Heat issues....again

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
As of late I've noticed MAJOR increase in the heat of my GPU. I run an ATI X1900 XTX with a factory heatsink/fan on it. I've been monitoring the heat it produces since I had a scare involving me thinking it overheated, and have noticed as of late it's been averaging 75 degrees idle and 85-90 degrees and upwards when running an application such as Oblivion. I'm seriously considering an aftermarket fan now, a Zalman, but any suggestions for temporary fixes I could instill until I get the fan? Would the addition of another fan in my tower help? Also any explanation as to why the all of a sudden jump in levels of heat?

Thanks-

Ink

Blow out your card's cooler and fan with some air duster (be careful not to spin the fan with it). Make sure your case is being adequately cooled and hasn't got clogged filter. Make sure you haven't installed anything that will futz with the speed of the GPU fan such as ATItool.

Blow out your card's cooler and fan with some air duster (be careful not to spin the fan with it). Make sure your case is being adequately cooled and hasn't got clogged filter. Make sure you haven't installed anything that will futz with the speed of the GPU fan such as ATItool.

Sound advice, but I do use ATItool, in fact that's how I've been monitoring my temperature. I know there's adjustable fan settings that allow you to manually set the speed of your fan depending on the temp, but I've never messed with them. Does ATItool, once installed, become the new standard for fan speeds then, meaning does it redefine the factory defaults?

Sound advice, but I do use ATItool, in fact that's how I've been monitoring my temperature. I know there's adjustable fan settings that allow you to manually set the speed of your fan depending on the temp, but I've never messed with them. Does ATItool, once installed, become the new standard for fan speeds then, meaning does it redefine the factory defaults?

Yes. You should check the settings on it to make sure it's not downspeeding your fan.

Back