Help me out with my next upgrade

Cobski

Newcomer
Hey. I've been thinking about what my next upgrade should be, but I haven't really come to a clear conclusion. I could use some help. I have a pretty good knowledge of computer hardware, so don't spare any technological facts. Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2GHz
MSI RX9800PRO-TD128
512 MB of RAM (Can't seem to remember what type exactly, definatly DDR)
40 Gig HDD (7200 RPM with a 4Mb buffer. I don't really mind the small size. I use this PC for gaming, and I don't usually have a lot of huge games installed at once.)
My old case's power suppy broke, so I'm using a case with a 300 watt power supply right now.

I'm leaning towards a new case first(probably 400+ watts), and then picking up two more 256Mb strips of RAM, as I have two empty slots left. I might then try my luck at softmodding my MSI Radeon 9800 Pro to an XT. I checked, and it does use the R360 core. Anyone have any experience doing this with an MSI Radeon? I'd perfer a more eductated opinion on all this. Thanks :D .

Well, a gaming machine should definately have a gig of memory these days. And I'd prefer more then 300 watts of power. I think you're on the right track.

I flashed my Sapphire to an xt. It went easy and smooth because of dumb luck and due care. But that's a bit different from what you're planning.

One thing I don't get: How can you survive with only 40 slow gb? :oops: :? :LOL: :p

Nobody needs more than 300W power supply. You'd have to run a load of harddrives or such to break that limit, even in a gaming rig.

What people need are GOOD power supplies that don't buckle under stress, the actual wattage rating is quite secondary really. Electronics simply don't draw that much power, not even today in this era of prescotts and dual-molex powerplug vidcards.

Cobski said:
picking up two more 256Mb strips of RAM, as I have two empty slots left.
Do you have a nforce2 chipset, with 2 ram modules already installed? Otherwise there's no point in buying 2 256MB modules instead of a 512MB one.

Thanks for the replies. My next upgrade will be RAM then. I'm pretty sure I have an nforce2 chipset, but I'll have to check it out to be sure.

One thing I don't get: How can you survive with only 40 slow gb? :oops: :? :LOL: :p

Hehe, It doesn't really bother me. I have two gaming quality computers, so the the small size is no big deal. I don't really notice the slowness that much either.

Im still using my Seagate 2 meg buffer 40 gig CudaIV for 4 years and works great.
Cobski, I nerver heard of a 4 meg buffer 7200 PATA hard drive. Its should be a 2 meg or a 8 meg.
I would get 1 512 meg and not 2 256. You should be able to duel channel with 2 512 but not 1 512 and 2 256. Try to mach the new 512 with the 512 stick you have to up the chances for duel channel memory.

Guden Oden said:
Nobody needs more than 300W power supply. You'd have to run a load of harddrives or such to break that limit, even in a gaming rig.

What people need are GOOD power supplies that don't buckle under stress, the actual wattage rating is quite secondary really. Electronics simply don't draw that much power, not even today in this era of prescotts and dual-molex powerplug vidcards.

you're simply wrong on that, Guden. I have a 350W Enermax and Enermax's are well-known for being able to EXCEDE their rated output. I put in a 6800GT and couldnt even run 3d apps without the system restarting. I put in a 420W Enermax and it worked like a charm.

Sage said:
you're simply wrong on that, Guden. I have a 350W Enermax and Enermax's are well-known for being able to EXCEDE their rated output. I put in a 6800GT and couldnt even run 3d apps without the system restarting. I put in a 420W Enermax and it worked like a charm.
Was that an older Enermax? Older PSU tend to have lots of power available on 3.3/5V rails, but not that much on 12V. And since nowadays both CPU and GPU pretty much exclusively use the 12V rail...

mczak

{Sniping}Waste said:
I would get 1 512 meg and not 2 256. You should be able to duel channel with 2 512 but not 1 512 and 2 256. Try to mach the new 512 with the 512 stick you have to up the chances for duel channel memory.

I have two 256 strips, not 1 512 :( . That's why I was going to go for two 256s.

Back