibility by apologising for your crap advice.
So we both don't own good crts.
Whats your point?

It's arrogant of you to tell me to apologize for giving bad advice when infact I am stateing my opinion based on facts.
You ignore the cons of lcds while I have acknowledged that lcds are sharper.
You're going to have to admit that crts atleast do something better since I have admitted lcds are sharper;)

What time is it kangaroo land?

You misled me and I demand an apology or you can go on my ignore list.
It's your choice.

radeonic2 said:
So we both don't own good crts.
Whats your point?

It's arrogant of you to tell me to apologize for giving bad advice when infact I am stateing my opinion based on facts.
You ignore the cons of lcds while I have acknowledged that lcds are sharper.
You're going to have to admit that crts atleast do something better since I have admitted lcds are sharper;)

What time is it kangaroo land?

Back in the old thread you were telling me that if I liked to have the best image quality that I should buy a CRT.
However none of the CRTs I've seen had better image quality than my CRT that I've used.
Nutball came around and told me that I needed to spend a hell of a lot more money to get a CRT that has the benefit of displaying better colours.

However when using my LCD I never experienced any of the things you mentioned besides the filtering is there but it still looks sharper than my CRT at 1024x768(both monitors), which you kept stating wasn't.

So you either lied or mislead me. I don't really know which it was.

radeonic2 said:
misled you where?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Back in the old thread you were telling me that if I liked to have the best image quality that I should buy a CRT.
However none of the CRTs I've seen had better image quality than my CRT that I've used.
Nutball came around and told me that I needed to spend a hell of a lot more money to get a CRT that has the benefit of displaying better colours.

However when using my LCD I never experienced any of the things you mentioned besides the filtering is there but it still looks sharper than my CRT at 1024x768(both monitors), which you kept stating wasn't.

So you either lied or mislead me. I don't really know which it was.
I neither lied or mislead you.
I gave you my opinion based on facts which still is valid.
You may find your lcd to look better in your eyes but in objective i.e not just eyeballing them and doing tests like contrast ratio (greatly related to the inferior blacks lcd offer) gamma ramps etc crts are better unless you buy some 50 doller crt from 1990.
Go on and say your lcd is better and that's fine, but in measurements your crt likely offers better colors, more natural, undoubtedly better blacks and is able to retain it's IQ across several resolutions.
I'm going to bed.. see you in the morning sweet cheeks :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Then why doesn't it look better than my LCD?
Why do other people I spoke to say the opposite that you do?
There were 2 other people than yourself out of everyone I asked that said a CRT was better than an LCD.
Beyond3D isn't the only site I go to for hardware advice.
The Internet isn't the only medium I use to get advice.

Go on and say your lcd is better and that's fine, but in measurements your crt likely offers better colors, more natural, undoubtedly better blacks and is able to retain it's IQ across several resolutions.

he has legitimate points. LCD's simply cannot compare to quality, properly-calibrated CRT's when it comes to accurate colour representation and contrast. You'll never have a deep solid black on an LCD like you do on a CRT. LCD's have a native resolution, if you run them at a different resolution the scaling that has to be done to the picture turns it into crap.

that being said, even the best CRT's have their own faults- individual pixels will never be as sharp as an LCD, the only truely flat CRT's I've seen were Trinitron and they have issues with being made over a certain size, you cannot escape having to look through a thick peice of glass to see the picture, and even at refresh rates over 120hz there is still a strong difference between that and an active matrix LCD in which the picture never has black or fading intermediate moments between frames. CRT's are limited by the RAMDAC on the video card you are using.

People percieve everything differently. Some people will be more sensative to the LCD's problems and some people will be more sensative to the CRT's problems. Right now, you can't really say that either one is greater than the other in every aspect. Let's just look forward to OLED displays which should reduce or remove alltogether the brightness/contrast and colour issues of LCD's.

And, as for the resolution issue, with my LCD I just ran everything at it's native resolution and made minor adjustments to other graphical settings. Who cares if you lose a little performance as long as it's still playable.

Guys, chill. If you have a LCD with a resolution equal to that of a CRT (not that hard), different resolutions will still look much better on the CRT, just because it has no sharp pixels at all. While the LCD has.

It's all a difference of taste. For me, I cannot stand CRT's anymore now I have a laptop with a good LCD. I like sharp and restful, others like other things. It depends.

K.I.L.E.R, if you want good advice, be wise and ask different knowledgeable people. They probably don't agree completely about the issue either.

Back