How and where can a site make money?

Reverend

Banned
I've been out of the loop insofar as making money for a site is concerned, but is it true that the huge bulk of a site's income comes from advertising?

What other ways (besides displayed advertisements) can (or perhaps should) a site make money?

Subscription (with benefits, obviously). I am not sure how well this works on the lower levels, but if you have some serious insight to share you could publish a PDF or something like that with information that matches the price thereof.

You could also go pop-culture and sell t-shirts, mugs, and hats with your name on them. Maybe a golf towel as well. The sky's the limit.

Wouldn't the easiest be to sell yourself as an advertisement where people least expect it? As in "sell out", take money under the table to trump up a certain brand etc, disguising it as "fair and balanced"?:devilish:

Get people to sign on to your forum and then sell the emails for targetted advertising. Also deserves a :devilish:

It totally depends on what the site is there for - many websites are either small hobbyist pages that aren't designed to make money or they are large, corporate sites that act as sales brochures. Neither of these models need to make money directly from the website as that isn't their intention.

However, I presume you are talking about sites such as Beyond3D, in which case there are a few models to look at:

1. Old-style banner adverts.
  2. Newer, context sensitive adverts such as Google AdSense.
  3. Affiliate programs (if you review books you can have an affiliate program with, say, Amazon. If you review hardware you can do same with hardware retailers).
  4. Subscription model - usually this involves people paying a subscription fee to access premium content (such as GameSpot offer).
  5. E-Commerce - selling products direct. In the case of B3D this would probably be limited to selling site-branded stuff such as B3D t-shirts or mousemats etc.
All have their advantages and disadvantages. There are other ways too (such as licensing content) but these probably wouldn't be too applicable.

Back