HotD: "Oregon snorkeler mistaken for rodent, shot in face"

William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana. He was being held in the county jail.
Note to all hunters: pot and crystal meth are NOT a recommended combination for a happy, safe hunting trip. :???:

Anyone else wonder why a SIXTY year old is running around with pot and crystal?

Also, it was only a .22, which in the firearms world is a hyped up bb gun. Provided the caliber was any higher, the snorkeler would be dead.

Also, it was only a .22, which in the firearms world is a hyped up bb gun. Provided the caliber was any higher, the snorkeler would be dead.

I didnt know there was an age limit when drugs suddenly stopped being addictive.

I didnt know there was an age limit when drugs suddenly stopped being addictive.

Hardly. I was more poking fun at the fact that someone the age of my grandfather is out in the bush shooting snorkelers in the face with a .22 while under the influence of pot and meth. Wouldn't anyone with an ounce of responsibility at that age address their addictions?

Errr...the M16 shoots .223 round which is only slightly smaller. I'm kinda certain that isn't a 'hyped up bb gun'. ;)

Errr...the M16 shoots .223 round which is only slightly smaller. I'm kinda certain that isn't a 'hyped up bb gun'. ;)

What differentiates ammunition from one another is their load. Don't let size fool you, although I know for a fact 5.56 ammuntion is considerably larger than a .22 round. Also 5.56 ammunition is typically jacketed.

5.56:

http://z.about.com/f/wiki/e/en/thum...y-rounds.jpg/200px-5.56mm-military-rounds.jpg

.22:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/982500/2/istockphoto_982500_pile_of_bullets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What differentiates ammunition from one another is their load. Don't let size fool you, although I know for a fact 5.56 ammuntion is considerably larger than a .22 round. Also 5.56 ammunition is typically jacketed.

5.56:

http://z.about.com/f/wiki/e/en/thum...y-rounds.jpg/200px-5.56mm-military-rounds.jpg

.22:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/982500/2/istockphoto_982500_pile_of_bullets.jpg

Yes, the casings are hugely different in size (because of the load), but the caliber of the bullet is nearly identical.

Yes, the casings are hugely different in size (because of the load), but the caliber of the bullet is nearly identical.

Caliber referrences the rifle barrel diameter. For example 7.62 ammunition indicates that the barrel of the rifle requires a 7.62mm projectile. Therefore, I don't see, mathematically, how .22 matches 5.56. The weight of a .22 LR round weighs 3.9 grams with a velocity of 110 to 530 m/s, whereas 5.56 weighs 5.18 grams with a veloctiy of 772–930 m/s.

In English, due to the physical size difference between the two rounds, the 5.56 requires a higher caliber barrel.

Do the conversion,

5.56mm is .223in in ".22" speak, which is actually .224in (slightly larger than 5.56mm)

Hence, the bullet is the same caliber, which says nothing about weight, length, or composition.

Do the conversion,

5.56mm is .223in in ".22" speak, which is actually .224in (slightly larger than 5.56mm)

Hence, the bullet is the same caliber, which says nothing about weight, length, or composition.

I still don't see it. What's ".22 speak?" .224 is a variant of .223.

A .22 barrel bore is .225 inches in diameter

A 5.56 barrel bore is .223 inches

The .22 actually is a higher caliber than the 5.56mm.

Anyways, this is a silly argument. The 5.56 (or .223) from a civilian rifle has a ton more power than a 22LR and isn't a solid lead slug, which means, yes, being shot from a gun that shoots 5.56mm rounds in the head probably would have killed him.

Back