Hogwarts Legacy [PC Details]

The real question is why are VRAM requirements going up when texture and asset quality aren’t getting any better. Sorry to say but it screams “lazy devs” to me.
Partly because pure DX12 games requires more VRAM and RAM management than DX11 (which had the driver handle it), DX12 also consumes more VRAM by default, If developers don't put the work necessary to properly manage all of this, VRAM consumption will and does explode.

Frame generation, at least on DLSS3, seems to require more VRAM. So even if 4070Ti can max out Cyberpunk at 4k60 with DLSSQ + FG, it starts stuttering due to running out of VRAM.

4090 can get 4k60 with native+FG but the VRAM requirements start nearing 16GB, or even higher if you're using texture mods.

pRAmlE2.jpg

Frame generation, at least on DLSS3, seems to require more VRAM. So even if 4070Ti can max out Cyberpunk at 4k60 with DLSSQ + FG, it starts stuttering due to running out of VRAM.

4090 can get 4k60 with native+FG but the VRAM requirements start nearing 16GB, or even higher if you're using texture mods.

pRAmlE2.jpg
Thanks, plan to sell rtx 3070 and buy 4070ti has been shelved.

Nvidia being too stingy with vram Hopefully bite their asses

Turns out the game supports NVIDIA ansel, and you can even use super resolution shots. Imo this game is peak UE4.

NW2F7dZ.jpg

@orangelupa I feel like 8 GB at 1440p can weather the storm for 1-1.5 more year without ray tracing + reduced texture quality (not blob textures, but good enough textures). Then maybe NVIDIA will decide to grace proper 16 GB buffer to a 5070.

Trinibwoy is right. Performance is dropping and resource usage is climbing with no actual increase to visuals or the experience.

How about Callisto ?
I didn't play it enough to judge it , is it that good? To me what makes Legacy is that its an open world setting. To be fair I hated Callisto because animations looked jank. They really nailed the combat in H:Legacy. Even filler missions are a joy simply because I want to cast some spells and do some combos. This reminds me of playing Arkham City just to beat thugs here and there lol.

I didn't play it enough to judge it , is it that good? To me what makes Legacy is that its an open world setting. To be fair I hated Callisto because animations looked jank. They really nailed the combat in H:Legacy. Even filler missions are a joy simply because I want to cast some spells and do some combos. This reminds me of playing Arkham City just to beat thugs here and there lol.

yeah, it's tremendous visually. When the DF guys said if not for the technical problems it could have been their number 1 game of 2022 visually, i did not take issue with that statement

Btw direct storage should alleviate the vram issue right?

But it didn't help forspoken at all.

Hogwash use direct storage or not?
DirectStorage really needs to be a baseline design choice for it to really gain significant RAM usage advantages. It will completely change how you do memory management.

I get the impression that Forspoken on PC really only took advantage of the general file API improvements, along with the developer's obvious priority for optimizing load times(which is evident by the quite good loading times even without DS).

DirectStorage really needs to be a baseline design choice for it to really gain significant RAM usage advantages. It will completely change how you do memory management.

I get the impression that Forspoken on PC really only took advantage of the general file API improvements, along with the developer's obvious priority for optimizing load times(which is evident by the quite good loading times even without DS).
But why should they, if the mantra of "RAM is cheap, 32 GB is baseline" becomes cemented in PC gaming space? Even thanks to this game I've seen hundreds of posts people jumping the ship to 32 GB RAM and say that alleviated their stuters andp erformance profile. Probably thousands of people have already jumped ship thanks to this one single game. More and more will jump the ship as games start to struggle big time on 16 gigs.

32 gigs is a huge number that should even alleviate the need of any fancy directstorage tech for future games. That's why I'm skeptical towards DirectStorage or any technology that claims it can reduce "ram" usage.

32 gigs is a huge number that should even alleviate the need of any fancy directstorage tech for future games.
To be fair, 16GB has been long in the tooth for PC gamers, I know a lot of decade old PCs with old CPUs which have 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a fast GPU (myself included), time to upgrade these PCs and a 24GB or 32GB of RAM sounds fair these days considering the demands of the OS and the demands of the new gen.

Last edited:
But why should they, if the mantra of "RAM is cheap, 32 GB is baseline" becomes cemented in PC gaming space? Even thanks to this game I've seen hundreds of posts people jumping the ship to 32 GB RAM and say that alleviated their stuters andp erformance profile. Probably thousands of people have already jumped ship thanks to this one single game. More and more will jump the ship as games start to struggle big time on 16 gigs.

32 gigs is a huge number that should even alleviate the need of any fancy directstorage tech for future games. That's why I'm skeptical towards DirectStorage or any technology that claims it can reduce "ram" usage.
That's the benefit of igpu, I suppose

Why should they? Cuz they're already doing it on consoles and would obviously prefer to carry over work from there instead of trying to make it work in a very different way on another platform if at all possible. And once the necessary engine changes are made and everything, it really makes for less headaches for developers in terms of I/O optimizations and everything, which are one of the major problems they run into.

Also, you're talking about system memory, but VRAM is probably more important overall. Though yes, 32GB being normal this generation shouldn't be surprising. RAM requirements go up in time, and 24GB will not be a common setup for obvious reasons.

You can be skeptical if you like, but DirectStorage(and its console equivalents) will be the new paradigm in developing games soon enough, at least for more demanding titles. Also, the point isn't that it'll reduce RAM requirements from where we are now necessarily, just where they would otherwise be. A normal console generation would have at least an 8x increase in memory. The SSD's are specifically being used to make better use of a smaller pool of VRAM since they cant have 64GB or whatever(and neither will PC's). Having more memory available on PC is certainly going to help still, but there's every reason for them to still want to utilize DirectStorage as they are on consoles.

I don't really understand all these posts that say well obviously you need oodles of ram and vram because next gen game. Is this game doing anything that would justify that? Because as far as I can tell it's not really doing anything other games aren't doing. Combined with the low CPU utilization issues isn't this more a case of bugs/poor optimization?

Turns out the game supports NVIDIA ansel, and you can even use super resolution shots. Imo this game is peak UE4.

NW2F7dZ.jpg

@orangelupa I feel like 8 GB at 1440p can weather the storm for 1-1.5 more year without ray tracing + reduced texture quality (not blob textures, but good enough textures). Then maybe NVIDIA will decide to grace proper 16 GB buffer to a 5070.
I'd love to see a Discworld game with this level of fidelity.

Back