Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
The game is far more than inconsistent... you just have to chek out some Youtube videos to see that is very far from being a technical achievement, especially on console : far too much pop up, poor physics, bad animations, etc.

I've never been impressed by this game.

As for ray tracing, it's like resolution to me : it's a good feature but not the most important one.

For instance, i prefer a game running at 1440p with more refined graphics than a 4K game sacrificing a lot for a higher resolution.

If a developer has to limit himself too much for ray tracing, then that might not been the best use of the available resources.

I dont have to look at youtube videos. I was lucky that i managed to snatch a 3080 right at launch day, back in september 17th and thats what i used to play Cyberpunk start to finish. It doesnt have the same work put into all aspects of the game as it does in the main path and the story heavy sidemissions, but regardless of that. What it is there, its the game with the most RT features out of any game, that all acumulate for the final image which until this point is at the very top of every other game in existence.

What you see on youtube are compilations of various bugs gathered from n sources and their goal is to amuse and be funny. It doesnt mean playing the game normally is gonna be like that.

At this point in time, for a game to claim top spot, i consider ray tracing to be mandatory. You cant just have nice textures and nice models, but all the faults of raterization with them. Thats how i see it anyway

No lol + the game is running at 60fps, so it's a hard task.

I rather thought about the game developed by Ninja Theory.

So once again, PS5 currently takes the lead in my opinion, but it's rather because the competition hasn't showed yet.

You think Hellbade 2 made on Unreal Engine 5 will release this year. Most of the games shown by Microsft used offline rendering or in engine stuff because they are far from release. Few games will release in 2022 and most of them in 2023 and 2024.

Jeff Grubb told they will not show Hellblade 2 at E3 2021 because they only want to show realtime and gameplay.

Anyway, the environment displayed in the demo wasn't especially to showcase ray tracing. I mean the level didn't have any reflection.

Ray Tracing is just more accurate/life like lighting. Reflections may be the most obvious way to show it off right now but I'd argue they are not it's most effective use. The most effective use is simply lighting the scene as it would be lit (and shadowed) in real life. That's what you're seeing in the UE5 demo - that's why it looks so life like (along with the crazy geometry of course). I'd argue that lighting is possibly the most important factor in a game for good graphics. Geometry is another factor but just look at what good lighting can do to Minecraft for example with PS1 level geometry! Metro Exodus enhanced is another excellent use game.

And while HFW looks absolutely gorgeous, I'm sure it would look even better with fully ray traced lighting (which is obviously out of reach for current hardware unfortunately). For one, Aloy could not stick out from the environment as she currently does, but appear fully integrated into it.

HFW gave me the impression of looking at Uncharted level graphics in an open world, which is very impressive.

Of course there are some areas that can be improved. Like starting the gameplay section with a cutscene [emoji16] but more importantly, the animation, both when she runs and most of the acting. But some animations look decidedly better than others so well see.

This game at least proves traditionnal techniques + very high native resolution (probably 4K) + 30fps mean strong diminushing returns. I have being more impressed by 3 games: Demon's souls, Ratchet and even Returnal.

But while they didn't innovate with the graphics, they actually heard the gamers and improved the gameplay where it was needed, which was the most important.

It's funny to me how folks come to conclusions with early footage of game that only shows small part of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the game sees very significant amount of polish and optimization before release and possibly even after release. Compare this to cyberpunk or any other complicated modern openworld game. These big games rarely ship ready. Furthermore we probably are 4-5months away from release still.

It's a bit same as if someone decided based on ue5 footage that ue5 cannot do vegetation. It's possible to come all kinds of invalid conclusions.

anyway, I'm in for horizon due to gameplay. The graphics already are plenty to make the gameplay fun and rewarding.

Last edited:
Battlefield 6 is developed by two different teams one for old gens consoles and other one for current gen consoles and PC.
but I heard no singleplayer only multiplayer, it would be hard targeting mp to show jawdropping graphics

One more thing that made so good impression, last year presentation was only cutscenes and for me trailers with cutscenes are like meh, we got like so many crazy looking even in realitme cutscenes and gameplay looking like generation back (ff7r), here, yeah for sure there are some differences but generally so smooth transition, very impressive

I dont have to look at youtube videos. I was lucky that i managed to snatch a 3080 right at launch day, back in september 17th and thats what i used to play Cyberpunk start to finish. It doesnt have the same work put into all aspects of the game as it does in the main path and the story heavy sidemissions, but regardless of that. What it is there, its the game with the most RT features out of any game, that all acumulate for the final image which until this point is at the very top of every other game in existence.

What you see on youtube are compilations of various bugs gathered from n sources and their goal is to amuse and be funny. It doesnt mean playing the game normally is gonna be like that.

At this point in time, for a game to claim top spot, i consider ray tracing to be mandatory. You cant just have nice textures and nice models, but all the faults of raterization with them. Thats how i see it anyway
For many of us, graphics is not just how many RT effects you tack onto a game with so many other faults. Animation, LOD, materials and much more. I’d trade every RT effect in that game to improve those other areas as it would result in better final image.

PS5 currently takes the lead in my opinion

As opposed to xbox perhaps, but to pc, nah. CP2077 on a capable gaming system, all maxed out, in many scenes absolutely overshadows anythin sony has come with. Theres a reason it landed number 1 on DFs list (above DS which isnt far from rift apart/hfw etc).

They have screen space reflection + planar reflection on water. It seems they improve GI a lot too compared to the first game.

They are impressed by the LOD management.

Digitalfoundry is worrying about the PS4 version.

The video use for some comparison HZD PC and the difference is huge even using the PC version.

Last edited:
Digitalfoundry is worrying about the PS4 version.

Yet, they think it can be indentified as a cross-gen game, which it is. I dont doubt GG got this running on the PS4, the game is coming to both platforms (and pc later). I really doubt Sony/GG is going to deliver a bad experience for the largest market which is the PS4 by a landslide.
Also, weve seen mostly cinematic gameplay so far, per what DF said.

For many of us, graphics is not just how many RT effects you tack onto a game with so many other faults. Animation, LOD, materials and much more. I’d trade every RT effect in that game to improve those other areas as it would result in better final image.

But there's ray tracing you know...

Wow, this game looks mind blowing good. Initially i was disappointed from Sonys next gen games, but not anymore. Disney channel on steroids, hehe :)
I think only games can do such perfect grading. Real world movies lack precision maybe.
Usually i hate rim lighting to pop characters, but even that looks done right here.

Back